Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome me to the Darkside

+5
4runner
Ghenghisron
Steve-O
jedishon
dond4605
9 posters

Go down

Welcome me to the Darkside Empty Welcome me to the Darkside

Post  dond4605 Fri May 01, 2009 7:19 pm

I have had a busy day. I took the wife and 2 cats to get stitches remove.( from the CATS) Came home and removed my rear tire. A first time event for me. Took the wheel to an independent shop and got a Michelin Hydroedge mounted. 205/65/16 Ater I got home I went a mowed a lawn. Came home, got my tools out again, and Installed the new C/T. I still need to tighten everything up before I ride. It started raining, so I decided to call it quits till I have time to Git R Done.
I don't want to rush in the rain and forget something. How long do I need to take it easy ( for break in_ ) before I just go and not worry about it slippin out from under me? How long should I practice on the DS before I take the wife out 2 up? Thanks everybody for the encouragement. This is the first CT this shop has replaced. I sorta feel like a trendsetter. I know you folks are the REAL trendsetters though. Thanks again. Don
dond4605
dond4605

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Welcome me to the Darkside Empty Re: Welcome me to the Darkside

Post  jedishon Fri May 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Been some debate on this lately. The manufacturers say 300 miles to get used to the new tire. I would go to a parking lot and try some tight turns and emergency stops. Then go get the wife.....
Welcome aboard Mr. Trendsetter

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  dond4605 Sat May 02, 2009 11:10 am

I just completed my first 70 mile Darkside ride. I think I'm gonna like it. Very Happy I really don't get what all the negative attitude is about though. I ran through some gravel washouts, some water, down a really crowned blacktop road, and down a 4 lane highway. Very Happy Very Happy I did not have a single problem. However, I did feel much more in control and alot more ballanced. Have a great day. Very Happy
dond4605
dond4605

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sat May 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Michellin appears to be one of the only MFGs that actually use a sort of Mold release, and yet there "break in mileage" is way less Welcome me to the Darkside Smiley_dunno

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellin
Thank you for your email. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Concerning your question, Michelin has a mold release agent on all
motorcycle tires. This will cause the tire to be slippery in the first
few miles, but that goes away after the tire is scrubbed in. This normally
occurs in the first 25-50 miles or so. Until then, the rider should use
caution in riding the tire at accelerated speeds. Michelin always
recommends obeying the speed limits and using care whenever riding.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please
call

Ride the tire alone till you feel comfortable with it. Then have your wife hop on. I did not notice anything different riding two up on a MT vs CT. Lot's of us do it.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  dond4605 Sat May 02, 2009 2:22 pm

Way Cool . Very Happy Thanks
dond4605
dond4605

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghenghisron Sat May 02, 2009 3:04 pm

It took me about 200 miles to get used to it. BUT, they were all short rides (waiting for the weather and work to coincide). And, many thanks to Jedishon for pointing out my shock bushings!! with those replaced and Dynabeads, I finally got to rip a little on the way to work this morning. Felt awesome!! I'd say, once you understand the cornering aspects, you should be good to go.

Be safe, have fun!!
Ghenghisron
Ghenghisron

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  4runner Sat May 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Did you have to grind the inside of the fender? I did not have to do it on mine. Just checking.
4runner
4runner

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  dond4605 Sat May 02, 2009 4:41 pm

4runner wrote:Did you have to grind the inside of the fender? I did not have to do it on mine. Just checking.
No I didn't need to grind anything, but I think I will be grinding the floorboards some. Twisted Evil I just took the wife for about an 8 mile ride. I am pleased to report there were no issues riding 2 up either. Very Happy Happy riding
dond4605
dond4605

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun May 03, 2009 5:03 am

Welcome , and like others it took me about 200 miles to get used to the bike straightening up after a turn and getting the air pressure right for the way i like the feel of the road, after that it has been all good.
glad you like it and again welcome to the Darkside , the cookies are around somewhere near south LA. , ask Twin Smile

be safe, have fun,
Jonathan
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon May 04, 2009 7:29 am

dond4605 wrote:I just completed my first 70 mile Darkside ride. I think I'm gonna like it. Very Happy I really don't get what all the negative attitude is about though. I ran through some gravel washouts, some water, down a really crowned blacktop road, and down a 4 lane highway. Very Happy Very Happy I did not have a single problem. However, I did feel much more in control and alot more ballanced. Have a great day. Very Happy

Welcome to the darkside! Congrats on your decision! You are going to love it!

Well as for the other statements about all the negative....It's just that....made up stuff! I have read most all of the negative stuff and I begin to think..what are they talking about? Not the car tires I have ridden. I have ridden wings, valks, 1800's, and 1300's all with car tires and never felt any of those things and they all had different kinds of car tires!

............................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  dond4605 Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:36 am

4runner wrote:Did you have to grind the inside of the fender? I did not have to do it on mine. Just checking.
I did notice some rubbing on the r/h side where the Name and Letters are. Shocked ( 6/14/2009 ) I ground both inner fender rails while I had the wheel off. Rolling Eyes
dond4605
dond4605

Back to top Go down

Post  13gator69 Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Put mine on deflated,went on easier then filled it up with air.Gator
13gator69
13gator69

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Welcome me to the Darkside Empty congrats

Post  lham Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Congrats on the ct. I have a michelyn also with 15,000 miles and don't notice any wear. I settled at 32 psi for the best feel, took about 5 minutes to get used to it. Enjoy
lham
lham

Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down