Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michelin X-ice Xi2 what do you think

+3
Dan
nodakbassmaster
rtoledo
7 posters

Go down

Michelin X-ice Xi2 what do you think Empty Michelin X-ice Xi2 what do you think

Post  rtoledo Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a all around N00B and only have 800miles on my new 2006 1800r2, but already want the dark side, I really dislike these tires, they feel wobly and have had a couple of easy slips already.

Bein atech I tend to over analyze and research things before I do them, so I have been reading all the posts in here and looked at the specs on the Toyos and Michelins and kinda like this model from Michelin specially all the small sipes in the tires to give it xtra grip and water dispertion, anyone her ever use this one?

What do you guys think?

I also want the taller tires as I am a tall person and want that speedo more accurate, so the 205/55r16 seems like a good compromise as I don't want to do more than maybe grind the inside of the fender side petrusions, but not the swing arms as the one Dan in here that did that bad ass 215 (looks mean)

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/winter/x-ice-xi2/#sizes-and-specifications

here's a link to it
rtoledo
rtoledo

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Michelin X-ice Xi2 what do you think Empty Re: Michelin X-ice Xi2 what do you think

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:55 pm

your good up to a 65... the 55 is smaller diameter than stock, and I think a 60 profile is closest... 65's fit with no trimming for some, smoe have to grind the inner fenderbrace lip a little...
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Michelin X-ice Xi2 what do you think Empty Re: Michelin X-ice Xi2 what do you think

Post  Dan Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:09 pm

The 55 will put your speedo way off, 65 is usually best depending on O.D., which is not available in that particular tire, 60 is N.A. also. The Michelin Hydroedge is popular, and available in 205/65R16, no mods required, makes speedo more accurate than stock. Good luck with your choice.
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Michelin X-ice Xi2 what do you think Empty michelin Hydro edge

Post  colopaddler Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:44 pm

howdy, about 1500 miles ago i went to the 205-65/16 on my 2002 VTX Retro. I have never been happier. I most likely did not need to grind the back half of the inner fender braces 1/4 of an inch, but i did so just to be sure. I just returned from a week of riding the highest hwy in rocky mtn national park (with snow on the ground) then to Sturgis and all the fun roads in the black hills. the guys i rode with like to run the corners about as fast as they can-i had no problems on cornering or riding on gravel. (I have never felt so stable on a tire!) I am running 44 pounds of air. I have about 3/32nds of clearance by the drive shaft and no rubbing. i picked the hydro edge because it is a rain tire-actually it is an all season tire, but it's all about the edges. Hope this info helps...and I was a skeptic and took four months of research before i went to the dark side....(SMILE)

colopaddler

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:34 am

Just wondering why ya picked a winter tire? Most running Michelins are running the HydraEdge.

I'm running the 205/65/16 HydraEdhe without issues. And the 65 will make the speedo most accurate, which that X2 doesn't come in.
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  studdog Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:46 pm

Ya'll lost me a little on tire size vs speedo accuracy. I use the calculator at discount tires (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos) and that 60 sidewall height seems to be closest to the same speedo reading. At least to the degree the factory tire yields an accurate speedo reading. I know there is a lot of info out there that claims the factory tire size and speedo readings aren't accurate but I can't really speak to that. I have never checked mine on a gps but tire sizes are pretty standard geometry.
studdog
studdog

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:22 pm

The tires O.D. is what's important for speedo accuracy, and tire mfg's vary in the same size. The stock 1800, 180/70HR16 Dunlop's O.D. is 26.02" and the speedo reads a little more than actual with it. If you go with a smaller O.D. like a 55, and most 60's, your speedo will read even higher than actual. That's why the Michelin HE 205/65R16 with a larger O.D. of 26.30" makes the speedo more accurate than stock, up to 26.5" would be very accurate also. Whenever someone mentions using one of those calculators, it seems they always come up with the wrong size, for some reason. Just go by the O.D. it's a proven method. Good Luck
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 am

when I took off my stock Dunlop and measured it , the hight was under 25 " , but the tire i installed was 26.2" and that took a lot of the speedometer inaccurate readings that plague my bike. i went from somewhere near 20% down to 6% and that i can live with.
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down