Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine

+13
docbiggles
marang
Dapper
dond4605
13gator69
horseman8m
Larry Simpson
BigDarkster
Steve-O
Utah Motorcyclist
Badmoon
onei
hasbro56
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine Empty Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine

Post  hasbro56 Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:58 pm

Got latest issue of Cruiser magazine today and page 70 has article about going Darkside. Writer takes the usual view that tire engineers think motorcycle tires have to be designed differently than car tires and basically agrees with them. However, he did say he was willing to put it to the test by spending some time with a Darksider for a day. The magazine currently has a VTX 1300R as a long term test bike, so I'm going to email him and see if we can set it up. I think the magazine staff is in LA/Orange County area, and I'm in Orange County, so if anybody else in the area wants in, let me know.

hasbro56

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine Empty Re: Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine

Post  onei Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:30 am

I hope he will interview you. At the same time, maybe he will want to interview several of us for a collective opinion. One day on a CT is not enough to get a true evaluation. He needs to ride in different weather (especially rain). I only have a little over 7,000 on mine, but I have ridden in high wind, rain, heat, cold, sweeping curves, and tight (peg dragging) twisties. I'm sure there are plenty of others here than can more than outdo me when it comes to experience and distance on the CT. I look forward to reading the review from him. Keep us posted.
onei
onei

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine Empty Re: Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine

Post  Badmoon Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:32 am

It is about time something like this has happened.
I saw a while back it was presented to a mag but they were unwilling to move forward. I am starting to feel that the general attitude for MC tires has changed for the cruzer type of bikes anyway. Dont get me wrong, you would not catch me on a crotch rocket with a MC tire unless I was at the drag strip.

Looking forward to hearing the results of this.
Thanks for posting.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  hasbro56 Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am

I'll keep watching this thread and give all the contacts to Zimmerman if he ever calls.

hasbro56

Back to top Go down

Post  Utah Motorcyclist Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:39 am

I'm glad they are doing it and I hope they don't take too bias of an opinion.
Utah Motorcyclist
Utah Motorcyclist

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:17 am

onei wrote: I only have a little over 7,000 on mine, but I have ridden in high wind, rain, heat, cold, sweeping curves, and tight (peg dragging) twisties. I'm sure there are plenty of others here than can more than outdo me when it comes to experience and distance on the CT.

Man, you are putting some MILES on that bike! I remember meeting you at Ennis last year. After 7k miles and your previous biking experience, I think your opinion matters. Plus you live in some REAL bike country.

I have not ridden in a blinding rainstorm yet. But high wind is what used to pucker my but. Not so much any more.

Ride on my friend. See you in the hill country one of these days. Let's plan a trip for this fall.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  hasbro56 Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Got a response from Mark Zimmerman at Cruiser magazine. He doesn't live on the West coast, he lives in Danbury, Conn.

The magazine has a 1300T for a long term project, so anyone with a 1300R, S or T should contact him to set something up. His email address is:

Zimmemr@aol.com

hasbro56

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDarkster Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 pm

You do of course realize that no matter how much he may like it, he can't possible endorse it.
The bike and tire manufactures would both come completely unglued if he did and would probably at least threaten to pull their advertizing dollars and send them elsewhere.
BigDarkster
BigDarkster

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  hasbro56 Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:38 pm

BigD, you're probably right, but I'd like to see what he says, even if he doesn't endorse it, or even print an article. I'd be happy if all he says is that he didn't get consumed in a ball of flames while riding!

I realize that the magazine has advertisers and liability problems if he endorsed the Darkside, but he's the one that made the offer, so it seems that he would at least tell his readers what he found. What's the downside?

hasbro56

Back to top Go down

Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine Empty re darkside chalenge in cruiser magazine

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:53 am

I beleive the downside could end in us all being illegal if you bring to much attention to us from the ones that are proffiting from the mc tires .(money talks, law makers can be bought) I personaly don't care what cruiser magazine thinks,don't need their approval either.sorry for the rant but you asked.RIDE SAFE Larry S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:33 am

YES this could all backfire on us, but the ball is rolling and we are going to have to see where it stops.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine Empty You started it,don't stop, keep it moving,follow it through

Post  13gator69 Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:33 pm

I belong to an organization called A.B.A.T.E. of Pa, you might have heard of us as those who fought the helmet laws and won. I've been involved over 19 yrs, and am currently a life member of this grass roots organization. Yes, the ball is rolling, keep going and move ahead no matter what gets thrown your way. The local A.B.A.T.E./CMRO in your area would be a good thing to join and convince those of what your doing, Publicity can be good or bad, youv'e got the proof,data,videos,tell the truth, not just want they want to hear I still get laughed at cause of the ct I'm running but have found out that Honda Valks and Wing riders are running ct's on their bikes as well. I hear them say it's just a fad no big deal to get serious about. My bud up north just got his ct mounted a week ago after I told him what I was doing,the place he went, to the owner a very older guy said that this is what they ran back around the 50's and 60's. I guess history does repeat itself.Maybe the mt manufactures will see that their tires are crap and do something about it since the idea is to get better mileage. I work in a field that supplies the auto manufactures,It hasn't been fun trying to keep your job,If they want cars to get better mileage why not bikes also, You could use that to prove a point also.Other than going through at least 2-3 tires a year I see this as a Godsend that I found someone else out there that enjoys what I do and gave me a great idea that does work.Education is the key use it , You guys that all helped me know what your doing and have a sense of commitment towards this. Youv'e done the homework,it's time to turn it in. Do It Up Baby! I'm behind you if you need help! Thanks alot for being here.Although talking with words seems like I know you guys,Keep the brother and sisterhood alive and get that patch made cause here in Pa even though I want 1, After proving this several others have made the switch and want 1 too.I will not go back to a mt again and if I ever buy another bike I will put a ct on it as well.Keep the rubber side down.Gator
13gator69
13gator69

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:46 pm

abate , i know , i saw abate and tackle shop in Valdosta. Very Happy Smile Laughing Sorry Gator , had to do it Very Happy Smile Laughing
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  dond4605 Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:18 pm

horseman8m wrote:abate , i know , i saw abate and tackle shop in Valdosta. Very Happy Smile Laughing Sorry Gator , had to do it Very Happy Smile Laughing
Now that's funny righ there. I don't care who ya are. Laughing Laughing I liked it even if Gator don't. I do wish I had thought of that though. Embarassed
dond4605
dond4605

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post  13gator69 Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:11 am

horseman8m wrote:abate , i know , i saw abate and tackle shop in Valdosta. Very Happy Smile Laughing Sorry Gator , had to do it Very Happy Smile Laughing
oooHH!!! HaHaHaHa cheers lol! lol! That wa a good one!You caught me Sleep
13gator69
13gator69

Back to top Go down

Post  13gator69 Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:13 am

13gator69 wrote:
oooHH!!! HaHaHaHa cheers lol! lol! That wa a good one!You caught me Sleep
At least we all have a sense of humor!
13gator69
13gator69

Back to top Go down

Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine Empty Darkside Challenge,

Post  13gator69 Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:38 am

Sorry,I wasn't trying to ##$@! Abate in your faces,just saying what's happened here,You guys gotta a great site,with alot of experienence and knowledge and whether any one believes or not,sometimes they have 2 c it or just do it. ThanxGator Keep the rubber side down
13gator69
13gator69

Back to top Go down

Post  Dapper Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:40 pm

I hope that this topic good or bad will get some publicity. I have only been riding several years and made the determination that everything associated with MCing is way over priced. Tires are one of the best examples especially when you refer to the cruiser segment. From what I have read you can get good quality CTs from 80-150.00 which lasts twice as long as a MT and has some good albeit different handling characteristics.
Dapper
Dapper

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:56 pm

A.B.A.T.E. is a good org. and Gator is doing good here , I was just joking around and didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Gator you should not be sorry for posting this , we need to know everything that can effect our driving.
Keep up the good work.
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  onei Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:30 am

Steve-O wrote:
onei wrote: I only have a little over 7,000 on mine, but I have ridden in high wind, rain, heat, cold, sweeping curves, and tight (peg dragging) twisties. I'm sure there are plenty of others here than can more than outdo me when it comes to experience and distance on the CT.

Man, you are putting some MILES on that bike! I remember meeting you at Ennis last year. After 7k miles and your previous biking experience, I think your opinion matters. Plus you live in some REAL bike country.

I have not ridden in a blinding rainstorm yet. But high wind is what used to pucker my but. Not so much any more.

Ride on my friend. See you in the hill country one of these days. Let's plan a trip for this fall.

Hey Steve,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I don't check this board every day. Sad Anyway, it was 8/21/08 when I went to the CT, I had 35,672 on it then - I am now at 42,830. It was about two weeks after we met that I got the CT mounted if I remember right. I average about 150 miles a week, without any extra trips. So I figure that I will come close to 10,000 miles on this tire this year. I'm hoping to get at least three years out of this tire - five would be great. Very Happy

I don't have much time for trip this year as I started a new job back in Nov., but next year I plan to ride the Dragon so that should be a great trip. I'm going to try and include at least four states that I have never been in on my bike on that trip. Who knows, I may even make it to Sturgis next year. I've always wanted to go see Mt. Rushmore.
onei
onei

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  marang Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:32 pm

Larry Simpson wrote:I beleive the downside could end in us all being illegal if you bring to much attention to us from the ones that are proffiting from the mc tires .(money talks, law makers can be bought) I personaly don't care what cruiser magazine thinks,don't need their approval either.sorry for the rant but you asked.RIDE SAFE Larry S.

I agree, we have found a great thing that works. I'd hate for lawyers to get involved with insurance companies and make the DS a thing of the "legal" past. I say let a sleeping dog lie. Kinda like when you find a great place in the woods to camp, fish etc. It has some awesome wildlife the water is clear as clear can be. So you tell some others, they tell some others and so on and so on. Then the government get wind about this place everyone is enjoying and decides to shut it down to the public cause of some white spotted owl or tree frog. Laughing Laughing I know stupid analogy but you get the idea.

Here's the artical in case some of ya missed it.

click here
marang
marang

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  docbiggles Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:51 am

So, has any body taken up the challenge yet?

Thanks Marang for posting a link to the story.

Cheers

Doc.
docbiggles
docbiggles

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-06-17

http://www.docbiggles.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine Empty RE DARKSIDE CHALLENGE IN CRUISER MAGIZINE

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Sense they are the self proclaimed (PROS) I would think they would want to test it like they would anything else.I wonder,do they ask for volunteers before they test MC tires or other parts suppliers that are willing to advertise with them before they form opinions Laughing Laughing
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  YoIdaho Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:21 pm

OK so I'm a little slow and haven't posted in in awhile...
Once again another thread on VTXOA about ct. Darkside challenge in Cruiser magazine Banghead
But this time a link to Zimmerman's article was shared
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/0907_crup_mounting_car_tires_on_motorcycles/index.html
has anyone taken him up on his offer?
There is no way in H-E double toothpicks that anyone can make or take away someones choice to ride on a CT.good grunt!
I say this article is a good plug for riding the ds way....~M
btw will you please add a banghead to the little guys & gals on the right?
bounce
YoIdaho
YoIdaho

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:36 am

somebody email him to shag his self on to the carolinas, he can try my vlx.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next