Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just curious

+3
twin1300
Steve-O
kermit
7 posters

Go down

Just curious Empty Just curious

Post  kermit Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:52 am

Folks seem to be changing out their darksides as often as kids change their cell phone covers and mostly just because they want a different look. I believe these tires will get alot of mileage, but, can somebody "Stand up and Testify"?

Wink
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Just curious Empty Re: Just curious

Post  Steve-O Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:22 pm

I think we are just now settling down and getting comfortable with these tires. MTs on smaller bikes is relatively new. That said, I've seen tires with 23k on them. Twin has probably a couple of tire lifespan stories and Dark Shadow will put 20k on his tire this year. I'm waiting for his report......

Treadwear rating on some of these tires is very high and our bike weights are way below the weight rating. I would expect significant mileage on some tires. I'm interested in real world mileage stories too, so thanks for asking!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Kermit,

I put my first darkside on Thanksgiving "06 and replaced it in Jan. '08 with 15,000+ plus miles on it and at least a 60 burnouts turning the world white. And still had 1/4 of the tread left! If I had road it like my motorcycle tire...I guess I could have gotten 25,000+ out of it. I only changed the 165 out to help others with some more options, because the 165's were getting harder to find. The guys asked me.."what do you want to do with this tire"....I told him, it's been a good one and got some miles left, but toss it!

So, NO I aint no expert in telling you what kind of mileage you will get. I don't think any one in 2 years on a 1300 has found the end of one yet in normal riding! (Smokey....I said in normal riding) If you see smokey's videos you will understand why he only got 10,000 miles out of his. He killed his with abuse!...not riding!

I tell ya'.......the most I have seen is Bigd_74 with his mileage and didn't get to the end of his and just changed it for the heck of it, just to have something different like the wideside. Cerooth I think had a lot of miles too! Heck the guys that do have them ask me the same question and say I got this many miles..."how long should it last". I don't have a clue! At some of their rates, I think they will dry rot before they use it up!

I am like you....I hope some people come on here and say what they got!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:05 pm

THAT WAS NOT ABUSE.......... that smoke was too pretty to call it abuse. Hell I had to find a way to kill it so I could justify (to the wifey) doing the foots mod. Like Twin said I had 10,000 on mine and I am sure I could have doubled if ot tripled that had I not enjoyed the smoke so much. I am sure I took 25% of the tires life on the first day I had it on. Laughing
I think the most I heard about was 42,000 miles on one. Don't quote me on that but I think that is what was said.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  motorcyclereb Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:02 am

I now have over 7000 on mine and looking for a lot more, tire still looks new. Very Happy Laughing
motorcyclereb
motorcyclereb
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:35 am

I can only get about 10,000 to 12,000 miles out of the tire I use on my Valkyrie ( Cooper Zeon 2XS ...205/55/16 ) its a premium ultra-high performance summer tire with a directional pattern . It's " W " rated @ 168 mph and I'll soon be on my 4th one on the yellow bike and when the Avon is toast on the blue/white I just re-built it will have a Cooper Zeon also. The soft compound does'nt allow for the 30,000 plus miles some folks get when they install a passenger tire like grand-ma would use on her Buick. The Cooper Zeon cost me right at $100.00 out the door that's close to half what a MC tire cost and it lasts twice as long plus I need to pull the tire every 10,000 to 12,000 to service the final drive splines.I'm very hard on tires living in the beautiful Tennessee mountains . Everytime my a$$ hits the saddle we are in search of twisties.I've seen some folks here and on the Valkyrie board post photo's of the passenger tires they have mounted and to be honest I would'nt ride to the mailbox on one let alone sling it into a high speed curve....But thats just me.
Just curious Groveaccident013
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:56 am

That Cooper might be my next tire after this Michelin HydraEdge...although I'm sure I'll get more than 12k out of this tire this time..no Dayton burnout pits and my area is kinda sparce when it comes to good twisties.

Although the April rally and my trip should add some fun roads. Very Happy
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:48 am

You'll be happy with it I guarantee. You can drag the hard parts and it really shines in wet weather and hard braking.
Just curious Killboy2
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down