Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helpful info

3 posters

Go down

Helpful info Empty Helpful info

Post  Shock Doctrine Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:50 am

Just finished putting a 205/55ZR16 Eagle F1 on 2003 VTX 1800 C - I was following Bare's VTX web site for taking off the rear wheel for the rear axle he says you can use either a 7/16 or 12 mm allen I bought the 7/16 and by the time I went to retorque it started to slip. I would recommend getting a good 12 mm allen socket expensive but worth it( snap on) also there must of been a shortage of grease the day they built my bike -seems a likely reason for the bearings to go with only 8000 mi. I have applied lots ( moly paste) also make sure you tie the front end down securely- so that when you get mad that the tire won't fit in from the back and lift up on the bike it dosen't fall all the way over to the right(wow) don't try this without a buddy present ( I did) Don't try and mount the tire yourself unless you like polishing out rim scratches (I know how now). I did grind the inside ears and part of the rail off also. Looks good now- thought maybe this might help.

Shock Doctrine

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Back to top Go down

Helpful info Empty Re: Helpful info

Post  vtxreaper Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:41 am

Thanks for posting Shock. there are trials and tribulations on the mount, some go better than others. But the rewards is much improved handleing and tire life. Did it and can't find any reason to look back...Ride Safe,,,,REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:49 pm

=" Don't try and mount the tire yourself unless you like polishing out rim scratches (I know how now).

you can get these motorcycle tire spoons on e-bay. they work great. no scratches. I was impressed..
Helpful info 7563spoons1
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Shock Doctrine Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks for the info on the spoons- but to late- the tire was such a tight fit just trying to get that last part over was starting to cut into the tire- lucky I finally found someone with a machine who would do it.

Shock Doctrine

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum