Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tail Draggin on the Dark Side (hidden hitch on a VTX 1300R w/a 205/70/15)

+10
horseman8m
Turdboy
jedishon
Capt. Rory
smokey2255
Badmoon
twin1300
dino
dirtwarrior
arch01
14 posters

Go down

Tail Draggin on the Dark Side (hidden hitch on a VTX 1300R w/a 205/70/15) Empty Tail Draggin on the Dark Side (hidden hitch on a VTX 1300R w/a 205/70/15)

Post  arch01 Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:14 pm

Alright, so the first time I loaded my saddlebags up and went on a weekend ride with the wife I decided that I needed a trailer. That coupled with the pull that the darkside has on me has produced the following. I have to apologize for this post being so long. You can go to http://picasaweb.google.com/arch01com/VTXMotorcycleTrailerHitch?feat=directlink to see ALL of the pictures.

I bought a hitch from www.hitchusa.com last year and IMHO the materials are good and strong, however the design is crap. So onto installation

This is just the initial picture of the fender removed. If I were you I'd always remove both shocks and chrome fender struts before trying to remove the fender. Harder to scratch it then.

This is the hitch 183 from www.hitchusa.com

They wanted me to drill out the threads of the sub-frame and use these stove bolts to bolt the whole thing together. lol! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHH!!!! lol! That is CRAZY talk.

This is a quick fitment check to see where the hitch sits.

As you can see, the hitch sits inside the sub-frame, however it does not sit parallel to the sub-frame so some heat and hammering would be needed to persuade it to become parallel

As you can see, the hitch does get to the 8" mark at some point. The sub-frame has an interior dimension of 8" so now to persuade the hitch to see it my way

A little wood block and the right amount of heat should do the trick

I have not rented a set of oxy-acetylene tanks as of yet so I had to use MAPP gas to heat the metal. It will do it, but it takes a lot longer than one would expect.

So now it fits better, but not great.

I decided that four line-up pins attached to the sub frame would allow me to easily remove the hitch and keep me from having to drill out the threads. I planned on welding another nut to the sub fame so as to actually attache the hitch.

Ok, the stock Dunie is 6.5" wide and at this point I am planning on using a 165 wide tire. I had pretty much come to accept that I was not going to be able to go wide-side

Welding the attachment pins in place

The outer side of the pin will be cut off and ground down later.

After all welding and grinding is done.

This nut, welded to subframe by honda, was not meant to be pulled inwards towards the tire an the weld failed. Good think I know how to weld.

hitch assembly in the fender. Did I mention that I do not like the design of this hitch.

So, the rear fender support and the 183 hitch like to take up the same space. BAD DESIGN!!

Dammit

My goal here was to install this hitch and a CT. Up until this point I was expecting to get a 165 up between the rails. As that many other modifications were going to be needed, I decided to just scrap the whole design as it was and go for broke. I marked the 183 hitch, cut off the excess and tack welded it up so that the outside of the hitch was flush with the outside of the sub-frame.

Looks good to me.

still looks good. I'll cut those pins short later.

I like this idea much better.

As you can see the hitch is now lined up with the inside surface of the sub-frame. When I test fitted the assembly into the fender, the hitch section was coming in contact with the inner fender supports. I re-tacked it to the inside and all fit was well so I followed that up with a couple of 1“ continuous welds. That'll hold up a light trailer easily.

So, the lower section and the inner fender support liked to take up the same space so I decided to remove the damned thing and turn this into a hidden hitch. Had to add a couple of angles to attache the square tube to.

Once the angles were welded I realized that one of the legs on the top angle was going to come into contact with the CT and had to shave it off. I had to build a little spacer to get the tube in the right place, then I welded on a chain with a hitch pin so that it is always there to attach the lower end of the hitch.

Tire is fully up into fender, approximately at the top of its travel. not sure if I've ever bottomed it out, but just in case.

view from bottom of receiver.

I'll have to cut off some of that.

Hitch in the fender. It fits like a glove.

look, the fender support fits when I redesign the hitch.

A little mineral spirits to clean it up, two coats of automotive primer and two coats of epoxy paint did the job.

The finished product. !!!APPLAUSE!!!

Attached to the bike for final clearances checks.

Tire at the bottom of its travel

Tire at bottom of travel (approx)

Tire at top of travel (approx)

5/8“ clearance on left side of Dunnie

3/4“ clearance on right side

1/2“ clearance at top cross member.

hitch installed in the fender for the last time.

So now the hitch is installed and time to get the GYTT installed. Still looking for someone in Nashville area who will mount it without giving me SOOOO much crap. If you know anyone let me know.

Last edited by arch01 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

arch01

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Tail Draggin on the Dark Side (hidden hitch on a VTX 1300R w/a 205/70/15) Empty Re: Tail Draggin on the Dark Side (hidden hitch on a VTX 1300R w/a 205/70/15)

Post  dirtwarrior Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:41 am

You are a good fabricator
dirtwarrior
dirtwarrior

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Tail Draggin on the Dark Side (hidden hitch on a VTX 1300R w/a 205/70/15) Empty Re: Tail Draggin on the Dark Side (hidden hitch on a VTX 1300R w/a 205/70/15)

Post  dino Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:49 am

man, u have some skills bro

do u live close by to me?? Very Happy
dino
dino

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://www.boncphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:52 am

Wow! Awesome job! You sir are the man!

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Now tell me you went out and bought that little Habor Freight utility trailer to pull behind that beautiful job that nobody will be able to see. Great job. I wanna see it with the trailer. Please.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Looking good, I do like a good and informative post. You even posted it so Muntz could follow along ... (lot's of pics) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Awesome job. Keep the posts coming.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Capt. Rory Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:14 pm

Very nice work and write up.
Capt. Rory
Capt. Rory

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-11

http://www.unitedcharters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:48 pm

That deserves a 2 thumbs up.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  arch01 Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:50 pm

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Now I'm onto getting the tire mounted and building the trailer. If all goes well I may be producing the trailer for sale. I'll post photos here when I get that all done up. Hell, I'm halfway thinking that maybe this winter I'll make up a jig to reproduce this hitch. With the way the economy is going I may be looking for an alternative source of income sooner than later.Laughing
In the mean time if anyone is truly interested, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

See ya out there, and keep the shiny side up

arch01

Back to top Go down

Tail Draggin on the Dark Side (hidden hitch on a VTX 1300R w/a 205/70/15) Empty UPDATE _ Tail Draggin on the Darkside.

Post  arch01 Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:40 pm

OK, I have the GYTT 205/70/15 on and put about 1300 miles on. After about 3 to 4 hundred miles I took it apart to check on some suspected rubbing and sure enough, part of my hitch was making contact with the spinning tire. you can see in this picture where there is rubber on the painted metal

Big tire on the bike

damn that thing looks big

The chain on the clip was a bad idea. Also I drilled my hole WAY too high. After putting a big 205 in there it was all I could do to get the hitch pin in. I re-drilled a new hole lower while I had this apart.

So here is a shot of the hitch, sans fender at the bottom of the suspension travel. No issues at all.

a bit of a close up - all is good

hmmmmm nice.

perhaps I took too many pics

Ok, so here is the tire at the top of its suspension travel, at least I think it is the top.

And the other side.

time to remove some material. I have marked the extents of the rubbing and believe that I can remove enough metal to make this work.

After shaving with the tire at the highest point. no contact on the left side.

No contact on the right side either. I'll give it another thousand miles and check it again. I believe this will remedie any issues. If the tire still rubs at this point I believe I will just monitor it and possibly change out to a 195 tire size the next time around. I cannot remove too much more material. Still thinking about making a jig to produce an entire hitch that will replace the sub-frame assembly all together.

Thanks for watching.

arch01

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Those pics with the CT installed make you bike look small. Just kidding with ya. The tire does look huge as you said. Let us know how its doin. I want to see the trailer too.

Come on you are teasing us.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Turdboy Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:52 pm

Nice job.
Turdboy
Turdboy

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri May 01, 2009 6:35 am

great job Smile
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Kris Wed May 06, 2009 12:17 pm

I want one! Same tire set-up here and I want to build a hidded hitch.
Mr. Kris
Mr. Kris

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed May 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Man...that's tire is really nice with the darkside.

............................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  willajabir Fri May 22, 2009 11:09 pm

I am recent owner of the 1300R. The Michelin Hydro looks good and then I was wondering about a hitch. When I googled, I found this post. My hopes are raised again.
This hitch with my homemade trailer and Michelin would make a combo. You are definitely an inspiration. I look forward to more info study as I wear out my stocks.
willajabir
willajabir

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Back to top Go down

Tail Draggin on the Dark Side (hidden hitch on a VTX 1300R w/a 205/70/15) Empty Incredible Job!!!

Post  OnD8ball Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:36 am

Blew out my mind. Thanks for all the "extra pix", never too many, IMHO. I wish I was a metal fabricator. Great dissertation on the subject. Good Luck with future endeavors. It is nice to see someone using their brain, and sharing the info. We all benefit from your efforts. Cool
Jamie
OnD8ball
OnD8ball

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:04 am

smokey2255 wrote:Looking good, I do like a good and informative post. You even posted it so Muntz could follow along ... (lot's of pics) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Awesome job. Keep the posts coming.

See you out there
Smokey

Hey I resemble that comment. Suspect

Nice write up and thanks for the pics!

Enjoy the Madness,
Muntz King
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down