Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michelins for my Stratoliner

Go down

Michelins for my Stratoliner Empty Michelins for my Stratoliner

Post  Steve-O Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:48 pm

Michelin Pilot Activ (130/70-18) rear tire, turned around backwards on front at 41 PSI.
Michelin Hydroedge 215/60-17

The front tire looks and acts just like a front tire. Except it lasts twice as long. Bought it on Ebay for $100. Installed for $20.
Rear tire is on the wide side, but fits and went on pretty easy. May go for a 205 next time, but I really like the Michelin. Handles very well. It does make the speedo a bit off. 7% under actual speed. So, if the speedo says 20, I"m going 21. 70, I'm going 75.

Tire was $120 on Ebay. $20 to install. There was plenty of clearence with the screws. No grinding required. Has not bottomed out, even riding two up. I DID have to bend out the right front fender just a tad to increase the clearance a bit. Just to be safe.

With the MC tire, if I hit the rear brake too hard or downshifted to fast, the back end had a habit of wandering. With the CT, I have a rear brake again. The bike tracks nice and straight when I lock up the back tire. Tested up to 30mph so far.

So far, really happy with this combo.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Michelins for my Stratoliner Empty Re: Michelins for my Stratoliner

Post  Steve-O Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:38 am

I have a few thousand miles on this setup now.
I've ridden two up and had the fender bottom out one time. But I don't ride two up much.
Had some clearance issues installing the bag guard. Had to grind off a bit, but it fits nice now.
All in all I'm happy with the setup. I think I'll go with a 205 next time. The wide tire looks great and has LOTS of traction, but It doesn't handle as well as I'd like. Lauren has a 2008 stratoliner with a mc tire, and I can definitely notice the difference between her bike and mine.

No complaints about the front tire. I'll do that again for sure.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down