Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Steve-O
jedishon
horseman8m
wallacem
8 posters

Go down

New member Empty New member

Post  wallacem Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi everyone, I am Wallacem from Georgia, I ride a 04 goldwing 1800 running a Conti VancoContact 2 195/65/16 at 30psi. It barely fits in rubbing the right edge slightly. I ground off a little of the swingarm where it rubbed. The taller tire corrects the factory speedometer error. this tire is smooth. I first tried a 205/55/16, but it was hard to lean over in turns. I did not like the resistance to leaning with the wider tire so I took it off for the new one. I plan to go the the Battleax 45 on the front, running it backwards when the front tire wears out. Wallacem

04 Black GL1800 (to haul the wife)
04 Black Softail Standard (to haul just me)
08 Yamaha Zuma 49cc (to save gas)
wallacem
wallacem

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

New member Empty Re: New member

Post  horseman8m Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Welcome Wallacem , to the darkside and to the best forums on the net, I live down south of Moody AFB just south of Valdosta GA. I have a VTX 1300C and you contact me if you are going to be in the area and go for a ride .
great to hear from you,
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:05 am

Welcome aboard.....make yourself to home....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:28 am

Welcome!

DS-Wing-Nut is someone you need to get to know. He's double darkside on his gold wing.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  wallacem Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Well, I will be double dark sided too just as soon as my front tire wears out. I will be going to a Battlax 45 mounted backwards. Wallacem
wallacem
wallacem

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:06 pm

wallacem wrote:Well, I will be double dark sided too just as soon as my front tire wears out. I will be going to a Battlax 45 mounted backwards. Wallacem

Wallace,

I would NOT do the front. Your bike and the geometry of the front because you can turn it, it will get more on the sidewalls and the possibility of running out of tire on the sides! If you check the chicken strips of your front tire you will see you have much more lean angle on the front instead of the rear!

I think putting one on the front could be dangerous!

.............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:07 am

I'm running the Bridgestone Battleax BT45 on the front as well...... But running it in forward direction.... with DYNABEADS.... Kumho 195/55/16 on the rear.

Front: 38 psi Rear: 32 psi Smooth as a babies bottom... Great traction, great turning, no bad habits...

over 3,000 miles on this setup so far each tire still looks brand new...

Bobby, just curious why you would say not to try this tire on the front? I've talked to many gold wingers and I've been reading all about it... They all love it and have had GREAT success.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:21 am

DS-Wing-Nut wrote:I'm running the Bridgestone Battleax BT45 on the front as well...... But running it in forward direction.... with DYNABEADS.... Kumho 195/55/16 on the rear.

Front: 38 psi Rear: 32 psi Smooth as a babies bottom... Great traction, great turning, no bad habits...

over 3,000 miles on this setup so far each tire still looks brand new...

Bobby, just curious why you would say not to try this tire on the front? I've talked to many gold wingers and I've been reading all about it... They all love it and have had GREAT success.

DS-Wing,

Well mainly because of the geometry of the front of the bike. On my 1300C model I have about 3/16" of chicken strips (un-used rubber or un-scuffed rubber) remaining on the front of the tire from leaning! I can't come close to that on the rear because of not being able to lean the bike enough without dragging my pegs, frame! Plus the front tires are a lot cheaper and last much longer than the rears last!

Please post or give a link to where these guys are running Darksides on the front?

.............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:44 am

Bobby, it's not a double darkside as you're thinking.

It's running the rear MC tire on the front and a CT on the rear. Wink Only works on the bikes with liked sized rims i'm guessing.
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 am

What's with the forward vs backward direction? - on the front?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:48 pm

twin1300 wrote:
wallacem wrote:Well, I will be double dark sided too just as soon as my front tire wears out. I will be going to a Battlax 45 mounted backwards. Wallacem

Wallace,

I would NOT do the front. Your bike and the geometry of the front because you can turn it, it will get more on the sidewalls and the possibility of running out of tire on the sides! If you check the chicken strips of your front tire you will see you have much more lean angle on the front instead of the rear!

I think putting one on the front could be dangerous!

.............bobby

the
Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring is a motorcycle tire :
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6013/ITEM/Bridgestone-Battlax-BT-45-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx

and can go on the front.
the reason for putting them backwards has somthing about the plys coming apart if the force is aplyed in the wrong way , the front only applys force when the brakes are applyed but the back has force applyed when you accelerate and stopping . wel something like that look in the posts about it there was a good explanation in there i don't remember al of it but it sounds right to me.
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

New member Empty RE NEW MEMBER

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:27 pm

I HAVE RIDDEN A LOT OF BIKES OVER THE YEARS AND I WOULD AGREE THAT THE WIDER FRONT (MOTORCYCLE TIRE IS A BIG PLUS) HOWEVER I WOULD LEAVE THE DIRRECTION THE SAME.THE ONLY TIME I HAVE HAD TIRE SEPERATION WAS AT HIGHWAY SPEED ,WOULD NOT TAKE A CHANCE ON A BIKE. RIDE SAFE LARRY S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:13 pm

darn it... had a good long reply typed on the laptop and hit some darn key the zapped it all gone bye bye..... I'm too tired to type it again....

but the jest of it.... yes the Battlax BT45 is a MT.... same size and all as OEM.... just more rubber, thicker stiffer side walls... last even longer... and WOW what a nice ride with the CT and dynabeads.... I love it...
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down