Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10

+4
BadDog45
wayne
Toasted_311
Muntz
8 posters

Go down

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Empty DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:15 pm

In response to a new member and for guys thinking of going
darkside / wideside ....... I decided to put this together.
I will try to update periodicly.
If I have missed anyone please feel free to add yours.

WHY THE DARKSIDE (click the link below)
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/not-a-stupid-question-t396.htm

DUROMETER - CAR TIRES ARE SOFTER!!!!

twin1300 wrote:Alright guys, here it is. I have been attempting to do this for a while, just never made it a priority!

I got my durometer out and took durometer readings this weekend on my Douglas 205 with over a 1000 + miles on it and compared it to a stock Dunnie with approx. 3500 miles on it. I got the results and will post pics of the test Monday. I also did my Bridgestone S11 Spitfire with 10,000+ on the front of my C also. I also did the rear of a HD Nightster with 1700 miles on it. (Don't forget that front tires are usually made with softer rubber than the rear motorcycles tires.)

For any of the guys who have doubts, I will let the pics do the talking. Wink Cool

Here is a close up of my durometer. Very accurate instrument for testing rubber.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010009

My Douglas 205 car tire with a reading of (50). I got over a 1000 miles on it.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010006

Dunnie tested (71) in the center of the tread wear with 3700 miles on it.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010010

I did the "chicken strips" to see what un-used rubber would read....(72)
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010005

When my brother-n-law got home, went over and tested his HD nightster with 1700 miles on his stock Dunnie and got the lowest reading of (68 )
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010019

Here's my Bridgestone S11 Spitfire and the lowest reading I found of (62) on a motorcycle tire and they are always the front tires...the manufactures put softer rubber on front motorcycle tires because they don't have the acceleration of the motor tearing them up and they will last longer. Helps with handling too.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010015
.........................bobby

Last edited by Muntz on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:59 pm; edited 12 times in total
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Empty Re: DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:17 pm

TWIN'S WIDESIDE MOD - 205 DOUGLAS - 1300C
twin1300 wrote:We now have other options for a Darksiding our stock 1300 and rim. We were limited on our options to the just brands of the 165's.

I installed a 205/65/15 Douglas rain and snow tire. My friend hick gave me the new name for it...."the Wideside".
Here are the new pics.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010141

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010140

I love this shot of the 205...really fills out the fender and whole swing arm area!

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 CopyofP1010144

Here you will see that it misses the swingarm by 3/4".

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010143
..................bobby

MUNTZ - 165 KUHMO - 1300R
twin1300 wrote:
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010178
Stock dunnie and new 165 side by side

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010179
Stock dunnie and new 165 top view

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010180
bab1800n2 showing us how easy to seat a car tire with cooking oil.....Very Happy

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010181
Ebony with a darkside..........she looks good in black!

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P1010182
Comparing a 165 Darkside to a 205 wideside mod...WOW That looks phat!

...................bobby

TOASTED'S - 205 VS 165 - 1300R WITH FOOTS MOD (1800 rear wheel/brake)
Toasted_311 wrote:Ok...the 205/65/16 Michelin HydraEdge is on. The Foots mod was a piece of cake once I got my axle out...guess 13k was a bit too long to leave it in. lol.

Both wheels side by side
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 FootsModDarkside006

The old 165r15 on the bike
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 FootsModDarkside009

The new and improved 205/65/16 Michelin HydraEdge Foots Mod
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 FootsModDarkside008

Nice shiny 1800C wheel, rotor and black caliper...what to do with the front caliper?!?
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 FootsModDarkside011

I only got about 300 miles on it now, but I will say that over the 165r15 I seem to have a better lower end...bike just goes.

Also it seems to handle even better than the 165 to me...might be because the 165 was getting old or the wider tire itself. It dives into the corners even harder than the 165 did.

And the ride is even smoother over rough roads and railroad tracks.

Only down fall I've found..it's much much harder to break loose.
Toasted_311 wrote:Here's my 205 next to the 165...although I did do the full Foots mod...so it's a 205/65/16 next to the 165r15. But it's a good side by side, although it looks like Twin has a bit more clearance on the driveshaft side than I do.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 FootsModDarkside006Small

Last edited by Muntz on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Empty Re: DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:18 pm

GSTANFIELD - 205 GRABBER
gstanfield wrote:The tire is supposed to be here Tuesday..........coming from LouIsiana...........It is a.............General............Grabber UHP

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Ge_grabber_uhp_ci1_l

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Ge_grabber_uhp_ci2_l

So now you know.

George
gstanfield wrote:It fit the bike, so don't worry.

Now for the comparison shots we've all been waiting on Smile

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Vtx_wi10

and one more for fun.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Vtx_wi11

Now are you happy Wink

George
gstanfield wrote:More pictures, this time mounted.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Vtx_wi12

And some clearance shots here. The distance between the red lines is the clearance and it's about 1/4-3/8" or so. PLenty of room.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Vtx_wi13

And clearance on top of the tire.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Vtx_wi14

Well, the weather has actually cooperated pretty decent as it's been above freezing for several hours now and direct sunlight has melted the roads. I can now go and see how it handles on wet, dry and snow all on the same ride cheers

I'll be back in a bit with my ride report. BTW, I'll start a new thread with my report, don't want to turn this one into a mega thread and get it closed down lol!

George

BRCSKB4 - 205 DOUGLAS - 1300R
BRCSKB4 wrote:I just installed one, Same tire as Twin put on His C I think. I used cooking grease instead of the oil, I (didn't have the oil) but the outcome was the same, popped on about 75 psi. it fills up the fender too. rode about 100 miles so far and it rides good and handles good, it's a little different than the MC tire but it tracks really well. Happy so far.
Will post pics when i figure out how.[img]DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 100_0117[/img]

HUDI - 205 DOUGLAS
Hudi wrote:Pics of 205 douglas[img]DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 HPNX0376[/img][img]DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 HPNX0368[/img]

Last edited by Muntz on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:22 pm

WILDC - 205 GENERAL AMERI TE - R MODEL
willdc wrote:This is a General Ameri TE from sears. They are on clearance, I guess sears is getting rid of the line.
Anyway, got it cheap $39 so I couldn't pass it up. So far it rides great. I will have to spend more time on it to tell if there are any problems, but none so far.

This is the tire next to the Dunlop original.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 6438DSC04240-med

On the bike, looks good.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 6438DSC04241-med

This is the only shot that shows any of the tire, there is just too much in the way from any other angle.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 6438DSC04243-med

B ROCK - (SUZUKI) 195 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA
B rock (RB rock) wrote:
DocRawk wrote:You know of any unidirectional tires that will work?

You may want to check this out, Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position Ultra High Performance All Season. This is a 195/65-15 on my Suzuki.
It has minimal DS traits like tracing grooves etc. I run 30PSI. Check the specs stiffer sidewalls also.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 DSC00271

Last edited by Muntz on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:23 pm

Doc RAWK - 205 GRABBER - 1300C
DocRawk wrote:Side by side of the Grabber and the OEM Dunnie:
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Tirejpg

JEDISHON - 205 DOUGLAS - 1300R
jedishon wrote:Okay okay..........picked this up on the way home tonight
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Tirelm8

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Tirewidthwx2

as you can see it is between 4-1/2 and 4-3/4 outside to outside sealing surface......
Ordered the Dynabeads from Gary.
Next time it gets up near freezing I might pull the tire off the bike.
Jerry

CONCHO - 165 NEXEN SB-802 - 1300S & SIDECAR
concho wrote:Went Darkside today and didn't notice any difference in
handling or ride, however with a sidecar, I really didn't
expect a whole lot of difference. 165/80R15 is as scarce
as Hobby Horse Road Apples on the net. Every where I
looked they were out of stock and back ordered. I finally
found mine locally. I've started with 45 psi and at this time
I don't see any reason to change it.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Publish7

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 1velorex

BIG_D74 - 205 FAULKEN - 1300C
bigd_74 wrote:Did a little "window shopping" today & came up with some good info.

First off, nobody I went to had the Yokohama Avid H4S in stock. Evil or Very Mad

I did find a Falken ZE512 205/65/15 94V that had a really good directional tread pattern too. It was very similar to the Yoko.

The ZE512 measures 4 3/4" from bead to bead with an overall width of 7 1/2". The max PSI on the tire is 51psi & it has a single poly sidewall. Runs about $80 at Discount Tire & they stock them.

I didn't find any other directional tires in stock that I could measure at the other dealers I went to.

Here's a shot of the tread pattern on the Falken:

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 6497Falken_ZE512

I think in the next couple of months I will pick up one of these Falkens & give it a shot. 4 3/4" shouldn't be too bad to get this baby beaded up.

I'd like to find a separate 1300c rear rim so if anyone sees a C.R.A.P.py deal on one please let me know. Cool

Dave~
bigd_74 wrote:Thanks Bobby! I'll check out Gary in Indiana. Haven't picked up the tire yet, but I'm gonna get the Falken ZE-512 205/65/15 - pic of the tread below. The tire is $80 + tax so I will probably work on getting the wheel off & than pick up the tire.

I'll keep you all posted. Cool

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 6497Falken_ZE512

Dave~
bigd_74 wrote:She's on!!! Pics too!

165 mounted on the rim / 205 free
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_001

Another side-by-side
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_002

Resting Width from bead-to-bead - right around 4 1/2" - 4 3/4"
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_003

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_004

205 mounted on the wheel / 165 free
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_005

Back on the scoot - Sorry for the piss-poor lighting. I will get some better pictures during the day.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_006

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_007

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_008

Mounting at CycleGear in Tacoma took some soap and about 110 psi to get the tire to bead completely. Glad I wasn't in the room. Shocked I am running about 44psi & the max on the tire is 51. I'll keep it around 44 for now & may experiment a little up & down to see what rides best. No clearance issues at all so far. I have about 3/8-1/2" clearance between the side-wall & the drive shaft.

I took the bike out for a quick test-ride. She's really smooth - smoother than the 165, IMO. Corners feel very similar to the 165 - maybe just a tad more to get into them, but not much. The rear-end feels heavier, but that could all be in my mind. After 50-100 miles it will all feel normal anyway. Laughing

I like the way the tire fills out the fender - nice look for $88, compared to a Foots mod & a 200 Metz, I recon I saved somewhere around $400-600 dollars give or take. Twisted Evil

Thanks Bobby for leading the way! Those of you who don't have these Falken ZE-512's around & really want one, I could pick them up & ship to you if you want. Tire runs about $88 after tax & I don't know what shipping would be on it. I'd have to check the weight if you were interested. Just let me know. You may get a better deal from Tirerack.com.

Dave~
bigd_74 wrote:Thanks for the comments, guys! I am hoping to get out and ride a little more today - I wanna go out & find some windy country roads. Supposed to be a so-so weekend but next week looks very promising for some good weather.

Bobby - do you think I can get a new nick-name around here? I've been back for quite a while now. Laughing I think I'm the only C.R.A.P. member running a darkside, so maybe "C.R.A.P.py Darksider" er sumthin like that. Laughing Or using my handle, "Bigger is better" or "BigDarkside widestyle". What do you think?

New pics:

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_009

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_010

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Darkside205_011

Dave~

VTXRON - 205 HANKOOK OPTIMO - 1300
VTXRon wrote:This is what the 205x65x15 looks like on my VTX1300
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 IMG_1115
VTXRon wrote:I got me a new wideside too Very Happy Went to the local Pepboys got a Hankook Optimo 205/65/15. Tire was $74.99 - but it helps to have an almost son in law that works there so it was only $67.50. I rode single - love it - felt like riding in my recliner Very Happy Very Happy - then did 2 up on the tire - the Mrs. said it was very comfy and did not feel "squirrely" like the motorcycle tire did. We are keeping the 165R15 still because it is not even a year old and our first Darkside - (No I did not frame it Laughing ). Anyway - will get some ride time on it this weekend in Daytona. Am going to attempt to post pics shortly.

Thanks Twin for leading the way on yet another great mod.

Ron

Last edited by Muntz on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:13 pm; edited 6 times in total
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:27 pm

DARKSIDE SHADOW - 205 DOUGLAS - VT1100 SHADOW
DarkSide-Shadow wrote:Bobby, does it look familiar?

I haven't mounted it yet of course, but I dont' see any reason as of yet that it won't fit. All measurements work out great. It is a Douglas 205/65/15 Xtra-Trac A/W. My wallyworld had several of them. I was taking tires down and measuring them in the isle way all morning. Took me about 45 min. to decide on the Douglas after checking on alot of other. the size and sidewall just make sense!! I've put together some pictures and a video/movie showing how pliable the sideway is on this tire, compared to the high performance tires with STIFF sidewalls. Oh yea! only $55.00 out the door!

My New Douglas 205/65r15

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 205-65-r15-006
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 205-65-r15-005
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 205-65-r15-001
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 205-65-r15-002
Whatta ya Think???

When will I mount it? Not sure... I'm sure real soon. If all goes well I will have a kumho 165 with less than 1,000 miles on it available to give away. Steve-0, it a great tire to start on, do you want it? It's yours if you do!! Free of charge and I'll even put it on for you. This is of course that the new tire fits and all. But if you'd rather go straight to the 205 then that is fine as well. We can go to my local Wallyworld and get you one.

Tim, Looking Good So Far. Hey it was good chatting with you this moring! I'll go get a pic of my windshield for you too!

David W.

STEVE-O - 165 KUHMO - SHADOW VT1100
Steve-O wrote:Dark Side Tire Mod

These are the general instructions on how to replace a motorcycle tire with a car tire on a Honda VT1100C14 (2004 Honda Spirit 1100). I'll go through the step by step. Later on in this thread I can add some color and detail to the story.

Note that we tried to install a Faulken 205/65/15 and it the bead would never seat. You will see in the photos we started off with a wide tire, and the tire in the final photo is different. We ended up installing a Kumono 165/65/15. Total time to install is 1.5-3 hours depending on how skilled you are and how easily the tire goes on and "beads on".

Steps:

First measure the tire. We think the max width is 205. Inside diameter is 15. And the middle number will govern the tire sidewall height. 65 works, but others might also. This number affects tire diameter and will affect speedometer readings.

Inner measurement should be close to 5.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 01.MeasureCTInside.jpg

Outside width needs to be less than 8.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 02.MeasureCTOutside.jpg

Here is the stock motorcycle tire inside measurement.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 03.MeasureMCInside.jpg

Here is the stock MC tire outside width.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 04.MeasureMCOutside.jpg

Here are the two tires side by side. Once you think the dimensions are acceptable, it's time to replace the tire.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 05.SideBySide.jpg

Tire next to bike.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 06.CTNexttoBike.jpg

Prepare the bike to be jacked up. Tie it down good. We locked the front tire and put it in gear. Use as many straps as you need. YOu don't want to drop the bike.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 07.PreptoJack.jpg

Here is the bick all jacked up. Removing the tire is fairly straight forward. We kept all the parts in one small bucket.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 08.AllJackedUp.jpg

Need to put the tire on a tire changing rack and remove the old tire. Here is where the second person comes in really handy.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 09.RemovingOldTire.jpg

We replaced the valve stems with metal ones. Make sure they are not too tall. You can get these at Autozone. When the tire is off, clean the rim really good. Steel wool comes in handy to get it smooth.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 10.ReplaceStem.jpg

Putting the CT on the rim is probably the hardest part physically. Here is the tire on the rim.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 11.CTon.jpg

Do a quick fit check to be sure it won't rub anywhere.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 12.QuickFitCheck.jpg

Apply veggie oil liberally around the rim, inside, but not too much.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 13.VeggieOil.jpg

Be set the tire on a bucket to air it up. This prevents scratching the rim.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 14.TireStand.jpg

Inflate the tire. wE had to add a board to keep the connection. You inflate to up to 120 psi. So you need to stand way back. Wait for two pops before checking the tire. The tire has to seat on both sides. The Faulken never did seat, so we put the 165 on and it seated at ~90 psi. Immediately reduce tire pressure to normal level, ~40psi.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 15.TireInflation.jpg

Degrease the tire. Clean the brake well also.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 16.Cleanup.jpg

Here is how we balanced the tire. Put the axle back in. Let it rest on a pair of paint cans, they should be level across. Slowly spin the tire. The "heavy" spot should be at the bottom. Mark this spot. Repeat to be sure the heavy spot (marked) comes back here. Apply one once of stick on lead to the rim opposite of the heavy spot mark. Spin (slowly) again. Add/remove weight till the tire does not come to rest at the same spot.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 17.BalancingtheTire.jpg

Install the tire back on the bike. Remember to lightly grease the axle and any other parts that need it. Properly torque all nuts. Adjust the rear breaks.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 18.Installed.jpg

Once on, adjust the tire pressure and test drive. Rear brake may squeak a bit at first. Take it on a short spin, return and make sure the pressure holds. Take it out for a test spin!
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:59 pm

VTXJOSH - 195 NEXXEN 2000 - 1800R
vtxjosh wrote:I just installed my new Thunder Hurricane Intake, and I like it! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 IMG_0347-1-1
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 IMG_0349

VTXREAPER - 205 TOYO PROXES TPT - 1800R
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 47b8dc33b3127cce98548a563df40000002
vtxreaper wrote:Welcome Capac Kid, I went to the Darkside just this week. My observations are all's good, rides a little different but not even a challenge. After the first five minutes I was pushing it like a bike tire. Turned just fine a drop more lean and a drop more counter steer, but not enough to even think about not doing it all over again!! You will pay well under $100 for most good car tires, and ya gonna get 30,000 miles out of it. That's like saving four M.C. tire changes!!! M.C. tires at $200 a pop, major savings... Hope ya make the switch, no big deal... If ya don,t like it You can always switch back... By the way I bought my tire used on E-Bay for $39, Toyo Proxes Tpt 205/65/16. Low investment to check it out. It had 80 to 90 % of the full tread!!! REAPS

MIKESVTX - 205 TRIPLE TREAD - 1800 CTRO & TRAILER
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 3063my_ride_00211

VTX 1800 TIRES
twin1300 wrote:I got this off the OB by "Duc" from Kingsland, TX. I asked him if I could post it over here because it has such good data. He said sure...any thing to help!

These are the brands, sizes that fit, how many so far that run them, and their air pressures.

1) BFG G-Force Sport 205/55/ZR16 (42PSI)

BFG T/A Sport 205/55/16

2) Bridgestone Potenza G009 205/60/16 (40-43&41PSI)

Continental Extreme Contact 205/55/16

Dunlop FM901 205/55/R16

Dunlop SP 901 205/55/16

1) Falken 205/60/16 H Rated (41PSI)

Falken 205/55/16 Z Rated

1) Falken ZE-512 Ziex 205/55/R16 (43PSI)

1) Falken ZE-512 Ziex 205/60/R16 (49-51PSI)

Firestone Affinity 205/60/16

Firestone Fusion 205/55/R16 Z Rated

General Exclaim UHP 205/55/16

1) Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 195/55/16 (42PSI)

2) Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 205/55/16H (40PSI,44PSI)

Cool Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 205/60/16H (40PSI,44PSI)

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 205/55/16

Hankook Ventus Sport K104 205/ZR55/16

1) Hankook Radial K106 205/55/R16 (42PSI)

Kumho Solus 205/55/R16

Kumho 205/60/16

1) Kuhmo 205-65-16KH (38PSI)

1) Mastercraft Avenger ZHP 205/55/ZR16 (47PSI)

Maxxis 205/55/16

3) Michelin Hydroedge 205/65/16 (37PSI,43PSI,44PSI)

2) Riken Raptor 205/55/ZR16 (49PSI)

Toyo 195/65/16 V Rayed

Toyo Proxes 205/60/16 V rated

3) Toyo Proxies 215/45/18 (50PSI) 1800F

Toyo 205/55R16 T1-R

1) Yokohama Advan A048 205-55-16 (50PSI)

Yokohama AVID V4S 205/60R16

Yokohama AVS ES100 205/50/16

Yokohama 205/50/16H

Yokohama 205/60/16 H Rated

Last edited by Muntz on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:14 pm

WHITE DEVIL - 195 TOYO PROXES 4 - GOLDWING
White Devil wrote:Yes Bobby....I'm Here....Woooo Hooooo

Here is my 195/55/16 Toyo Proxes 4

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 CarTire2

Also a pic of me riding the white sands of Florida's coast line.....or it's a snow pic of when I went to the Dragon. ahhhhh........You make up your mind.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 717929-R1-18-19_019
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:23 pm

WRONGWAY - 205 BFGOODRICH ZR17 - SPORTBIKE/DRAGBIKE - SICK!!!
wrongway wrote:I am new to the darkside and I arrived here on a different road than most of you. I hope that doesn't make me an outcast immediately. I ride a zx14 and have traction problems with almost any motorcycle tire so I thought I would try going over to the darkside. I just finished mounting the tire up and I am ready for a test ...
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 2267724web-tire

this is a bfgoodrich 205/45 ZR17 on a 6" rim. It weighs 10 lbs more than the motorcycle tire and may not be the best choice of tires.I welcome any info on lighter tires or tires with better performance.

CARIBCRUISER - DOUBLE DARKSIDER Cool
CaribCruiser wrote:
the Double Darksider.
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 7452DS_Vi_4
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 7452DSC01930

EastTnMike - 225 FAULKEN ZIEX 512 - BOSS HOSS
EastTnMike wrote:DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 2292FalkenRightRearsmaller
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 2292TenaBossHoss001
I am definately a Darksider...I run a 225/60/15 Falken Ziex 512 on my Boss Hoss, and LOVE it!
Nice to meet all of you fellow Darksiders!
Mike

SMOKIN'JOEVRCCDS#0005 - 205 COOPER ZEON 2XS - VALKYRIE

Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 wrote:I run a Cooper Zeon 2XS ... 205/55/16 ...I get around 10,400 to 11,000 miles out of them . When I had the Avon rear I would get 5,500 to 6,000 miles . The Cooper Zeon 2XS RULES in my book . I can drag the frame if I want to with it.DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Rear1

Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 wrote:I bought this totaled bike from a friend who crashed it on The Blue Ridge Parkway. All the tins was replaced , handle bars , gauges etc. She's ready to roll now and as soon as I wear out the Avon she will go DarkSide.DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Paint045
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 wrote:DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 SaltRide2011Small

Last edited by Muntz on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Nice job Muntz...might want to change the heading on mine to 1800 rear wheel/brake instead of 1800 rear end Wink

Real nice job sir. Very Happy
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:53 pm

Toasted_311 wrote:Nice job Muntz...might want to change the heading on mine to 1800 rear wheel/brake instead of 1800 rear end Wink

Real nice job sir. Very Happy

Thanks & Done! Wink
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:29 pm

Heres another tire: 205-65-15 Its not as wide, its about 7 inDS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 100_0121DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 205-6515

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Tue May 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Bump for Tin Can Terminator
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Empty Falken Ziex - 512 195/65 - 15 2005 Suzuki C90

Post  BadDog45 Fri May 23, 2008 8:33 pm

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 P4290211
I think the Falken Ziex-512 is a good choice, as do several others. I seem to have eliminated about all the tracking problems by adjusting air pressure, ending up at 34 lbs. At 37 lbs it was VERY noticeable, but 3 lbs made a world of difference. Guess next step is to get it filled with nitrogen, so I won't have to check it so often... Idea
I see B Rock made it here..."Good to see you made it here also" Another experienced "DarK side" rider. Any of you guys with a question, He can probably answer it...

BadDog45

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Empty nexen cp641 215

Post  horseman8m Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:01 pm

I put on a Nexen 215/65R15 on a stock rim BUT i had to mod the swingarm ,

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 KP5310002

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 KP5310008

see my wrightup at,,, https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/horseman-swingarm-mod-t1153.htm

have fun , ride safe , Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Grizak, Strata Zeno Plus 205/65R-15 1300s

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 1kwideside
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Blade Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:27 am

Muntz wrote:VTXJOSH - 195 NEXXEN 2000 - 1800R
vtxjosh wrote:I just installed my new Thunder Hurricane Intake, and I like it! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 IMG_0347-1-1
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 IMG_0349

VTXREAPER - 205 TOYO PROXES TPT - 1800R
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 47b8dc33b3127cce98548a563df40000002
vtxreaper wrote:Welcome Capac Kid, I went to the Darkside just this week. My observations are all's good, rides a little different but not even a challenge. After the first five minutes I was pushing it like a bike tire. Turned just fine a drop more lean and a drop more counter steer, but not enough to even think about not doing it all over again!! You will pay well under $100 for most good car tires, and ya gonna get 30,000 miles out of it. That's like saving four M.C. tire changes!!! M.C. tires at $200 a pop, major savings... Hope ya make the switch, no big deal... If ya don,t like it You can always switch back... By the way I bought my tire used on E-Bay for $39, Toyo Proxes Tpt 205/65/16. Low investment to check it out. It had 80 to 90 % of the full tread!!! REAPS

MIKESVTX - 205 TRIPLE TREAD - 1800 CTRO & TRAILER
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 3063my_ride_00211

VTX 1800 TIRES
twin1300 wrote:I got this off the OB by "Duc" from Kingsland, TX. I asked him if I could post it over here because it has such good data. He said sure...any thing to help!

These are the brands, sizes that fit, how many so far that run them, and their air pressures.

1) BFG G-Force Sport 205/55/ZR16 (42PSI)

BFG T/A Sport 205/55/16

2) Bridgestone Potenza G009 205/60/16 (40-43&41PSI)

Continental Extreme Contact 205/55/16

Dunlop FM901 205/55/R16

Dunlop SP 901 205/55/16

1) Falken 205/60/16 H Rated (41PSI)

Falken 205/55/16 Z Rated

1) Falken ZE-512 Ziex 205/55/R16 (43PSI)

1) Falken ZE-512 Ziex 205/60/R16 (49-51PSI)

Firestone Affinity 205/60/16

Firestone Fusion 205/55/R16 Z Rated

General Exclaim UHP 205/55/16

1) Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 195/55/16 (42PSI)

2) Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 205/55/16H (40PSI,44PSI)

Cool Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 205/60/16H (40PSI,44PSI)

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 205/55/16

Hankook Ventus Sport K104 205/ZR55/16

1) Hankook Radial K106 205/55/R16 (42PSI)

Kumho Solus 205/55/R16

Kumho 205/60/16

1) Kuhmo 205-65-16KH (38PSI)

1) Mastercraft Avenger ZHP 205/55/ZR16 (47PSI)

Maxxis 205/55/16

3) Michelin Hydroedge 205/65/16 (37PSI,43PSI,44PSI)

2) Riken Raptor 205/55/ZR16 (49PSI)

Toyo 195/65/16 V Rayed

Toyo Proxes 205/60/16 V rated

3) Toyo Proxies 215/45/18 (50PSI) 1800F

Toyo 205/55R16 T1-R

1) Yokohama Advan A048 205-55-16 (50PSI)

Yokohama AVID V4S 205/60R16

Yokohama AVS ES100 205/50/16

Yokohama 205/50/16H

Yokohama 205/60/16 H Rated

Blade
Blade

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-06-09

http://www.bvrsales.com

Back to top Go down

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 Empty Dark Side Shadow

Post  Blade Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:58 am

Muntz wrote:DARKSIDE SHADOW - 205 DOUGLAS - VT1100 SHADOW
DarkSide-Shadow wrote:Bobby, does it look familiar?

I haven't mounted it yet of course, but I dont' see any reason as of yet that it won't fit. All measurements work out great. It is a Douglas 205/65/15 Xtra-Trac A/W. My wallyworld had several of them. I was taking tires down and measuring them in the isle way all morning. Took me about 45 min. to decide on the Douglas after checking on alot of other. the size and sidewall just make sense!! I've put together some pictures and a video/movie showing how pliable the sideway is on this tire, compared to the high performance tires with STIFF sidewalls. Oh yea! only $55.00 out the door!

My New Douglas 205/65r15

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 205-65-r15-006
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 205-65-r15-005
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 205-65-r15-001
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 205-65-r15-002
Whatta ya Think???

When will I mount it? Not sure... I'm sure real soon. If all goes well I will have a kumho 165 with less than 1,000 miles on it available to give away. Steve-0, it a great tire to start on, do you want it? It's yours if you do!! Free of charge and I'll even put it on for you. This is of course that the new tire fits and all. But if you'd rather go straight to the 205 then that is fine as well. We can go to my local Wallyworld and get you one.

Tim, Looking Good So Far. Hey it was good chatting with you this moring! I'll go get a pic of my windshield for you too!

David W.

STEVE-O - 165 KUHMO - SHADOW VT1100
Steve-O wrote:Dark Side Tire Mod

These are the general instructions on how to replace a motorcycle tire with a car tire on a Honda VT1100C14 (2004 Honda Spirit 1100). I'll go through the step by step. Later on in this thread I can add some color and detail to the story.

Note that we tried to install a Faulken 205/65/15 and it the bead would never seat. You will see in the photos we started off with a wide tire, and the tire in the final photo is different. We ended up installing a Kumono 165/65/15. Total time to install is 1.5-3 hours depending on how skilled you are and how easily the tire goes on and "beads on".

Steps:

First measure the tire. We think the max width is 205. Inside diameter is 15. And the middle number will govern the tire sidewall height. 65 works, but others might also. This number affects tire diameter and will affect speedometer readings.

Inner measurement should be close to 5.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 01.MeasureCTInside.jpg

Outside width needs to be less than 8.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 02.MeasureCTOutside.jpg

Here is the stock motorcycle tire inside measurement.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 03.MeasureMCInside.jpg

Here is the stock MC tire outside width.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 04.MeasureMCOutside.jpg

Here are the two tires side by side. Once you think the dimensions are acceptable, it's time to replace the tire.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 05.SideBySide.jpg

Tire next to bike.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 06.CTNexttoBike.jpg

Prepare the bike to be jacked up. Tie it down good. We locked the front tire and put it in gear. Use as many straps as you need. YOu don't want to drop the bike.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 07.PreptoJack.jpg

Here is the bick all jacked up. Removing the tire is fairly straight forward. We kept all the parts in one small bucket.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 08.AllJackedUp.jpg

Need to put the tire on a tire changing rack and remove the old tire. Here is where the second person comes in really handy.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 09.RemovingOldTire.jpg

We replaced the valve stems with metal ones. Make sure they are not too tall. You can get these at Autozone. When the tire is off, clean the rim really good. Steel wool comes in handy to get it smooth.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 10.ReplaceStem.jpg

Putting the CT on the rim is probably the hardest part physically. Here is the tire on the rim.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 11.CTon.jpg

Do a quick fit check to be sure it won't rub anywhere.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 12.QuickFitCheck.jpg

Apply veggie oil liberally around the rim, inside, but not too much.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 13.VeggieOil.jpg

Be set the tire on a bucket to air it up. This prevents scratching the rim.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 14.TireStand.jpg

Inflate the tire. wE had to add a board to keep the connection. You inflate to up to 120 psi. So you need to stand way back. Wait for two pops before checking the tire. The tire has to seat on both sides. The Faulken never did seat, so we put the 165 on and it seated at ~90 psi. Immediately reduce tire pressure to normal level, ~40psi.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 15.TireInflation.jpg

Degrease the tire. Clean the brake well also.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 16.Cleanup.jpg

Here is how we balanced the tire. Put the axle back in. Let it rest on a pair of paint cans, they should be level across. Slowly spin the tire. The "heavy" spot should be at the bottom. Mark this spot. Repeat to be sure the heavy spot (marked) comes back here. Apply one once of stick on lead to the rim opposite of the heavy spot mark. Spin (slowly) again. Add/remove weight till the tire does not come to rest at the same spot.

[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/Steve-O/MC_DarkSide_Tire/17.BalancingtheTire.jpg.JPG[/img

well I could tell by the tools who is mounting this tire he a Great Guy to help out when his friends need him Dark Side Shadow
David your the best for helping out ,tire is doing great ,thanks again !!!!

Install the tire back on the bike. Remember to lightly grease the axle and any other parts that need it. Properly torque all nuts. Adjust the rear breaks.

DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 18.Installed.jpg

Once on, adjust the tire pressure and test drive. Rear brake may squeak a bit at first. Take it on a short spin, return and make sure the pressure holds. Take it out for a test spin!
Blade
Blade

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-06-09

http://www.bvrsales.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 am

TTT bounce
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  12volts Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:43 am

Darkside 2003 Meanstreak w/BF Goodrich G-Force Sport 205/50/17
DS & WS TREAD BY BIKE MODEL Pics & Comments - Mar10 SANY0304
12volts
12volts

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down