Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vibration / Shake

5 posters

Go down

vibration / Shake Empty vibration / Shake

Post  KC8CTA Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:52 pm

I installed new tires (Mich Primacy Alpin PA ZP and Bridgestone G709) and used Dyna Beads (3 oz in rear and 2 oz in front). I have had the tires on for about 3,000 miles. I noticed today when I was on the freeway doing around 80 I am getting a vibration / shake. I can not tell where it is coming from but I can feel it in the handle bars and in the seat. I also noticed today that above 80 the bike has alot of side to side play in it. Almost like the rear is not tracking with the front. i am running 30 psi in the rear and 38 in the front. I have played with the pressures and this is where it seems to profom the best. Did I put in the correct ammount of Dyna Beads? Is this normal when running a car tire? Any suggestion on what I can check?

Thanks,
Andy
KC8CTA
KC8CTA

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-02-24

Back to top Go down

vibration / Shake Empty Re: vibration / Shake

Post  robw Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:01 pm

You have the right amount of beads. Although I haven't run the Michelin I've never had any vibes or tracking problems with my Kuhmo or Continental and the BT45 up front. I've routinely had it up to 80 on the freeway and sometimes over 100 for a few miles.
The only thing that comes to mind is when you installed the front tire did you do all the steps in order, to include bouncing the front forks? Also when you installed the beads you are supposed to remove the wheel weights that were on the rims.
Hopefully someone else will chime in. You can also go to GL1800riders.com and check out their Darkside forum. It is pretty active and there are some real knowlegeable folks there. The moderator asks you keep car tire questions on the Darkside forum as it seems to be a controversial issue.
Good Luck
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  KC8CTA Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:58 am

Yes I did remove the wheel weights. I also did all of the steps including bouncing the forks. I am going to go back through the steps again today just to make sure. I can not tell if my issue is coming from front or rear. I think it is the rear but that could be due to the fact i still and not sure about the CT on a motorcycle. I have also posted this on the other site and someone ther mentioned maybe a bad belt in the tire. I need to get this issue fixed as I am heading to the taqil of the dragon in a few months and do not think it would be safe to ride that far with this issue.
Thanks for you responce to my post.

Andy
KC8CTA
KC8CTA

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:06 pm

My Michelin is glass smooth with Dynabeads up over 100mph,
You didn't say how many miles are on your bike, but I would also look at the swing arm bearings and check the bolt torque.
Good luck...
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  KC8CTA Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:20 pm

I have a 2004 with just over 23,000 miles. I looked in the service manual and it only shows how to check the bearing after the swing arm is removed. Is there any way to check it with out having to remove everything?
KC8CTA
KC8CTA

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Up the pressure in your tires. The G709 up front calls for 41, I run 45. The primacy I set at 32 this winter, It is at 34-35 now that it has warmed up. it tracks perfect. It really sounds to me like your issues are pressure related. You may have adversely affected the front for the long haul. They do seem to be sensitive and unforgiving to pressures.

Good luck

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  KC8CTA Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Set pressures at 41 inrough roads more front and 33 rear. i also lowered the rear shock pressure down to 18. Seems to have corrected the issue. Still rides a little stiff, more then the MC tire did.
KC8CTA
KC8CTA

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Doesn't sound like you need to fear the Dragon, since all the curves are basically around 40 mph if you're any good.
Now, slamming the Cherohala...that would be a different story. Nothing gets my beuttocks scrunched up as much
as the uber fast curves on the boards. You really want everything to be on the beam up there.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down