Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Grabber Mounted for a Friend Today

4 posters

Go down

General Grabber Mounted for a Friend Today Empty General Grabber Mounted for a Friend Today

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Today I successfully helped mount a General Grabber on a friends VTX 1300. It went very well.. Old tire off and then I had him use very fine emory cloth sand paper to clean his rims very good. then I had him use a 2000 grit sandpaper for a final cleaning with Dawn liquid soap. The rims looks very clean and slick... this will help in seating the bead we found out!! New tire on the rim and it was time to seat the bead.... Just soapy water first..... Nothing ... the typical 6-8 inches on each side of bead not seating.. removed the air and got out the vegetable oil... oiled up the beads at the 6-8 inches that wouldn't go..... put the chuck on and aired it up.. I was holding the chuck on as it washing clamping correctly. I was watching the beads and I could see it creeping and moving. I knew it was going to seat this time and sure enough the first one popped and soon after the second one did.... It was the easiest seating I've done.....
I had no idea what the pressure was at the time and then I looked over at the guage and I was freaking shocked and released the pressure immediately.... I was still holding the tire and the hose and the pressure was at an "a$$ puckering" 130 psi. Luckily nothing happened and I was able to release the pressure... It justed happened so fast... I was holding the tire and the hose and watching the bead creep.. i could see the text in the tire move.... and I didn't even see the pressure until it popped twice.. It was a matter of 30 seconds or less..... I attribute to cleaning the rims and the bead area VERY good and getting them very smooth. The vegetable oil made it very slippery and we really didn't have to use that much.

All in All, My friend now has a New General Grabber on the rear and we even put a new Metzler on his front. Both new tires got new Dyna beads. He's a happy camper. We then of course had to take it out for a test ride. I took him out for a good ride on our back roads of the Ennis area and out Blue Bonnet trails... they were fantastic. He LOVES the new tire.

Here's a pic:

General Grabber Mounted for a Friend Today Jd_apr11

Last edited by DS-Wing-Nut on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

General Grabber Mounted for a Friend Today Empty Re: General Grabber Mounted for a Friend Today

Post  Steve-O Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:10 pm

Good looking tire!

Need to start calling you Dark Side Dave! You've converted a lot of us.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

General Grabber Mounted for a Friend Today Empty Re: General Grabber Mounted for a Friend Today

Post  ttexastim Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:05 am

That tire is awesome! Looks great!!! I think the question we all want to know is ....... Did you put on your blue monkey suit??? Wink
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:51 am

Great job....but next time for safey sake!!!! Get a lock on air chuck! That way you will not have to be next to the tire while seating the bead and then release the air back at the air tank with a disconnect also!

Congrats on his darkside!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down