Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car tire on a bike? Why?

+11
DocRawk
cerooth
061300c
gstanfield
DS-Wing-Nut
twin1300
wayne
willdc
Toasted_311
grizak
jedishon
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Car tire on a bike? Why? Empty Car tire on a bike? Why?

Post  Guest Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:57 am

Im sure I will get beat up over this but here it goes. Something you car tire guys should consider before putting a car tire on a bike. Tires no matter if its for a bike or car,are measured and "weighed" in whats called a force machine.They are checked for radial,radial first,lateral and conicity. The two tires have to totally different limits. The biggest factor you guys are gonna deal with somewhere down the road is the even wear and I would guess conicity (side pull). A car tire is forced with parameters for the weight of a car.I see car tires that force between 17 to 22 pounds of radial and 5 to 11 pounds of conicity.You guys think your gonna gain on mileage or whatever your doin it for but your taking a chance with safety.Just because it fits dont mean it works.Good luck

Back to top Go down

Car tire on a bike? Why? Empty Re: Car tire on a bike? Why?

Post  jedishon Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:14 pm

Thanks for your input.....I'm sure it will mean something to someone......All I know is the tire on my bike goes round and round, and I'm happy with that......

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Car tire on a bike? Why? Empty cheap

Post  Guest Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:28 pm

I dont surprise I would get a response like that from this site.Looks like you would spend a thousand dollars making you bike look nice but wont spend the $100 bucks to maintain it right.

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:39 pm

buds dad wrote:Im sure I will get beat up over this but here it goes. Something you car tire guys should consider before putting a car tire on a bike. Tires no matter if its for a bike or car,are measured and "weighed" in whats called a force machine.They are checked for radial,radial first,lateral and conicity. The two tires have to totally different limits. The biggest factor you guys are gonna deal with somewhere down the road is the even wear and I would guess conicity (side pull). A car tire is forced with parameters for the weight of a car.I see car tires that force between 17 to 22 pounds of radial and 5 to 11 pounds of conicity.You guys think your gonna gain on mileage or whatever your doin it for but your taking a chance with safety.Just because it fits dont mean it works.Good luck
you are brave. comming to a darkside fourm cutting down darksiders. you use a lot of $10 words that dont mean much to people who have ridden thousands of miles on car tires Safely. Go find some other fourm to have your fun.. Mad
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Car tire on a bike? Why? Empty Cutting down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:56 pm

Im not cutting down anyone.I dont know anyone of you guys and I was just posting some info on the safety aspects of mounting a car tire on your beloved site.But if thats how you see it then I will go to another site.You guys are the brave ones as far as Im concerned.get educated before you do something stupid.I hope you get a million safe miles out of your tire.Sorry to offend you "darksiders".
you are brave. comming to a darkside fourm cutting down darksiders. you use a lot of $10 words that dont mean much to people who have ridden thousands of miles on car tires Safely. Go find some other fourm to have your fun..
What are you gonna do cut me with your light saber?

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:12 pm

buds dad wrote:Im not cutting down anyone.I dont know anyone of you guys and I was just posting some info on the safety aspects of mounting a car tire on your beloved site.But if thats how you see it then I will go to another site.You guys are the brave ones as far as Im concerned.get educated before you do something stupid.I hope you get a million safe miles out of your tire.Sorry to offend you "darksiders".
you are brave. comming to a darkside fourm cutting down darksiders. you use a lot of $10 words that dont mean much to people who have ridden thousands of miles on car tires Safely. Go find some other fourm to have your fun..
What are you gonna do cut me with your light saber?
But we are educated. that is why we no longer ride on no traction, poor performance, Unsafe motorcycle tires.
grizak
grizak

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks Dad. Rolling Eyes
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Car tire on a bike? Why? Empty Safety

Post  willdc Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:30 pm

Not sure why you decided today was the day to troll the darkside forums, but if you really want to make a point about safety, please explain how my 700 pound bike is going to stress a tire to the point of failure when that tire is designed to hold up a 3500 pound vehicle?
When a car turns, the car stays level and all the force is pushing the tire from the side, when the bike turns, it leans into the turn, so the majority of the force from the bike is still pushing straight down on the tire. So not only is the tire understressed from the weight of the bike, but also has very little side to side force pushing on it during the turns.
Car tires(most) use a softer compound than motorcycle tires. There is more tire on the road at all times with a car tire. So the tire has more grip than a motorcycle tire and you have more tire on the road! Both very safe!! And yes, there is more tread to a car tire so it lasts longer.

You used alot of big words during your sermon, but until you man up and actually try what your complaining about, you don't have a clue!!

willdc

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:59 pm

I beleave the ct has already been proven, and seams to be safe, or safer than a mt.
I dont have as many miles as some of the guys that have been running them for yrs.
There havent been any report of failures of accidents caused by running a ct on a bike, I have had some close calls caused by the mt and feel safer with the ct. It has been proven.
That being said. GO TROLL SOME WHERE ELSE.

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:01 pm

buds dad wrote:Im sure I will get beat up over this but here it goes. Something you car tire guys should consider before putting a car tire on a bike. Tires no matter if its for a bike or car,are measured and "weighed" in whats called a force machine.They are checked for radial,radial first,lateral and conicity. The two tires have to totally different limits. The biggest factor you guys are gonna deal with somewhere down the road is the even wear and I would guess conicity (side pull). A car tire is forced with parameters for the weight of a car.I see car tires that force between 17 to 22 pounds of radial and 5 to 11 pounds of conicity.You guys think your gonna gain on mileage or whatever your doin it for but your taking a chance with safety.Just because it fits dont mean it works.Good luck

buds dad,

If you were really worried about our safety...WHY DON'T YOU TELL US TO SELL OUR BIKES AND BUY AN "SUV"........ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing So what so un-safe about riding a motorcycle with a car tire that aren't already inherently dangerous riding against cagers on cell phones.

Well that's what is SAFE about the car tire. More control, improved stopping power, more traction when it is limited by weather or road conditions, and rain grooves that NEVER go away after a few 1000 miles as with a motorcycle tire. I guess you think motorcycle tires have softer rubber than car tires and makes them so much better than car tires also.....huh? If you do think that you are mistaken grossly!

Why would you think that's the answer you thought you would get over here, when you are the response that ignorant people give us who don't have all the data. I say ignorant as that you are un-educated to the the darkside is the only way you could make that statement. Spoken like a true outsider by your own words. Come on.....if it's sooooooo dangerous and un-safe....show us some facts?

.........................bobby

Last edited by twin1300 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:12 pm

I'm not going to bash anyone here... BUT... What I think is hilarious is that all these naysayers keep saying the CT has been proven to be unsafe?? Well what's really funny is the other side of that.... They haven't been proven to be UNsafe either!!! I'm keeping my CT.... When I buy a new bike, I'll take off the MT and put on a CT. Just they way I am and they way I like the ride and performance of a CT..

Thanks!!!
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:10 pm

I personally went darkside because I'm really sick and tired of living and figured my wife could not collect my life insurance policy if I killed myself, but a bike crash would net her enough money to live well for many years and take care of my girls.

Really, I swear this is the dumbest idea I have ever had, I KNOW it will kill me but dang it life just ain't worth living any more.

Of course I could just be full of Shirt too!

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  061300c Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:58 pm

yeah my bike spontainiously combusted yesterday i think it was the combination of the ct and i put car air in too. oh well being dead is fun lol

061300c

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Back to top Go down

Car tire on a bike? Why? Empty Sorry

Post  Guest Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:19 pm

I guess being in the tire manufacturing industry for the last 22 years makes me ignorant to the ins and outs of how tires work and designed.Good luck to you all and may the force be with you.I can see you all are a bunch of lame tight wads who would rather spend your money on starwars figures for your bikes than maintain them with the right stuff.Hell half of you cant even spell, makes me understand why you put car tires on your bikes.SOMEONE PLEASE remove me from your member registry.I didnt know this site was for dumb asses.

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:46 am

Guest wrote:I guess being in the tire manufacturing industry for the last 22 years makes me ignorant to the ins and outs of how tires work and designed.Good luck to you all and may the force be with you.I can see you all are a bunch of lame tight wads who would rather spend your money on starwars figures for your bikes than maintain them with the right stuff.Hell half of you cant even spell, makes me understand why you put car tires on your bikes.SOMEONE PLEASE remove me from your member registry.I didn't know this site was for dumb asses.

Thanks for pointing out how narrow minded you really are, but I do have to ask how you really feel?

Your 22 years of being in the industry might be over shadowed by the history of motorcycling to begin with. If you look at the early automobile you'll notice the size and dimensions of the tire used back then. Then take a look at the tires the first true motorcycles. If it is beyond your capacity to add two and two together I'll help simplify it for you, they are the same tire.

Advancements to both machines and the parts used have changed drastically over the years just like that of the basic tools we use today. Back then all they had was their intelligence and nature. We've forged our tools and use them on a regular basis and improve upon them. All in all, the first basic tool was the rock with it's several different uses. Now one would think that we've gotten away from using such a primitive tool with all the technology we have access to today, but it still doesn't mean that a simple rock can't be used to nail a tent stake in when you don't have a hammer.

Be happy that you live in a country that allows you the simple right to speak your mind. You have the right to your opinion , doesn't mean that we have to agree with it. So please, continue to be narrow minded to something that has worked for several years with no problem. We'll continue to defy the odds by doing what is sensible and not conform to the masses.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:33 am

Guest wrote:I guess being in the tire manufacturing industry for the last 22 years makes me ignorant to the ins and outs of how tires work and designed.Good luck to you all and may the force be with you.I can see you all are a bunch of lame tight wads who would rather spend your money on starwars figures for your bikes than maintain them with the right stuff.Hell half of you cant even spell, makes me understand why you put car tires on your bikes.SOMEONE PLEASE remove me from your member registry.I didnt know this site was for dumb asses.

And you are such a genius....you can't even use the space bar after periods................. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't come back! I don't believe you ever worked as a tire manufacture for over 22 years..Bwwhahahahaha.... After 22 years of wisdom in the tire industry all you can post is cut downs and star wars figures for you wisdom........YOU ARE A TROLL..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

....................bobby

Last edited by twin1300 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:06 am

Tight wads?!? Hell my Michelin cost as much as the stock tire.
Added fairing, hard bags, 1800 rear wheel and a ton of other stuff...bet I've spent the bike's cost in parts/upgrades.

Tight wads my ass. Dumb ass?!? Nah, more like folks that see the world as more than in black and white.
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DocRawk Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:32 pm

Oh MYLANTA!!! I'm gonna go put the dunnie back on. I had no idea that the Grabber was made for a car. I've been dupped... Rolling Eyes
DocRawk
DocRawk

Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:37 pm

DocRawk wrote:Oh MYLANTA!!! I'm gonna go put the dunnie back on. I had no idea that the Grabber was made for a car. I've been dupped... Rolling Eyes

Hey Doc,

Bwwhahahahaha Thanks for the tip.....I just found out my tire is a "snow and rain" tire and I am riding it in the summer time, what was I thinking.......... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

.............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Siggy57 Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:35 pm

You mean that the Grabber that I just put on is wider than my stock dunnie? I've done it now, the increased traction and stability will surely be the death of me. I've modified my bike way beyond spec so I'm sure now that I'm going to die in a fiery crash. Oh whoa is me, I've gone and done something the manufacturer didn't count on and I'm sure I'll pay the ultimate price. Gimme a freakin break!

Siggy57

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:42 pm

Troll clean up on aisle 9 What a Face is he gone yet? lol!

Last edited by grizak on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
grizak
grizak

Back to top Go down

Car tire on a bike? Why? Empty who is guest?

Post  horseman8m Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:02 pm

Guest why hide behind anonymity , tell us your name and be a man.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:39 pm

He had a user name, but has ben deleted. I think it was "buds dad" or something like that.

Funny, he claims to be an expert. Hmmmm. I'm not an expert by no means, but I do think I have enough training and education and experience in how/why bikes work that I would know if something was hindering my bikes handling performance.

then again I only have 4000 miles on my grabber so time will tell.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Probley has 22yrs. of sweeping floors in a tire shop. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing cheers

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  Siggy57 Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:08 pm

I guess running the "Force Machine" for 22 years makes you an expert at pretty much anything and everyone else an idiot! 'Laughing' 'Laughing' Laughing' 'Laughing'

Siggy57

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next