Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harley question

+6
wolfpack72
smokey2255
Badmoon
Steve-O
horseman8m
jedishon
10 posters

Go down

Harley question Empty Harley question

Post  jedishon Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:05 pm

Personally I have nothing against a Harley. I would not buy one that was made when they were owned by AMF. But if I found an Electra Glide for a decent price (about 1/2 what they are asking) I would consider one myself. What I would like to know is why is it a crime to put some thing not made by Harley on a Haley. Had a guy check out my bike, he liked my river road bags and my self made lowers. Then the next day he complained that the local Harley store didn't have anything like them. Told him to go online, but no way would he put it on his bike if he couldn't buy it from Harley. Said he didn't want every one laughing at him. I consider him a typical Harley owner. He comes to work in his leathers and changes into his white shirt and tie when he gets here then changes again when its time to go home. But he wont ride if its below 60 or with more than a 20% chance of rain. Said he got caught in the rain once and will never do that again.

Like I said just curious.....Anyone have any ideas....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Harley question Empty Re: Harley question

Post  horseman8m Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:28 pm

Sounds like the typical Harley owner to me to. I know a few that wouldn't even put oil in it if it didn't say Harley on to bottle.
pay to much and drive once a month for 20 miles and calls himself a motorcycle rider.
never mind me venting it's just that the harley riders laugh at us (all other bike riders) when we put more miles on each of our bikes in a week then all of them do in a year.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:51 pm

they're american made and owned.
There is a cult like following - it's very club esque.
they are great looking
They sound cool.
They have an excellent name recognition (Is that a Harley?)

They cost 25% more.
the cost 50-% more to maintain.
Parts are 100% more to add on.
They are 25% less reliable.

I'd like to HAVE a Harley. I'd rather OWN a metric.

That said, a Rocker C is high on my want list.....
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Been there done that.
I agree with everything above and want to add this. There is a mind set with a good number of folks that if you add to the bike some will only put Honda oil or Honda parts on their bike. I try to first but if there is a better product or a part that better fits my situation, by God that is the part for me. Not saying that one is better than the other but some people are just like that and that is cool. Just don’t push it in my face.

I have had Harleys in the past. Two in fact. Great bikes for the most part, and yes I was the same way as far as my bike views were when I had them. The reality of it all is, Harley riders KNOW with all their knower is that there are better bikes to be had. It is a mental thing and yes there is a American tag on the product with an American name where as we do with out the American name. Who cares.

I ride with a lot of HD riders and they all talk a lot of smack, but it is just smack. When we are out and about I get asked a lot to swap out and I can get my Harley fix and they can get theirs too. It is a shame that it only takes about 10 minutes or so to remind me why I ride a Honda instead of a Harley. I am sure it is the same for them too.

Yall prolly get to ride a lot more than I do, but I ride every chance I get. Rain or shine. I have really learned that the reliability of the Honda is the way to go. I can get on and ride the piss out of it and put it away. The maintenance always gets done when it is due, and sometimes before. I know it will start when I need it to. That is the thing for me and the other metrics.

Well that is just about a book yall. Sorry
Keep em running and stay safe.

Peace yall
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:58 pm

Moon short and to the point as always......I mainly meant it about the guys that are new to motorcycles. The old timers used to modify their bikes with whatever they could find. Must admit if I could get an electra glide for a decent price ( about 1/2 of what their asking ) I would probably take it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Personally i don't care what you ride, nor do I care what you want to put on your ride, Hell I don't care if you have a brand new scoot staying all shiny in your garage.
I don't care if you like what I ride or what I have on my bike, if you have a hangup trying to keep up with the joneses or are all about the show then go for it.
Personally I bought my bike to ride, I accessorize it to suit me, not to look pretty for you. My scoot is set up for comfort and cruising my style.

I too have friends that live and breath Harley when it is just perfect riding conditions, 80 is too hot and 60 is too cold. Don't even think about getting it wet.
While I don't see the logic there .... it is cool with me .... just don't judge me or mine by your standards. I have a neighbor with an Ultra classic he bought new in 2000, was bragging that he turned over 20,000 miles on it a couple weekends ago. I told him that was pretty impressive, then he screwed up and asked how many I had on mine. He acted like he had something important to do when I told him I was over 30k in 2 years.
Just get out and ride.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Preach it Brother Smokey.

and we know you don’t Care.

Moon

Can I get an Amen!!

Last edited by Badmoon on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Im stupid)
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfpack72 Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:34 pm

I met a dude at bike night at Twin peaks, when I asked him what he was riding he acted like he was embarassed to tell me that he rode an 06 1800R. I guess he thought I was a Harley owner. Once he found out that I had a 07 1300C he was all proud of his bike and the long trips he had put on it. He told me that he felt more like a Rebel riding a Honda than being one of the sheep on the Harley's. Hey as long as you ride thats all that matters don't be embarassed about what you choose to ride, and when they want to make my payments and take care of my insurance then I'll give a damn about what they think. And being Darkside makes it even more special LOL Laughing
wolfpack72
wolfpack72

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-01-01

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:08 pm

Amen Brother.

Now lets all bow our head and pray for those who are ignorant and deceived.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:20 pm

I have a saying that I live by, it's a little crude but it says a lot.

If I don't feed em or if I don't f_ _ _ em, I don't care what they think...

I would feed Yall Laughing Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:34 pm

Smoke?
You sure we aint brothers?
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:23 am

smokey2255 wrote:Personally i don't care what you ride, nor do I care what you want to put on your ride, Hell I don't care if you have a brand new scoot staying all shiny in your garage.
I don't care if you like what I ride or what I have on my bike, if you have a hangup trying to keep up with the joneses or are all about the show then go for it.
Personally I bought my bike to ride, I accessorize it to suit me, not to look pretty for you. My scoot is set up for comfort and cruising my style.

I too have friends that live and breath Harley when it is just perfect riding conditions, 80 is too hot and 60 is too cold. Don't even think about getting it wet.
While I don't see the logic there .... it is cool with me .... just don't judge me or mine by your standards. I have a neighbor with an Ultra classic he bought new in 2000, was bragging that he turned over 20,000 miles on it a couple weekends ago. I told him that was pretty impressive, then he screwed up and asked how many I had on mine. He acted like he had something important to do when I told him I was over 30k in 2 years.
Just get out and ride.

See you out there
Smokey

WE are brothers here.
Amen!
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:13 am

Gotta go with you guys on this.....We ARE brothers............... Cool

.................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:47 am

i get to be a brother now? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

12,000 in 15 months (and that's with a loss of 3 months of ridin due to broken wrist). I'm still lovin it. I only get to ride on alternate weeks, outta town the rest. I ride when I can, regardless of the weather and I love the rain. Some folks are just about the image and when they get tired of that fad, they move onto something else and they'll still have an almost new bike to sell. Very Happy
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:57 am

kermit wrote:i get to be a brother now? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

12,000 in 15 months (and that's with a loss of 3 months of ridin due to broken wrist). I'm still lovin it. I only get to ride on alternate weeks, outta town the rest. I ride when I can, regardless of the weather and I love the rain. Some folks are just about the image and when they get tired of that fad, they move onto something else and they'll still have an almost new bike to sell. Very Happy

Your not a brother, but you are in the brotherhood.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Got my X last Sept. lost 3 months to winter and am siting at 12,500 miles. Bought it to ride.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  061300c Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 pm

18k in 16 months ride every day rain or shine don't own a car so. i dont care what people ride as long as they ride and if your harley is so great try to keep up. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

061300c

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  dino Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:19 pm

few of mine co-workers ride harleys, suzukis, hondas, kawasakis, triumph and one ride some dual sport dirt bike (don't know which make) and we all go to hooters sometime to have a "safety meeting" from our building, Very Happy
No one cares what the other guy ride as long that we ride rain or shine.
dino
dino

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://www.boncphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down