Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New guy under pressure

4 posters

Go down

New guy under pressure Empty New guy under pressure

Post  saber Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:39 am

Hello

I am new to the site, but not to using a ct on my BMW R1200c.

I heard all the reasons why I will end up in a flaming death using the ct and can give a crap what the sudo experts say. If they can't show us test data, then they are just blowing smoke up our butts.

I am interested to hear what tire pressures you guys use. I played around with 2 different tires, and used a infrared thermometer to see if I was over heating the tire.

I tried a peerless tire first. Loved the handling and ran about 24-22 psi. When I did the side wall burst calculation I found that I was about 100- 150 pounds to heavy for a single ply tire like it. So I went to a Mickey Thomson Sportsman sr. The tire is 2 ply rated and designed for the front tire of roadsters.
I decreased the pressure in order to take advantage of the sidewall flex.
The external tire temp never exceeded 150 degrees. The belt melting point is about 400 degrees for a nylon tire, Aramid is higher.
It works but I miss the handling of the single ply.

My bike is very limited on the tire availability for it due to swing arm design.

Has anyone here played with the pressures?
Here is link to MT, http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=SportsmanFront

Bob
saber
saber

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

New guy under pressure Empty Re: New guy under pressure

Post  twin1300 Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:52 am

Hey Bob,

We run higher pressures than you on the 165's or the 205's. We run more toward the suggested manufacture pressures than that low. We don't allow the side wall to flex that much and use the contour of the car tire to hug the road. I run 38 psi in my Douglas 205! In my 165 when I ran it...I was running 41 to 45 psi.

Plus lower psi will allow more heat in your tires also. We also found lower air pressure in the rear caused some wobbling of the front end and the higher we went to the required air pressure, it would go away! On asphalt the higher the pressure the better the grip!

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  saber Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:01 pm

With the 2 tires I have never had a wobble using lower pressure. Although I can see it happening.

Also never seen tire temp higher than 150 degrees in summer, much lower than the melting point that causes tread separation.

There isn't anything like the feeling of pushing a cruiser hard and fast though a long sweeper, and having the tire flex into the corner.
The stability of the ct in the corner out performed the mc tire.
My son watching me from behind on his FJR said it looked like almost all the tire tread was on the road, and the inside side wall flexed hard.
If you look close at the front tires of the cars in corners they flex.

I don't believe the lower is that big a deal, my wife's Miata calls for 26 psi on all 4 tires.
I read some where else this was done on a Goldwing using a Goodyear triple tread. Unfortunately they don't make one in my size.

Bob
saber
saber

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:28 pm

I started out with 44psi the max for that tire, then went down to lower psi and drove on it until I ended up with 36psi and stayed there. To me it feels better at 36psi and corners great and the ride is a lot smoother .
Good luck finding your best pressure , each person rides differently and is looking for something to fit them.
I hope we helped you , Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:09 am

LOL Exactly... I run 41 or so in my 205 and when the bike gets down to like 38 I notice the ride is "cushier" and I don't like it as much because the handling isn't as sharp. I also run a 5 on my VTX's stock suspension. I like it CRISP.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down