Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1600 Nomad / semi intro

Go down

1600 Nomad / semi intro Empty 1600 Nomad / semi intro

Post  Mac_Muz Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:32 am

I am new 3rd post.. For those seeking pics, follow this link.
https://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll275/Mac_Muz/Nomad/

There are other albums which interest me, but you all know how to back out and find them I bet.

The pics you will see firt are the 1600 Nomad just before it went DS. And as it went DS.

The tire is a Dunlop Sport Sp 5000 in 195/60/R16.
It took a few tries to seat the bead, but the psi never went over 51 pounds. I changed it by hand, with a old apple crate and spoons.

With 32 psi I felt a slight wobble at 80mph. It was suggested I try 40 psi, which I really didn't like at any low speed, so I dropped that to 36 psi seemingly with success so far. Since then I have been to 95 mph as indicated on a speedo with know issues reading overly fast as stock.

I have no idea how much if any this DS tire has corrected the speedo error, but I would assume being 1.5 inches over all larger it has changed the error to something less.

One other problem I had was a good shaker when I forgot that I should have increased psi, and ran the bike up hard and fast to over 95mph on a entrance ramp. There was no shake untill I rolled off hard. This at that 32 psi.

I see the OEM stone may be a part, the road surface may be a part, and assorted other things may be a part of the problem, like having under 500 miles on the rear for one. So I remain in testing mode, and the Jury is out.

2 days ago this bike hit the 10,000 mile mark. I would like to replace the stone up front soon and service the head bearings. The swingarm and driveshaft were serviced when the rear tire was added. ALL Vulcans seem to suffer no way to adjust swingarm free play, or SLOP as I prefer to call it.
If anyone is interested is checking this, it is easy. You need some form of lift, a rag, atleast 2 sets of feeler gauges, and a small pry bar. I am in thinking mode of how to cure the slop. The dealer is less than useless here, and when I asked in person the so-called best tech, made up parts that don't exisit. (that figgures some how) No

Mac_Muz

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down