Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about going to the Darkside

4 posters

Go down

Thinking about going to the Darkside Empty Thinking about going to the Darkside

Post  bigkevin112 Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm very new to the whole idea of going to the darkside. Now I'm thinking of going for it and seeing if I like it. I have been doing some research on switching to the darkside. I have a 05 1300R and I know that I need a 205/70/15. I was going to be mounting it myself but I'm a little unsure of somethings...

1. Once the tire is mounted do you have to balance the tire?
a.If balancing is needed can i just use the tire balancing beads? (how do you know how much weight to put in the tire?)
2. Was going to go with the Hydroedge(because everyone seams to love it) but it looks to be discontinued so what other tires would be good like that one? Or would any 205/70/15 CT work?

Thanks inadvance for the answers

bigkevin112

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Thinking about going to the Darkside Empty Re: Thinking about going to the Darkside

Post  bigkevin112 Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:29 am

Sorry to double post but I had found a tire that I liked but want sure about it yet. What do you guys think of the Michelin Defender or the Yokohama AVID Ascend? The Defender is a bit more on the price but it was suppose to be the Hydroedge replacement.... Not sure what the different was besides the tread placement maybe.

bigkevin112

Back to top Go down

Thinking about going to the Darkside Empty Re: Thinking about going to the Darkside

Post  Fly Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:31 am

Kevin, can't comment on either choice of tire, because I've not tried either. I always change my own tires and use the axle on jack stands to balance the tire, this works just fine and is better IMHO than putting a bunch of BBs that will find the spot most distant from the axle and stay there.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkevin112 Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Fly wrote:Kevin, can't comment on either choice of tire, because I've not tried either.  I always change my own tires and use the axle on jack stands to balance the tire, this works just fine and is better IMHO than putting a bunch of BBs that will find the spot most distant from the axle and stay there.
Ok thank you. That helps me out some. I just need to figure out what to do about a tire now. If I want to go with one of the ones that I have listed or try and find another.

bigkevin112

Back to top Go down

Post  Falcon518 Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:22 pm

bigkevin112,
I too have an 05 1300r. what did you decide on? Just got a nail in my tire and time to replace. I have been reading on different tires, and still undecided.

Falcon518

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkevin112 Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:37 am

I haven't done it yet. I'm still waiting until my rear needs a new one. Still trying to decide if I want to go to the dark side or not.

bigkevin112

Back to top Go down

Post  tagrider Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:17 pm

I've been reading your post back and forth with wayne and that helped me with my decision from the Hydroedge to the Defender. It's sitting in my garage right now, 205/70-15 waiting for me. I can unmount/mount myself, I just don't have a compressor. Thinking about taking it to work and having going to visit the building and Grounds crew. Can anyone tell me how to air this up? This is my first darkside. I don't want to use a gas station type filler do I? I want to use something that clips on so I don't have to hold it in place while the tire fills? REALLY looking forward to this, but in New England this time of year, I don't know if i should wait till Spring or not. I ride year round, don't want to be "learning" how to ride darkside on sand and salt covered roads. Or will I get used to it quickly?

tagrider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum