Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lessons learned the hard way

+9
horseman8m
Blade
twin1300
Muntz
smokey2255
jedishon
cerooth
Badmoon
gstanfield
13 posters

Go down

Lessons learned the hard way Empty Lessons learned the hard way

Post  gstanfield Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:14 pm

I figured this would be a good place to share those embarresing stories of lessons we have all learned from doing something stupid.

Let's see, oh yeah.

Never ride 29 stand up wheelies back and forth across the parking lot during your lunch break. 28 is OK, but the 29th one almost cost me my right foot. I was draggin the rear fender on my DRZ400S when things went wrong and the result RIPPED APART MY FOOT!!! Yes, that's right it ripped my 8" leather work boots in half and ripped my foot in half. They thought they woudl have to amputate it, but ended up saving it and besides the nerve damage that hurts every hour of every day I'm OK now.

Oh yeah, I wear a size 11.5 on my left foot and a size 12.5 on my right. I have to compromise and buy size 12 boots and it works out OK, just not real comfy, but I can't afford to spend $250 for boots to get the right size for each foot.

So, your turn Smile

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Lessons learned the hard way Empty Re: Lessons learned the hard way

Post  Badmoon Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:52 pm

Mine I call the Arther Fonzerilli.
I tried to jump 16 garbage cans on my YZ125 when I was 15. We had it all figgured out. The speed, the start point and the time. All my friends were there. Got running toward the ramp and was gonna be cool, give the girlfriend a wave a took my eyes off my path. I missed the ramp and took out 16 garbage cans. I was ok but required to have my knee drained every other day for 3 weeks and was on crutches for 6.
It is all good now. Nobody remembers when you get old.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:56 pm

Cool, my problem is mine happened just a little while back (Nov 2006) so all my friends will forever remember it.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:32 am

In a way I was lucky to get out most of my "hey, watch this" phase early on. Lord knows I shouldn't be here for half the stuff I've done. Nowadays I just enjoy the moment since I get to take care of the drunks and ensure they make it home ok. I take plenty of pictures to help them remember just what happened to them that night/weekend.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:18 am

Mine is so simple that it is embarrassing. I forgot to put my kickstand down. Of course it happened in front of about 20 people. We had pulled up to one of those mini-marts/gas stations. I was asking Greg a question, got my answer and swung my leg over the bike. As I did it, I could see Greg forming the word 'kick' and I realized what I had done. I was laughing all the way down. Price? Two cracked bones in my left hand and a bruise on my leg. Lesson learned? Priceless.

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:32 am

Between the 7th and 8th grades I was hit by 7 cars and 1 city bus. 5 times with cars I was riding my bike delivering the morning paper. The bus I was riding my bike trying to get home. 2 other cars just ran red lights while I was walking across the street..... Lesson learned: None.....Still riding, bigger bike though.

Uncle Jerr
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:24 am

jedishon wrote:Between the 7th and 8th grades I was hit by 7 cars and 1 city bus. 5 times with cars I was riding my bike delivering the morning paper. The bus I was riding my bike trying to get home. 2 other cars just ran red lights while I was walking across the street..... Lesson learned: None.....Still riding, bigger bike though.

Uncle Jerr

Do you ride in a group? If you do, Are you lead or the Tailgunner? I said before that it would be good to ride with ya. I still want to ride with ya but am gonna give you plenty of space.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:33 am

Badmoon wrote:
jedishon wrote:Between the 7th and 8th grades I was hit by 7 cars and 1 city bus. 5 times with cars I was riding my bike delivering the morning paper. The bus I was riding my bike trying to get home. 2 other cars just ran red lights while I was walking across the street..... Lesson learned: None.....Still riding, bigger bike though.

Uncle Jerr

Do you ride in a group? If you do, Are you lead or the Tailgunner? I said before that it would be good to ride with ya. I still want to ride with ya but am gonna give you plenty of space.

Moon

I'm a loner now........No friends left....but I need to find 6 more before I can be buried.....

Uncle Jerr
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:38 am

Day laborers will carry you. You don't need friends (good thing huh?) I am gonna go in a ball of flames there will be nothing left.

Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu May 01, 2008 11:23 pm

Never sit down on a Darkside WOT burnout and release the front brake. Evil or Very Mad
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri May 02, 2008 7:33 am

Muntz wrote:Never sit down on a Darkside WOT burnout and release the front brake. Evil or Very Mad

Dang good advice........Muntz!

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Lessons learned the hard way Empty Lesson learn

Post  Blade Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:03 pm

you Don't do stupid stuff ,keep your wheels straight when coming to a stop with a passenger on the back ,then make the turn as you use the friction zone to start around a conner ,other than that be careful backing up ,ride your ride don't let any one push you to do things you aren't comfortable with ,we all do stupid stuff time to time be careful don't show off it all ways seams to get hurt

Cool
Blade
Blade

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-06-09

http://www.bvrsales.com

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:08 am

Have you ever heard the term black ice , i was stationed overseas was going into work and kit a patch of black ice and was going down hill sideways on my motorcycle i had both feet down not moving forward but sliding downhill sideways , no control at all . Ended up in a ditch at the bottom of the hill . nothing injured but my pride and nerves rattled but ok.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppawolf Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:33 am

The lesson I learned is from the 80's. My room mate and I had headed up to Summit's Point raceway to watch a friend race his bike. Anyone that has been up there will tell you the road to the track is sometimes more fun than the racing. I am riding my CX500 Custom and at 50 mph I can leave the hills and land on 1 wheel at the bottom, there were some nice curves too. Well, we passed the track and were heading back and this time I am doing little wheel hops on the top of the dips. I take one a little faster than normal and think nothing of it because it is a long tree lined road. Problem came when I got to the top of the hill and the road took a 90 to the left. The damn tree line kept going straight. I ended up jumping a farmers fence and landing in the middle of his field. I held it steady and almost had it stopped when I hit the only boulder for 50 yards. I fell over doing about 5mph. Dented up my shifter and break lever. Bent my signals, but the bike still ran. We make it to the track and I borrow tools to straighten everything out. We were only a couple of hundred miles from home and was scared shirtless. So my lesson was not to follow the trees. Some farmer wants his field more than he wants a road.

DB
Poppawolf
Poppawolf

Number of posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:05 am

Don't ride street bikes on dirt trails in construction zones over blind hills where huge chunks of concrete might be randomly distributed.

Just sayin'.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:24 am

Watch for slimey mud near known mudding holes. Suspect jacka$$es could have at least cleaned it up in the blind curves. Cool
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Lessons learned the hard way Empty Lessons

Post  Clay-san Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:24 pm

Never overload the back rack of your bike for camping with a passenger, get p.o.ed at your passenger, and give "just a tiny bit" more throttle than normal when taking off from a stop. I tried it 6/28/06 Embarassed and wheelied affraid , crushed my right foot (yay Red Wing steel toe), and dumped just outside Milwaukee. What did I get? 4 days in the hospital (avoid THIS at all costs, especially there) and, no kidding, one speeding ticket with NO witnesses Rolling Eyes , and a bike rebuild with the wrong accessories, cross threaded ALL 4 exhaust nuts, and stripped a radiator bolt that I am still trying to correct Evil or Very Mad .
IF YOU REBUILD A BIKE AFTER A CRASH:
Think carefully about what you would do differently from how the bike was set up originally. The shop in WI substituted 18 liter bags for the 24 liter stock Honda bags I had originally. Later I found other bags with quick release Easy Brackets included that were bigger and less expensive than Honda bags w/o hardware.
ALSO: I should have had my bike shipped home for repair because I had NO recourse on that shop because insurance had already paid off so my buddy could ride it home to me.
Clay-san
Clay-san

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Clay-san wrote:Never overload the back rack of your bike for camping with a passenger, get p.o.ed at your passenger, and give "just a tiny bit" more throttle than normal when taking off from a stop. I tried it 6/28/06 Embarassed and wheelied affraid , crushed my right foot (yay Red Wing steel toe), and dumped just outside Milwaukee. What did I get? 4 days in the hospital (avoid THIS at all costs, especially there) and, no kidding, one speeding ticket with NO witnesses Rolling Eyes , and a bike rebuild with the wrong accessories, cross threaded ALL 4 exhaust nuts, and stripped a radiator bolt that I am still trying to correct Evil or Very Mad .
IF YOU REBUILD A BIKE AFTER A CRASH:
Think carefully about what you would do differently from how the bike was set up originally. The shop in WI substituted 18 liter bags for the 24 liter stock Honda bags I had originally. Later I found other bags with quick release Easy Brackets included that were bigger and less expensive than Honda bags w/o hardware.
ALSO: I should have had my bike shipped home for repair because I had NO recourse on that shop because insurance had already paid off so my buddy could ride it home to me.

What can I say.....WOW! Sorry to hear that! I hope you are OK?

...............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down