Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2006 Ultra first ride

3 posters

Go down

2006 Ultra first ride Empty 2006 Ultra first ride

Post  a.machoward Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Just mounted up a Goodyear 175/60/16. The 195-55-16 was a bit too wide and scuffed the belt guard and the inside lip of the fender. I started at 40 psi and it felt stiff so I dropped to 34. On the highway it felt fine right up to 75mph. At 75 the whole back end turned to jello and I thought I was going down. Have run it back up to 40 and will try it again tomorrow night.

Anyone have some insight? I can not accept this type of ride so I sure hope I can figure out the issue.

This is my first darkside ride so any thoughts would be great.

Thanks
Mac

a.machoward

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

2006 Ultra first ride Empty Re: 2006 Ultra first ride

Post  nightowl Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:04 pm

I just mounted the Austone taxi tire to my 06 Heritage... I am running 38 psi amd it feel great at all speeds up to 100 mph if that helps you amy...
nightowl
nightowl

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I suggest that 34 is your wallow pressure, but usually you find wallowing in the sweepers. Then you go up in pressures (2 lbs. per) until you find it tracking. The pressure between the two is your sweet spot. I don't understand why your ride would wallow at speed...unless...the low pressure had you riding on the outsides, and then at speed, centrifugal force bellied out the tire, changing the contact patch. That is also a problem, because you DON'T want anything 'changing' while riding.

We've had more 'CHANGE' than we can stand already...
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum