Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting tire installed tomorrow - Pointers??

4 posters

Go down

Getting tire installed tomorrow - Pointers?? Empty Getting tire installed tomorrow - Pointers??

Post  arch01 Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:30 pm

I picked up a Douglas 250/70-R15 today at Wally world. Taking it to the shop tomorrow to get it installed on my factory 1300R rim. This guy has not done it before, in fact he told me "I would not recommend it, but I'll take your money and put it on." I have read a few different things about what people here have done to get the tire on. Can anyone give me any pointers to pass on to the shop? Pressure to seat beads, special lubricant for install, etc??

Thanks in advance.

2006 VTX 1300R

arch01

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Getting tire installed tomorrow - Pointers?? Empty Re: Getting tire installed tomorrow - Pointers??

Post  smokey2255 Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:31 am

Arch

The biggest thing is to clean your rim of the old soap/tire lube soap the bead down good and be ready to have to put upwards of a hundred pounds to get it to seat. Most of the 205s are not taking that much but be prepared. My tire seated at about 40 lbs. And last thing , ......... enjoy the ride.
See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Getting tire installed tomorrow - Pointers?? Empty Re: Getting tire installed tomorrow - Pointers??

Post  twin1300 Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:08 am

Arch,

Wash your rim with water hose and rag to get the old soap off from previous mountings! I used cooking oil because it was readily available to mount the tire with and it's slick. Put it all the way up the side walls to the lettering and SLOP IT ON!...you will need to go that high because the 1300 stock rims will roll the tire instead of seat the bead without something all the way up the sides. I will take as much as 100 psi to mount the tire. Do not go thru the regulator because sometimes it will not fill fast enough to seat the bead.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Getting tire installed tomorrow - Pointers?? Empty getting a little pushback

Post  arch01 Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:37 pm

It is amazing to me how many people at this shop in Nashville want to have a tire physics discussion and talk me out of this. In their defense, they are only thinking about my safety and speaking from their experience with motorcycles. I definetly should have checked on this site to see if anyone knows of a shop in Nashville which has done this before. Anyway, hindsight is 20/20 if they decide to back out and not mount it I will be shooting out a message asking if anyone knows a shop in Nashville which will mount it.

Thanks all for your input.

arch01

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Get in touch with toasted on here......He lives in Memphis. Maybe he can help!

.............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:28 pm

twin1300 wrote:Get in touch with toasted on here......He lives in Memphis. Maybe he can help!

.............bobby

Wish I did know..i've got some friends that live up there...i'll give them a call if ya need me to. Very Happy He rides and knows alot of the little indy shops so we should be able to find ya one.
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down