Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grab your helmet and jacket .... oh you may want gloves too

+4
jedishon
twin1300
wiggans50cal
smokey2255
8 posters

Go down

Grab your helmet and jacket .... oh you may want gloves too Empty Grab your helmet and jacket .... oh you may want gloves too

Post  smokey2255 Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:40 pm

Just finished with supper this evening and was watching, tasting and feeling the thunderstorm come rolling in. Yall that know me know I have a strong like for these magical uncontrolled forces of nature. Some would say that a storm is almost a fetish for me. I let it rain for about 10-15 minutes then just started gearing up. I wear a modular helmet which allows me to ride with the facepiece up so I can taste the rain as I ride. A leather jacket with the vents all opened so I get the effect of the rain. My gloves are just some worn out mesh type with padded palms and knuckles. Blue jeans and My favorite slip on heelless shoes round out my attire. As I was gearing up the wife and kiddos are talking to me like they would a deranged person (they know me), literally they all talked to me like I was a stranger. This is far to common an occurance around my castle. Tried to explain to them why I had to ride ... but they don't nor will they ever get it. I offered to let them come, but no takers. As a side note my son "Dude" was not involved in this conversation. When I left out I decided that I would go which ever direction the lightning directed me to go. I just took the next turn in the direction of the last lightning strike with the only disclaimer being that the road did not have a yellow sign within the first 50 feet or so. These generally all say dead end or road closed during inclement weather. The type of roads I travelled were a lot of tar and chip roads that we are so fond of here in the midwest. These frequently turn into gravel roads that may or may not be maintained. The best ones are the ones that start out as tar and chip turning into gravel about 3/4 the way through a sweeper then around the next bend they will drop into a fjord crossing. Those are always tricky but even more so with the sudden increase in water flow due to the storms. One of the gravel roads I thought I was traveling actually turned at the top of a hill and I ended up (going straight) riding down someones really long gravel/mud driveway. The gravel roads are tricky enough, that mud was borderline on the un fun side Very Happy I saw one of the biggest deer I have seen in quite some time. He was standing along side the road looking over his shoulder at me. I could of reached out and slapped him on the ass, it was a surreal kind of moment. All told I traveled 29 miles and ended up about 9 miles from home. It took about another14 miles to make it home though Laughing

Yall get out there and ride

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Grab your helmet and jacket .... oh you may want gloves too Empty Re: Grab your helmet and jacket .... oh you may want gloves too

Post  wiggans50cal Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:30 pm

mean while, after these wet rides, smokey is taking one of his famous baby powder baths to try to clear up that nasty rash that is somewhere between from being wet too long!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy All in fun, totally joking dude. Storms are an amazing thing to watch, they always have their own personalities, never the same. When its a calm night, there is NOTHING like being on the X with the smell of rain ahead!!!! Its a rush, an addiction, and smoke, you are not the only one with this disease!!! it is breath taking.

wiggans50cal

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Grab your helmet and jacket .... oh you may want gloves too Empty Re: Grab your helmet and jacket .... oh you may want gloves too

Post  twin1300 Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:15 am

+1 on what Smokey and wiggans said....................... Very Happy I have been caught so much lately in the rain that I am running out of dry shoes to go to work in!........... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I love it!....of course without the darkside it would suck!

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:23 am

If I get caught in it thats fine.....but to go for a joy ride in a lightning filled storm......ahh NO.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  dino Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:40 am

+2, I also think same, if I get caught in the rain it's fine, no biggie, but don't like to ride in the rain dang, Smile
jedishon wrote:If I get caught in it thats fine.....but to go for a joy ride in a lightning filled storm......ahh NO.....

Jerry
dino
dino

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://www.boncphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 pm

I love riding in the rain, but Steve won't go with me and with my bad knees, if the bike goes down, I'd have to walk home. On the same note, I hate walking in the rain. Very Happy
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:34 pm

twin1300 wrote:+1 on what Smokey and wiggans said....................... Very Happy I have been caught so much lately in the rain that I am running out of dry shoes to go to work in!........... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I love it!....of course without the darkside it would suck!

I have three pairs of boots and to dry them i got a cheap hair drier the pistol type and turn it on without heat just blow and put it in one boot at a time fore about two hours then the other one . set over night . and you are ready the next day. I ride in all weather too.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:46 pm

horseman8m wrote:
twin1300 wrote:+1 on what Smokey and wiggans said....................... Very Happy I have been caught so much lately in the rain that I am running out of dry shoes to go to work in!........... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I love it!....of course without the darkside it would suck!

I have three pairs of boots and to dry them i got a cheap hair drier the pistol type and turn it on without heat just blow and put it in one boot at a time fore about two hours then the other one . set over night . and you are ready the next day. I ride in all weather too.

Yes, I know...but too many wet shoes and not enough hair dryers! Sorta like badmoon, what does he need a hair dryer for................... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Just saying.... Very Happy

.................twin

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Tanglefoot Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm with Jerry and Dino, if I get caught in the rain that's one thing but to go out knowing that I am going to get wet is another story all together. I bought me a set of Frogg Toggs and if I see that it's going to get wet I'll stop and put them on. They keep you dry and you don't sweat with them on causing you to get wet from the inside.
Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  dino Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:55 am

This morning in Jamestown, NC, got my bike out of garage, started it up and few drops of rain on windshield and me, start ridding and rain stopped after few minutes, lol, it wasn't some rain just a little bit of drops, that's it. although I start thinking of getting into my minivan and drive, I rode to work. They also said it's going to t-storm afternoon, will see...

Yesterday I repaired (patched) my rear tire and wanted to ride so bad that I didn't care about it if it's rain breeze or not...
dino
dino

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://www.boncphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down