Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Altimax

5 posters

Go down

General Altimax Empty General Altimax

Post  wayne Sun May 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Was wondering if anyone is running this tire and have had any issues with a wobble at 70 and it gets worse the faster you go.
Its the 205 70 15

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

General Altimax Empty Re: General Altimax

Post  wayne Wed May 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Wow, no one?
Is anyone running this tire??

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Thu May 09, 2013 9:16 am

I've not used that tire Wayne, but it seems I remember reading a thread somewhere (not sure where),
about somebody expressing the same complaint about the Altimax.
There were a lot of suggestions posted about rear suspension flex, bushings, shocks, etc. Shrug

I know General's seem to have softer sidewalls, but I don't know if this might be part of the problem or not. hmmm
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu May 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Shock bushings are all good, Im running alum. ones and greese them once a year. They are the ones everybody said wont work, and they have over 40k on them. Charlie D made them at the machine shop.
I start getting a wobble at 70 and it just keeps getting worse, so I put the hydro edge back on. Charlie is running the Altiamax and said his did the same at 80 but it got better when the tire broke in at about 500 miles. I should have just smoked the tire in the shop and see if that helped, but I didnt want to put up with it for 500 miles, it got pretty hairy at 80mph. I may put it back on and give it some time. Havent decided yet.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 pm

What Altimax was it Wayne? I put the General Altimax RT on my wife's 1300 and it had more mold release than ever on it and It slipped and slid a lot because I didn't do a burn out with it, but once the mold release was off it rides great. I have had her bike up to about 100 and no wobble at all.
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu May 09, 2013 8:29 pm

It was the RT
I have had 5 to 7 different cts and it is the only one that has did this.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Well I put hers on a C rear rim, I didn't use her spoke, we got a great deal on a C rear and she only has about 600 miles on it because it has been on the stand since November until the last week or so. Had her bike tore down for paint and a bunch of maintenance we did to it. I rode it a lot when we first put the car tire on it to make sure it was ok at first didn't want her to have any issues. Since we got it back on the road last week I rode it a bit to make sure even though it is pink now, but still no wobble. Got the GYTT on my 1800 followed your post to seal the spokes and really appreciate your expertise. If the shock bushings are good and it doesn't do it with your other tires, could be a bad or out of round tire or something?
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Thu May 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Took her 1300 from this
General Altimax 5I25Na5Ge3E33Ja3p1c8r5a88fa3c3dcf16b6_zpsbf8768f9
Added the General Altimax RT
General Altimax 100_6805_zps75dca088
Turned her bike into this over the winter
General Altimax 100_6987_zps12f54471
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sun May 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Well, I have decided to put the tire back on and give it about 500 miles, it has 100 on it, just to see if it breaks in, I may just do a burn out and see if that will help.
Looking at the tire closely, i think what is happening is, there is so many groves in it that the rubber is flexing at higher speeds. It is also a soft side wall. Side wall is all seated, i checked it over close, Not my first rodeo.

Will keep you informed.
I just dont know if i can handle the feel for 500 miles. We will see.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds Mon May 27, 2013 12:34 pm

You could also try more air pressure in the rear tire. Not the same tire but some who bought the 175R16 tire have reported a wobble at speed and they have found that the more air pressure in the rear tire the less wobble they had. Some have gone up to the max air pressure of the tire(I think its 51 LBS) and have completely done away with the wobble, then after a few miles lower the pressure down 2LBS at a time till the wobble comes back then add a couple of pounds of air and call it good.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Mon May 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Max recomended is 44 on the tire, and I went up to 46 and that where I am now.
This is about 5 or 7th, forgot, tire that I have used, and its the only one.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:33 pm

Well, the tire is coming off, I have over 600 miles on it and its not getting any better. It has to go. My wife rode the bike and said holly sheet, you got to get that takeing care of.

Out of all the tires I have ran and tested, this one is the worst. It corners good but thats about it. to scary to take over 75. All the other tires I have ran, I have had from 115 to 117mph.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Wow I don't blame you I would ditch the tire, we just did a 4400 mile trip out west and back and my wife's Altimax performed well except for the valve stem leaking and had to be replaced on the trip.
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:50 pm

I just test rode with a Michelin Defender, and I have to say, WOW! So much better, Im happy now, the tire on has about 15 miles on it, but I must say it feels great. I did break it loose when I hit 2nd. OOPs, the tire cornners great also, I had it layed over hard and drug the floor boards and I dont drag offten, I have a 150 up front and that raised the bike up and when some drag , I dont.
I had it up to 90 in a 55 and was solid. I wanted to go faster, but, didnt want to get talked to by Barny
I would recomend this tire to anyone.
It is a 90,000 mile tire, I wil be happy to get 20 to 30k out of it. I got it for $112

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkevin112 Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:12 pm

wayne wrote:I just test rode with a Michelin Defender, and I have to say, WOW!  So much better,  Im happy now, the tire on has about 15 miles on it, but I must say it feels great.  I did break it loose when I hit 2nd. OOPs,   the tire cornners great also, I had it layed over hard and drug the floor boards and I dont drag offten, I have a 150 up front and that raised the bike up and when some drag , I dont.    
I had it up to 90 in a 55 and was solid. I wanted to go faster, but, didnt want to get talked to by Barny
I would recomend this tire to anyone.
It is a 90,000 mile tire, I wil be happy to get 20 to 30k out of it. I got it for $112
Hey wayne,

I was looking at getting the Michelin Defender. Now since you have had it on for a few months are you still liking it? Hows it holding up? Any problems with cornering or riding in rain(if you have yet)? Just what ever info you can give me on the tire would be great. I think I might go with this tire so if you recommend it then that might be my tire!!! Very Happy And if you could post a pic of it on the bike would be great too.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

bigkevin112

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:14 pm

I dont have any pictures of it.
But, out of all the tires that I have ran. It is one of the best. No problems at all.
I cant remember how many I have tried. When Twin and I started running cts on the 1300s, I think the first 2 yrs. I ran like 5 or 6 just to see what was going to work.
The Defender is better than the Hydroedge by far. It is as good if not better than the Altimax, I would not recomend that tire to anyone after running it for 7 or 800 miles, I cant remember what it was. I pull the tire off and took it to the tire store and they mounted it on a rim to check out the tire, found nutten wrong with it and gave it to a little old lady that just happened to need a tire and didnt have the money. So it went to a good cause.

So, that being said, I would recomend the defender very highly. I place it up there at # 1 of the tires I have tried. Your not going to get a better one as far as I am concerned

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkevin112 Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:45 pm

wayne wrote:I dont have any pictures of it.
But, out of all the tires that I have ran. It is one of the best. No problems at all.
I cant remember how many I have tried. When Twin and I started running cts on the 1300s, I think the first 2 yrs. I ran like 5 or 6 just to see what was going to work.
The Defender is better than the Hydroedge by far.  It is as good if not better than the Altimax, I would not recomend that tire to anyone after running it for 7 or 800 miles, I cant remember what it was.  I pull the tire off and took it to the tire store and they mounted it on a rim to check out the tire, found nutten wrong with it and gave it to a little old lady that just happened to need a tire and didnt have the money. So it went to a good cause.

So, that being said, I would recomend the defender very highly. I place it up there at # 1 of the tires I have tried. Your not going to get a better one as far as I am concerned  
Awesome! Thank you so much Wayne. I really appreciate it. But that sells it for me if its better then the Hydroedge because that is one of the highly used tires on 1300's. I'm pretty excited to try it out and see what I think of the Darkside!

bigkevin112

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:53 pm

I have about 25 to 30k on my hydroedge, I liked it, but I like this one better as you have read.
I did go with the 65 instead of the taller 70, I think the 65 handle a little better in the twisties, shorter side wall , less flex, and I cant tell any difference in the ride as far as going on the straight stretch.

Good luck, you cant go wrong.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkevin112 Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:53 pm

I thought that it was hard to get the tire to set the bead with a 65 on the vtx rim? So you went with the 205/65/15? So the 65 is better for the cornering?

bigkevin112

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:57 pm

That is my findings.  Some will dissagree. Like i said, I have probley ran more tires than anyone with a 1300 in the US.  I have 4 rims, 2 spoke and 2 mags with tires mounted on them.  I got extra rims when we first started mounting ct on the 1300s and I mount my own tires.

Im pushing 100k on the bike, I thought I would hit the last summer, but been busy and I dont think Im going to make it for a few months.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkevin112 Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Ok. Did you have any troubles mounting it? And that's awesome that you have put that many miles on the same bike. I hope to do the same.

bigkevin112

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:03 am

No problems at all.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkevin112 Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Ok thank you for all your help Wayne!! I really appreciate it. Sorry if I was a pain and asked to many questions. Just trying to get some solid info to make my transition to the Darkside easier.

bigkevin112

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down