Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installed my third tire today

+3
Oldsmobility
horseman8m
Steve-O
7 posters

Go down

Installed my third tire today Empty Installed my third tire today

Post  Steve-O Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Just installed my third darkside tire. First was the kumho 165. It was a used tire to see if I liked it and put about 3k miles on it. Really liked the tire as it rode a lot like a motorcycle tire.

Went wide with my next tire. Installed a Douglas 205/65. Really nice handling tire on the superslab. Liked the wide look too. Got 17k miles out of this tire for $65, so not a bad deal. It had 3k worth of tread left on it, but needed a change.

This tire is the General Altimax HP 185/65 which I purchased on line for $65. This tire comes highly recommended from the 1300 folks. I has a nice tread patter, rounded shoulder, and nice specs.

The tire went on flawlessly. Bead set the first time using pledge as a lubricant. We saved the dynabeads for later use, but balance the tire with stick on weights. Took just 1oz of weight to get the tire manually balanced (rode nice and smooth home).

Here is the back of the bike with the General Altimax HP 185/65 installed. Nice width, nice round shoulder, and nice tread pattern.

Installed my third tire today 30_GeneralAltimaxHP185

When changing the tire, we found a screw in the old Douglas. It had been in there for awhile. Probably a half inch screw that did not get passed the steel belts.

Installed my third tire today 31_ScrewInCT

Here is the 205 adn 185 side by side. The 205 is worn and would be a lot taller with all of it's tread. Wish they made a 185/80.

Installed my third tire today 32_205_185_compare

Notice the hard shoulder of the Douglas. Of course, it has 17,000 miles on it, but the shoulders are much more square than the Altimax. It' a bit wider also. I noticed that the Altimax was better in slow corners and weaves than the douglas...noticably. I liked the douglas, especially the 17k miles I put on it for $65, but the 185 handles better.

Thanks to DS-WingNut for the help installing the tire! Took us just 2 hours start to finish.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Installed my third tire today Empty Re: Installed my third tire today

Post  horseman8m Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:03 pm

that's a great write up , thanks for posting it.
wow 3 darkside tires , someone racks up the miles don't they? Very Happy
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:27 am

Nice harbor freight tire changer I see there. Is that wingnuts?

What size motorcycle tire did your bike come with?

New tire looks great, hope you enjoy it. Now that you're on your third car tire, have you received your cookies yet?
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:34 am

Looks like a good tire! I think your fuel tank makes me look closer than the tire does these days. I think I need to copy that setup. Smile
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:34 am

Horse: have 21k miles over the last 2 years. The bike actually pays for itself when I ride 10k a year. Although....some of those are pleasure miles and shouldn't count....

Olds: Yes, it's wingnuts harbor freight. It gets a lot of use! Tire came with a 170 I think...been awhile! No cookies, but I DID receive a lovely box from twin!

Tim: My bike has 33,800 miles on it now. It may be for sale with tank one of these days..... Then again, it has some sentimental value. I was talking with Dave about the mods on my bike. I like all of them but the gps and tank are outstanding. I can go an extra 120 miles with it. It reduces stress on long rides (not so worried about running out) and don't have to fill up nearly as often. New tourtanks are kind of pricey but worth every penney in my book. Come to Dallas sometime and check it out.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:44 am

thanks for the help on the 185 80 15 steve-o Very Happy much appreciated.1 question...how much wider in inches would you speculate the federal 185 is compared to the 165 kumho ? it looks like with the kumho i have about a 1/2" driveshaft clearance to play with.love the kumho,allways have since it was put on my bike.however,i would like to go a tad wider but will never put on a 205.you think i will have enough room for the 185 ? best regards, kenny
P.S. i now have 6500 miles on the kumho and from the looks of it,15k will probably be time to change it out.
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:39 pm

185-165=20mm a little over 3/4" or 3/8" on each side of the tire.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:56 pm

Three DS tires?
Dont that constitute a Trike?
You go Brother. This is the first time I have heard of someone moving back in width. This tells me a lot about the rider too.

Ride safe
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:05 pm

jedishon wrote:185-165=20mm a little over 3/4" or 3/8" on each side of the tire.

Jerry
allright thanks !
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:50 pm

When I went from a 205 to a 185, I gained about 1/4 inch (maybe) on each side. tire width varies by mfg. you can't totally go by the numbers. I think if you are going from a kumho 165 to a federal 185, you should be in good shape.

I'm interested in that federal tire too. Only one I could find in a 185/80.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:04 pm

Steve-O wrote:When I went from a 205 to a 185, I gained about 1/4 inch (maybe) on each side. tire width varies by mfg. you can't totally go by the numbers. I think if you are going from a kumho 165 to a federal 185, you should be in good shape.

I'm interested in that federal tire too. Only one I could find in a 185/80.
i'll shoot for the federal then and hope it fits.thanks for the help !! Smile
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:46 pm

Put 1k miles on the new tire this weekend. Handles really well on the super slab. Nice smooth ride. Really happy with this tire.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down