Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shadow 750 ace

4 posters

Go down

shadow 750 ace Empty shadow 750 ace

Post  hitman15666 Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:20 am

Ok, I've used the search and am unable to find the "dark" information I seek. I have an '03 shadow ace (VT750CD) with a 170/80-15 rear tire. While i see that VT1100 seem to have the same, I'm looking for confirmation that I can put a CT on my ride.
Any help, advice, or tongue lashings are welcome

hitman15666

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

shadow 750 ace Empty Re: shadow 750 ace

Post  Steve-O Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:14 pm

It's been done on a 750. I think the 750 ace has spokes, so you will need to go with a tube or seal the rims...which isn't too hard. I think the same tire that Otis56 used on his 600 will work on yours.

Do you need help finding tires or installation help?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  hitman15666 Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm probably going to go with a 165-15. I've got to be honest, I haven't the slightest idea how I'm going to mount it or what equipment I'll need. Local stealer won't do it, so any input is welcome.

hitman15666

Back to top Go down

Post  erik..b Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:20 am

My bike dealer/shop wouldn't touch it, just wanted to tell me how bad of an idea it was and then sell me a $292 Metz for the rear end. Check with the local small tire shops and you may find one that will do it dor you. Had my tire taken off at the auto hobby shop on the base where I work and they just looked at me and said ok, put the poly tire remover on the machine, clamped the rim down and it was done. Went home and the new tire was on the front porch and took it to a shop that I use for my truck and the wife's pilot and they put it on in about 3 minutes. Erik

erik..b

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:22 am

Just so you know ... you can seat your tire with a tube ... or you can seal the rim and go tubeless.

When I did this the first time ... I went to a small bike shop, and had the guy remove the old tire, and put the Kuhmo 165/80/15 on the rim. He couldn't seat it, so I was left to do that on my own.

Give us a little more info and we'll see if we can help. Spoked rim? If so do you currently use a tube?

I'd definitley suggest ordering some dynabeads for balancing. Especially if you are using a tube. It's cheap and easy.

If you were closer to TX there's 3 of us that would be willing to help you do it. I don't think I know anyone in PA.

If you need serious help, send me a PM and we'll get in touch.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  hitman15666 Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:09 am

I'm running a tube on spokes right now. the current P.O.S. on it is a dunlop. I have no love for it.
Ive seen a few things on sealing the rim (the duct tape is the best Laughing ). I'd like to go without the tube, but if it makes it easier to seat, I'll stick with the tube.
any special tools/equipment?
thanks for all the help. the darkside is very persuasive.

hitman15666

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:09 pm

Duct tape to seal? I've never heard of that. Most people I've read of are using a boat repair type compound to make the spokes air tight.

I think it might be easiest to just try seating it with a tube. IF you can't get it with the tube, then you might try to go tubeless.

My last MC tire was a dunflop 404. Got 3000 miles out of it. Nothing pisses you off more then putting on a new tire, and then needing another one 3 months later. Smile
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down