Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steering Head / Stem Bearings - All Balls Install

+2
vtxreaper
Muntz
6 posters

Go down

Steering Head / Stem Bearings - All Balls Install Empty Steering Head / Stem Bearings - All Balls Install

Post  Muntz Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:44 pm

Heres a couple of links on how to change the 1300 bearings out and put in the 1800 bearings.

http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=38&id=172&artlang=en

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=215072&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rake

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=147665&highlight=steering+bearing+install

http://www.crapmods.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=932&highlight=bearings

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/shucking.html

Smokey, Sorry I didnt see your post sooner. The search function is your friend, at least on OB. Laughing
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Steering Head / Stem Bearings - All Balls Install Empty Re: Steering Head / Stem Bearings - All Balls Install

Post  vtxreaper Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:59 am

Is changeing the bearings on either, 1300, 1800 part of regular maintanence??? And If they are problematic what do you look for?? A flat spot when you turn the front wheel??? Curious minds would like to know!!!
Reaps
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Steering Head / Stem Bearings - All Balls Install Empty Re: Steering Head / Stem Bearings - All Balls Install

Post  twin1300 Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:04 am

vtxreaper wrote:Is changeing the bearings on either, 1300, 1800 part of regular maintanence??? And If they are problematic what do you look for?? A flat spot when you turn the front wheel??? Curious minds would like to know!!!
Reaps

Reap,

The deal with the steering head bearings is this. On the 1300 they are cheaply made and on the light side of being beefy. The 1800's have a tougher cage to hold the bearings. The reason why the change is some guys reported wobbles while riding the bike. Some guys changed them and thus we now know of the cheap bearings. Guys like to have the insurance of heavier duty bearings. I just shut my eyes and ride so I wont think about it....... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing All kidding aside, I haven't noticed any wobbles or loose front end play on my 1300 yet! And NO I haven't changed mine.

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:57 am

Reaps, to add to what Twin said the 1300 comes with cheesy ill fitting ball bearings and the 1800 comes with tapered roller bearings. But all the rest of the guts are the same. So to minimize the wobble the roller bearings give you a better fit stopping the wobble.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:05 pm

Thanks Bobby and Smokey!!! Understand now. Reaps
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:34 pm

When I only had 3,000 miles on my bike, I complained about the fronend, said there is something wrong. To make a long story short. I had them changed out at about 8k, they put the OEM ones back in, that was before this mod was even thought of, the second set lasted about 9 or 10k before I was haveing cornnering issues again, I think it was Coolrunnings from here in OR. and PepsiX did the mod. first, and I heard about it and changed mine out, at about 20k (the 2nd set), they had pits and flat spots in them allready, and now I have over 55k on the bike and I havent touched them. I didnt want to change them every 8 or 10k. and the diff. in the handleing is something elese, you wouldnt beleave it,unless you try it, well worth the time and the $40. I didnt use any special tools, but I did make a driver to drive the lower bearring on. When I went to set the bearrings, I just went by feel. Its so easy, a caveman can do it. Very Happy

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:39 pm

Bumped for Hudi
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:11 pm

thanks everyone, what a great group of people here. drive safely ....hudi

Hudi

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down