Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to put additional driving lights?

4 posters

Go down

Where to put additional driving lights? Empty Where to put additional driving lights?

Post  Steve-O Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:25 pm

I like where Dave has his, but I don't have a crash bar and may never get them.
I like how Twin did his, but not sure that would work on the Shadow.

I'm considering buying some Memphis Shade Lowers (I have their windshield) and using these as the mounting brackets. I saw some small lights at wal mart but they need to have a bracket rigged. I'd rather have them down low. Thought about attaching a bracket to the radiator cover. This may be an option.

Saw some expensive bullet chrome lights, but too pricey for me. I like the $20 wal mart lights and the $25 memphis shade....(Plus $50 for the brackets).

Anyway, anyone else have any clever ways to install lights?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Where to put additional driving lights? Empty Re: Where to put additional driving lights?

Post  twin1300 Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:52 pm

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Where to put additional driving lights? Empty Re: Where to put additional driving lights?

Post  Steve-O Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks! I saw this and it's what got me thinking about where to put them. your 1300 frame, the 1" bars hang outside a bit more than on our Shadows. I don't have as much room to put them there and I'd have to extend them out a bit. Thought about reinforcing the radiator cover a bit and putting some brackets on these. Not sure if they were stable enough though. Might remove my fork pouch and put them there. But the forks are 1.5" and most clamps/brackets that come with lights are 1"

I liked these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290213576683&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019
and they come in different colors.

Of course, I wonder why I need more lights at all. I try NOT to ride at night and having more lights might encourage me to ride when the drunks and the animals play...... Rolling Eyes
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:22 am

Hey, I think Wally world has the same lites for around $20. No, I wouldn't use the radiator shroud to do this, I think it will fatigue over time and crack it. There is another thread on here that mounts them around the headlight!

I originally installed my lites to be seen in the daytime only, so cagers would not pull out in front of me so much. I like the large triangle lite pattern to so speed and make me look larger to a cager. It does work great for daytime driving also. I now get the second look before they try to pull out. But the nite benefit is un-believeable!!!!!!!!!!!

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:07 pm

http://www.customdynamics.com/index.htm

This site has a bunch of lighting stuff including clamps which will come in handy. Still thinking about where to put them. It looks like I'll be spending $50-$150 for lights, clamps, and wiring. Thanks for the help!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  TennX Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:54 pm

Moved

Last edited by TennX on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
TennX
TennX

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:53 pm

I like Reapers lights. I've been meaning to ask him about them.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down