Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road Rash Finally!-Unfortunately!

+5
dino
horseman8m
smokey2255
nodakbassmaster
T3REBEL
9 posters

Go down

Road Rash Finally!-Unfortunately! Empty Road Rash Finally!-Unfortunately!

Post  T3REBEL Sat May 30, 2009 12:00 am

Well, it finally happened! The wreck last night was the third one that I have had but up to now have been able to avoid road rash but this one was the lucky charm. I had gotten off work and met my wife and son at the ballfield to watch him play ball. Clint is eight and plays outfield on a church league team that is currently in first place. (proud poppa!) Anyway, after the game we went to Chick-Fil-A to eat and then Pam and Clint went on home. I went to Walmart to get some pool supplies and then headed home. It was approximately 9:30 and I live out in the country about 15 miles outside of town. I was headed up my road and saw the damn deer on the side of the road next to the woods. It was moving so I was trying to determine my safest way around it. It jumped out and paused as if he was going to return back the way he came but then jumped more into my path. By this time I had jammed the brakes to keep from hitting it and launching myself over the handlebars but had to lay it down to keep from running off the road and airborne into the woods! Did I mention DAMN DEER! Had a lot of neighbors assist me in getting the bike off the road and attending to my medical needs! I live in a great community! Fortunately, I was spared any broken bones and mostly cosmetic damage to the bike but I didn't miss the road rash this time. I am blessed that I am able to write this message and the doctor says I can go back to work Monday if I am up to it! It is my wish that none of you ever have to experience road rash but as in situation I am taking a positive look at what happened. I thank God that I am here to write this, my cousin died last year on his motorcycle at the young age of 22, and now I am considering a light bar on the front and will definitely invest in a better jacket. Hope everyone who reads this will invest in the necessary gear or equipment to keep yourself safe. Ride safe and I will be back out there with you as soon as they can repair the bike. T J
T3REBEL
T3REBEL

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Road Rash Finally!-Unfortunately! Empty Re: Road Rash Finally!-Unfortunately!

Post  nodakbassmaster Sat May 30, 2009 12:50 am

glad it wasn't worse! The bike can be fixed.....
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat May 30, 2009 1:34 am

TJ, glad it's not worse. the bike indeed can be fixed. I dont want to hijack your thread ..... but .... how long have you been riding and to what extent?

I ask these questions because I am not a fan of ever laying the bike down. If you had shed enough speed to feel comfortable dragging your flesh along the pavement, you probably shed enough to be able to steer around the deer or at least minimize the impact hitting the deer. I am a fan of aiming dead center and riding through the impact hard on the throttle. I know I wasn't there and that the pucker oh sheet factor was yours alone on that dark road. I did however ride through an impact with a 60-70 pound dog a few weeks ago and I have no doubt that grabbing a fist full of throttle and rolling through is all that kept me up throughout the impact. The dogs blood is still on my scoot as a reminder everytime I get on it. I am involved in several MC related forums and the general concensus is to ride through. The only differences is on where to aim. Some say rear hips some dead center. All agree roll on the throttle and stay on the bike. Never quit riding it. I promise you the bike will let you know when you are getting off. A lot of years on dirt bikes teaches a fella, or lady, that. I gave up dirt riding cause it hurts to much and theres always an idiot making me hurt myself, yeah me. I ride the hell out of my machine as any on here that have rode with me will attest to. I ride several thousand miles a year at night through deer country and have had many close calls. never did laying the bike down become an option.
Now, I have to agree with you road rash sucks. I have ate my share of sand and gravel off the road and scrubbed too much out of my hide. My vtx has taken me down on several occasions mainly front end washing out on me due to the sand and salt left on the roads. Yeah crashing sucks. Bikes can be replaced, dads can't. Glad you were able to limp away. Look forward to sharing the wind some day.
Sorry if this rant hits as personal, it is not intended as such. Intended as a learing tool.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat May 30, 2009 1:47 am

Glad you are all right , well mostly alright anyway .
I take it you are going hunting this fall,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Very Happy

Get him for us all , his cousin jumped in front of me two years ago.
great family you have there.
good luck,
Jonathan

Last edited by horseman8m on Sun May 31, 2009 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  dino Sat May 30, 2009 7:24 am

sorry to hear that man and glad that you're ok and walked away from that.
Light bar is great option also stebel horn to scare them away from you.
dino
dino

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://www.boncphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sat May 30, 2009 7:33 am

I have gradually been shedding my protective equipment.....not on all rides, but around town, after pizza and such. You have prompted me to put on protective equip if I'm just washing my bike.

I have a Field Sheer shirt that I call "Asphault Resistent". It's really not a pain to throw on, no reason not to. You have prompted me to rethink my protective equipment. There's really no reason to go without helment, glasses, FS shirt, jeans, and boots.

Road rash is treated like a third degree burn in ERs. You need your skin....

Thanks for sharing and yet another reason to go hunting this fall....aim for the stupid ones.

And thanks for the tips Smokey. Makes sense to hang on and go through. If I can ride without my hands on the handlebars, chances are it's going to continue to go straight and stay upright if I hit an animal.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Sat May 30, 2009 7:56 am

Plus insurance companies love to hear you say "i laid it down", never ever say that, or for that matter don't do it either, I will admit that I have not experienced what you describe, I just concur with smokey.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  T3REBEL Sat May 30, 2009 11:44 pm

I am sorry I gave the wrong impression. I didn't intentionally lay the bike down, that's just what happened. Smokey, your reply did seem a little personal but if someone can learn from this, all the better. I live in deer country too and most of the time deer either freeze or go back in the woods because of the cobra drag pipes or the stebel horn I have on the bike but this time the deer was undecided and as it paused and then went again. I had jammed the brakes and then tried to steer around the deer and then I went down. Granted I have never taken a motorcycle class but I have been riding off and on since 91. I have never heard of anyone trying to drive thru the animal. The doctor that treated me told my wife and I that all the bikers that he had treated that had hit the animals usually had broken femars from where they were jacked and their legs hit the handlebars. As you all know every situation is different and I am not sure that I would do the same thing again given the same circumstances but I am glad that nothing is broken except my feelings but yet I will able to ride another day. Ride safe and hope catch at least some of yall in the wind! T J
T3REBEL
T3REBEL

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun May 31, 2009 7:45 am

TJ, trust me bro. That was not in any way intended to be personal. Just sharing info. There are several documented cases of bike hitting deer and the riders walking away. All cause they power through. There are you tube videos also with some real good footage. I will try to locate some later after I get some sleep. If you took it as personal I apologize. I do some pretty screwed up stuff on the scoot and the throttle bails me out most of the time.
I am just glad you were able to walk away from your accident and that your neighbors were so quick to help out.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Road Rash Finally!-Unfortunately! Empty It's all good!

Post  T3REBEL Sun May 31, 2009 8:13 am

Hey Smokey! I understand your reasoning behind impacting the deer and riding thru. I used to race cars and throttling up and impacting is not an issue for me. I didn't take your comments too personal. The way you wrote it made it sound like I was an inexperienced rider but that's kewl. That's why I like this forum because everyone gives out different opinions about topics so that we can all learn. I know I have learned alot from this forum. One of the main things that has impressed me the most is that most everyone here truly cares about the well being and safety of others even though we are all going to burn up in a fiery crash because we have ct's on our bikes! I appreciate everyones input, positive or negative because I know we just might save our brother's life. So just to let you know IT'S All GOOD! Ride Safe and maybe one day we will get to meet and ride! T J
T3REBEL
T3REBEL

Back to top Go down

Post  onei Sun May 31, 2009 10:52 pm

TJ,

I will chime in too ... glad you were not seriously hurt. I'm on two forums and like this one the best. I can't remember a time when the members here have not be civil with each other. Great advice is offered and great fellowship among the membership. I too ride in deer country and usually once a week (in the summer) am riding a dusk or after dark on a two lane road that is populated with deer. I am always on the look out. Thus I also appreciate the information from Smokey. I'm always willing to learn something new. Now I just hope I remember when (and/or if) I need it.
onei
onei

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:12 am

Glad you are able to walk away and talk about it! Whew! Close call. Thank God it wasn't worse! (went in the most respectful way to our God)

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:39 pm

OK
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down