Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb Tuning...Open air Box...

4 posters

Go down

Carb Tuning...Open air Box... Empty Carb Tuning...Open air Box...

Post  KYVTX1300 Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:24 pm

Looking for a little advice before I make any more changes..

Here is the story.

A few weeks ago and about 1000 miles I did the 8000 mile service. I noticed my plugs were dark brown, but not black or white. I figure maybe a little rich but not too bad.

I have a spare air box so today I deside to start carving on it. I can go back to the stock box at any time.

After carving and installing it I have a flat spot in first gear at about 2000-3000 RPMs and in second in the low RPMs. Third gear sounds fine and the top of 2nd sounds fine as far as I can tell. I didn't go past third for my initial testing. Idle is fine as far as I can tell, it just misses a little bit in the middle of 1st. If I give it more gas it takes off. If I baby it I can really tell the flat spot. I didn't hear any popping or backfiring. No choke, never needed it. Just hit the gas a few times and then start it up since I have had the bike.

Sounds lean but how much? I am not a carb guy but I get the idea and have worked on a few Edelbrocks and Holleys on cages. Replaced jets and adjusted the A/F.

FYI: I bought the bike used and the guy said he had a jet kit installed when he had pipes added. The pipes are Hard Krome Strippers. So I have a random aspect to deal with on the jet kit and want to keep things as simple as possible. The bike has been running good even if it is a little rich.

Do you think that turning the A/F screw out 1/8 of a turn at a time and doing test runs will get me in the right spot at this stage or will I be wasting my time? If this sounds like it is going to be a pain, I'll pop on the stock air box and get the parts I need to put the carb back to stock and do the Scar tuning at a later time.

study
KYVTX1300
KYVTX1300

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2007-12-16

http://www.wccauto.com/gallery/Motorcycle/index.html

Back to top Go down

Carb Tuning...Open air Box... Empty Re: Carb Tuning...Open air Box...

Post  smokey2255 Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:23 pm

The flat spot is right in the area that will require the scar mod. It is easy to shim the needle. Hell Muntz could do it ...... okay that may be a stretch Laughing Mad Very Happy Laughing It is actually really easy to do. I can get to mine, shim it and be riding in about 20 minutes. One shim should do you.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16 pm

smokey2255 wrote:The flat spot is right in the area that will require the scar mod. It is easy to shim the needle. Hell Muntz could do it ...... okay that may be a stretch Laughing Mad Very Happy Laughing It is actually really easy to do. I can get to mine, shim it and be riding in about 20 minutes. One shim should do you.

See you out there
Smokey

I've got a couple of scars from the Wheelie King Mod. I aint doing nuthin else without pictures first. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  KYVTX1300 Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:13 pm

I put the old air box back on. I'll deal with adding a shim when I get back from vacation. Going to take the family of 5 on a 17 day drive through the country starting on Friday. Will be in Arkadelphia, Arkansas on Friday, Big Spring, Texas Saturday, then Albuquerque, New Mexico, Grand Canyon , Moab, Pocatello Idaho, West Yellowstone, Cody, Wyoming, Mount Rushmore, Sioux Falls, Omaha , Nebraska, Kansas City, and St. Louis. No bike for a few weeks, so I'll be the one trying to countersteer a mini-van. scratch

I'll wave if I see you!
KYVTX1300
KYVTX1300

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2007-12-16

http://www.wccauto.com/gallery/Motorcycle/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:02 am

KYVTX1300 wrote:I put the old air box back on. I'll deal with adding a shim when I get back from vacation. Going to take the family of 5 on a 17 day drive through the country starting on Friday. Will be in Arkadelphia, Arkansas on Friday, Big Spring, Texas Saturday, then Albuquerque, New Mexico, Grand Canyon , Moab, Pocatello Idaho, West Yellowstone, Cody, Wyoming, Mount Rushmore, Sioux Falls, Omaha , Nebraska, Kansas City, and St. Louis. No bike for a few weeks, so I'll be the one trying to countersteer a mini-van. scratch

I'll wave if I see you!
'

Have fun on your trip!... cheers Waving back!

Countersteer........ affraid a minivan! Nope but you do like the rally cars and swing left before turning right and vice versa and power slide it around the turns!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down