Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diving Into the Darkside 1800R

5 posters

Go down

Diving Into the Darkside 1800R Empty Diving Into the Darkside 1800R

Post  Finlaggan Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:30 pm

Well after months of trolling this site and doing the research to convince me, I'm in. I ride a 2005 VTX 1800R. I can't stand the idea of buying a tire that costs 1.5 times as much and lasts for a pathetic 9500 miles again. So this morning I ordered a Michelin Hydroedge 205/55/R16 from discounttiredirect.com for $124.00. Even though its a 55 bead to tread instead of the 65 most recommend (which honestly I couldn't find) I figure I'm used to riding with the speedo 5 over from actual speed anyway, that will probably remain about the same. A good friend of mine in Colorado Springs has the mounting and balancing equipment needed, so I don't have to listen to a bunch of whiny Honda reps tell me about how its a bad idea this and I'm crazy that. (Which by the way if you go to the big Honda store in the Springs on Chelton and Platte, is exactly what you will hear.)
Thanks for all the valuable info everyone. As soon as the tire gets here and I make the swap I'll keep you updated on how it goes! Keep it shiny side up!
Finlaggan
Finlaggan

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-07-16

Back to top Go down

Diving Into the Darkside 1800R Empty Re: Diving Into the Darkside 1800R

Post  jedishon Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:43 pm

You know you will only be able to ride in a straight line right.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Finlaggan Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Is that your best impression of the Honda rep? If so, its actually pretty spot on! Please don't tell me after all I've read that that tire was a bad one to choose. Doesn't matter, after I came across a comment about the RPM's on 55s' I decided to cancel the Hydroedge and go with the GYTT 205/60R16 anyway. Should be here in a week or so.
Finlaggan
Finlaggan

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54 pm

You are going to love the GYTT I do. Remember you can't put a car tire on a motorcycle or you will crash and burn.
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Finlaggan Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Oh that tire looks awesome! Damn if only I could just fast forward a week. Nice ride Jerry! Oh yeah, crash and burn! You should have seen the look the service guy gave me when I asked if he could mount a CT on my rim. I don't think he would have looked any more incredulous if I had asked him to put wings on it or mount an M-2 on my triple tree! Speaking of which, how sweet would that be?
Finlaggan
Finlaggan

Back to top Go down

Post  sessumrd Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Congrats! With no doubts, I think that after you conquer the learning curve of knowing when to get off the bike to have someone help you turn it so you can get back home, you will love it...! I just took the leap 3-weeks ago and every day it gets better. I wonder why it took me so long to make the move. I like to blame it on the economy, since Obama has already blamed George Bush for everything else...but the fact is, the ride is much better. My wife even commented on how smooth it is. True, getting used to a little more countersteer did take a day or two, mostly due to fear promulgated by the non believers...but really no big deal. But the fear of paying $250 for another Metzler that lasts only 6.5k was the real motivator for me! I did have to pay the dealer $38 bucks and sign his hokey CYA waiver, but it was well worth it. Oh and by the way, I did find a great use for the 200 Metzler. It now hangs from the tree in our backyard for the kids to swing on...
sessumrd
sessumrd

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Finlaggan Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Alright, took the tire off today. Loosened the axle nut then jacked it way up and blocked the front. Instead of removing the caliper bracket pin, which is about impossible if you don't take off the exhaust... I just took the brake pads out and then removed the caliper. Hung it up so the weight wasn't on the brakeline, and this allowed me to swing the caliper bracket up far enough that when I pulled the axle out I had room to shift the wheel to the right and drop it right out. Piece of cake. My VTX only has 9700 miles on it, so the splines and hub are in damn near new shape. Hopefully I can get the tire mounted and balanced tomorrow and the installation will be just as easy! (Knocks on wood) I've got a few pics on my camera, and once I set up a photobucket acccount or whatever, I'll get them up here. Thanks again for all the good advice guys, it is greatly appreciated!
Finlaggan
Finlaggan

Back to top Go down

Post  spud1800r Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Lube the splines up! And every 10k down the road.
Welcome,
Craig
spud1800r
spud1800r

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Finlaggan Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:55 pm

Well, got the tire mounted and balanced today. Took a lot of weights to balance it, I may go with the dyna beads yet. Seated at 20PSI, no problems. The guy who mounted it actually said I would lose all the ability to turn the motorcycle cause the wheel is flat! Whatever. Got home all excited to put it on and found out that the bolt the caliper arm swings on has to come out for this tire to go in. No ifs, ands, or buts. What sucks is it happens to be a 13 mm bolt. Guess which wrench I broke working on my Chevy last year and have yet to replace it? That's right, my 13 mm. Murphy, you are a miserable prick and I'm going to kick you square in the nuts when I die. So much for working on it tonight. Off to buy a new wrench in the morning.
Finlaggan
Finlaggan

Back to top Go down

Post  Finlaggan Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:22 am

Alright, tires on and ready to go! No rubbing, and plenty of room! Had to take off the right shock absorber to get enough room to pull that damn bolt out, but at least I didn't have to remove the exhaust. Lubed the splines and muscled the tire into place, put the brakes back together and the saddlebags back on. Sweet, now to put some miles on it. I'll give you guys my thoughts in a few hundred miles or so!
Finlaggan
Finlaggan

Back to top Go down

Post  Finlaggan Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Well, the good and the bad.

The good- I have absolutely no complaints about this tire. I will never go back to a motorcycle tire. It rides better, handles about the same on the highway and in the curves, and actually handles better at slow speeds. Plus, it just looks f**cking awesome! I put about 1000 miles on it and had several compliments and questions about it. I highly recommend going Darkside to those of you lurking on this site, and still on the fence.

The bad- Hit a goddamn deer and now my bike is out of action for the foreseeable future. Ran between two oncoming cars on a two lane highway and popped out right in front of me. Never saw it til just before I hit it. Highway bars are bent, windshield is smashed, handlebars are all kinds of jacked up, tank has to be replaced, etc., etc. I went to the hospital with a damn good case of road rash and some bumps and bruises but other than that, I'll live.

If and when I get my baby back, I will continue to be a proud Darksider!
Finlaggan
Finlaggan

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:58 am

Wow sorry to hear about the dang deer. There are a ton of them around here constantly in the road. Hope you heal up well and glad you liked the darkside.
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Diving Into the Darkside 1800R Empty New Ride!

Post  Finlaggan Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:17 am

Picked up a new bike today! 2002 VTX 1800C. 9700 miles, cobra pipes, windshield, engine guard with highway pegs, saddlebags, mustang seat, brand new tires and battery, red. $5500! I am f**cking stoked! Oh, and I paid the insurance company 50 bucks to keep the new GYTT and rear rim from the bike they totaled out, so when this Dunlop craps out in 10000 miles I can slap my GYTT on this one! Whoohoo!
Finlaggan
Finlaggan

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Congrats on your new ride! Glad you are back on the road.
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum