Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

potential convert to DS, need some guidance

+3
meta355
smokey2255
davidv-soga
7 posters

Go down

potential convert to DS, need some guidance Empty potential convert to DS, need some guidance

Post  davidv-soga Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:02 am

Hey y'all - down here in deep So.Georgia - Valdosta... ESPN's TitleTown ! woo hoo... gotta love that high school football !

Okay - i've got an 03 1800C - currently running the Metz 880 200 (I think?).

Seems there is a lot of conversation here about the 205 (Douglas) ... i've talked with another person or two regarding the 205, my concern is the cleareance, shaft, swingarm, fender support frame, etc...

I'm about 190lbs, the wife 145 or so....guess I'd rather go with a slightly more narrow tire (what ? 195 ?) than have to sweat any rubber to frame or fender.

Would also prefer that my speedo be accurate (it is dead on according the the GA State Patrol - 71mph in 55mph zone) prior to that always thought it was 5-10% off....

Anyway - the speedo isn't a big concern...just so long I know how much it's off.

So... I'd accept any suggestions... pictures of your tires...guess i'd prefer the more "rounded" looking tire...where the grip/thread seems to go up the sidewall more...

And... what kind of mileage should I expect to get from these tires ? Assumming they are steel belted radials ?? Or not ? 20,000 ? 30,000 ? or much less...

I know I've asked a lot of questions...any help is greatly appreciated !

Thanks again.

davidv-soga

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

potential convert to DS, need some guidance Empty Re: potential convert to DS, need some guidance

Post  smokey2255 Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:18 am

Welcome David
The 205 typiclly will fi without any rub issues, This does vary somewhat bike to bike, or tire choices.
The general grabber seems to be a really popular choice for all around fit durabilty and ride.

The mileage you get out of the tire will be determined by how hard you ride and again by your choice in tires.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

potential convert to DS, need some guidance Empty Re: potential convert to DS, need some guidance

Post  meta355 Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:36 am

Iv'e been on the Darkside for 13000 mies so far and just installed a Douglas 205. It acts just like the 165, except the tire height matches the stock dunnie. Absolutely no clearance issues on my brothers 1300C model. Twin has a lot of pics of his(really the guy is quite a ham Laughing ) so you can see how it fills out the rear fender. I think this tire is the best for new Darksiders and should be good for 20-25K. Just noticed you have an 1800. You have the option of going with a higher speed rated tire.

meta355

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Helllo Dave ,
welcome to the board , you live near me , I am near Lake Park and have been riding on the darkside for about 4 months now and i can help you with the change over when you get the tire. good luck ,
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:58 pm

David,

What meta said.....the Douglas is a great tire to start with...no clearance issues so far with any one who's mounted one! It does everything excellent and I thing because of it being a snow and rain tire and made to handle with the soft rubber. JMO

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

potential convert to DS, need some guidance Empty thanks for the info everyone...

Post  davidv-soga Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:16 pm

I'll definitely have to be taking notice of what everyone is running on this board.

Sounds like the 205...55 ? 60? 65 ?

I've probably got another 2,000 left on my Metz... hopefully that'll be here before I know it.

Horse - I'm sure we know each other... you and I about a year ago (???maybe longer), road up to Albany together, hooked up with some other folks to ride to the Menonite (sp?) resturant to eat ...
Man- work for me has been pure T crazy... no time...working a lot of Saturdays... not much time for "pleasure" riding... I'm riding daily for the most part for work...

Y'all take care ride safe ..

davidv-soga

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:12 pm

David
I would go with the 205-65 as it is closer to stock height.
See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Hello Dave, i have the jack and tools to remove the rear wheel and help you get it changed , do you still have my phone number?
I am still busy with the military jets and training aircraft so i am no the road a few day each month but if you call i can make time to help you change it and then go with you on your first ride and if you want to you can drive my bike to get the feel of the wide tire, give me a call .
your friend ,
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:36 am

Doesn't hurt to have the tire in your garage and to call around to find a place that will mount the tire if there's any question.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:13 pm

matter of fact there is a tire shop in Lake Park that will change the tire if you remove the wheel from the bike .
they are a car tire shop but can do the mag bike rims on there machine. i think they told me $15.00 but only open mon-fri .
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  Crossbones Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:00 pm

here is a few photos of the bike with a 205 bridgstone under it i have no clearance issues, i am a solo rider but weigh in about 300 or so
potential convert to DS, need some guidance P1000067
potential convert to DS, need some guidance P1000068
potential convert to DS, need some guidance P1000066
Crossbones
Crossbones

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down