Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being objective - Any reported problems with CTs?

+8
vtxreaper
nodakbassmaster
smokey2255
DS-Wing-Nut
Toasted_311
jedishon
twin1300
Steve-O
12 posters

Go down

Being objective - Any reported problems with CTs? Empty Being objective - Any reported problems with CTs?

Post  Steve-O Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:18 am

Has anyone reported any problems with CTs?

Besides the greasing up the rear end that can be prevented by doing this every 15k miles
and
Not getting the tire bead to seat? (high pressure required to seat the bead).
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Being objective - Any reported problems with CTs? Empty Re: Being objective - Any reported problems with CTs?

Post  twin1300 Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:28 am

So far............that's it.

Oh well, you did forget that people who run car tires spontaneous combust into flames. But that's nothing to worry about.................. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Being objective - Any reported problems with CTs? Empty Re: Being objective - Any reported problems with CTs?

Post  jedishon Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:36 pm

twin1300 wrote:So far............that's it.

Oh well, you did forget that people who run car tires spontaneous combust into flames. But that's nothing to worry about.................. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It is hard to give an objective report after you die a horrible death because you were crazy enough to put a ct on a bike........... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:35 pm

jedishon wrote:
twin1300 wrote:So far............that's it.

It is hard to give an objective report after you die a horrible death because you were crazy enough to put a ct on a bike........... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jerry

What do they say, Jerry.......Dead me tell no tails............ Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:20 pm

Nope...none here...but see the post I just made on the front page about a blow out. Wink
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:10 pm

Steve?, for you to ask this question, I wonder if you're having or had a bad experience???? Curious minds want to know...

I LOVE my Douglas 205... it was a great day to ride to work today.... 62 degree and then tomorrow night it might snow?? Weird Texas weather for ya!
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 pm

No bad experiences. Just wanted to see if anyone had anything bad to say about CTs. just curious mainly.

We spoke about this Saturday. The guys who HAVE NOT ridden on a CT have all kinds of opinions. I'm looking for guys that HAVE CTs and if they have anything -= not necessarily bad, but maybe a critique or criticism about the tire.

I have nothing but good things to say right now. I DO know that I have a different back tire on my bike. But, so far, I like the ride much better.

Long winded way of saying, I just wanted to see if there were any negatives anyone had about CTs.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:23 pm

The only thing that would even come close to a negative for the ct for me is the extra feedback you get from the tire ie. feeling the ridges in the road, riding on a crown. It took a little getting used to especially at slower speeds on country roads. But to be honest that extra feed back has taught me to look at and read the roads better. That being said..... I am not sure I would call it a negative thing but just a different thing and if it were a negative , all the positives way far out weigh that one difference.

just my opinion, and it's the oly one that matters.

See you out there (on a car tire)
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:26 am

nope... nothing negative, just a couple differences... like mentioned above but maybe a little more pronounced since mines low profile... Very Happy
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:36 am

Had mine on two weeks now.... Different but no negitives. I have been pushing it really hard, scraping floorboards constantly, throwing the bike into hard high speed sweeping turns to really get a feel for it. Sticks like glue, 100% feel more planted on it than the MC tire I used before. They were mMetzler 180's, a great tire sure but the car tire is greater. And boy does that 205 fill up the wheel well nice... Ride Safe, Remember you can always switch back to a MC tire if ya don't like it, although I have never heard of that happening....CLIFF
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:07 am

I would like to add to my above post that after 10,000 miles on my khumo 165 I did the foots mod and installed the mc tire that was on the 1800 wheel I installed it. I only put about 400 miles on that mc tire and let me tell ya it scared the hell out of me. Slipping and sliding. I started to just ride my bike like I always do but that mc tire does not stick (wet or dry) like that ole khumo did. This cat is a drksider for life. I have seen the light and tried to go back to it but..... I will take the dark way thank you.

See you out there
SMokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:13 am

Yesterday I was an idiot, and didn't watch the weather. I went to work in gorgeous conditions and rode home in sleet. Very cold, very wet, and very slick. On the old MC tire, I would do okay as long as I didn't turn, or go through any standing water. Last night, I did both those without any trouble. The tire stuck just like it was warm and dry. I love this Kuhmo!!!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppawolf Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:41 am

I will admit to a negative with the Car Tire. After running with it the weak rear suspension of the bike became more noticeable. Because of the extra bite of the tire I found my rear shock bushings were shot. Going around a corner it felt as if the back end was slipping. Changed out the bushings and it is fine. Never noticed it with over 10k miles on the Dunny.

DB
Poppawolf
Poppawolf

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:16 am

I noticed the crown thing. Any tar snakes are felt - but not wobble and wondering when going over them like with the MT. Which is a difference, but not a negative.

Also notices a spongyness over the MT. Sometimes I have to look down there to make sure it's not flat. Thinking about tightening up the shocks one turn to see if it gives me a firmer ride. But I intend on installing progressive shocks next year, and this may fix it.

Good feedback guys. Also liked the blowout post. What I got out of this was that on a CT, I can limp home on a completely flat tire....for a few miles anyway...without fear of breaking the bead. I know FIRSTHAND how difficult this bead is to set, much less break! Very Happy
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Being objective - Any reported problems with CTs? Empty downside

Post  Tommy Kelly Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:24 am

The only downside I have encountered is that you will miss all the thrill of riding on a new tire every 7 to 10 thousand miles like you get with bike tires. I replaced my first car tire at 10100 miles because I thought it was ruined from running 70 miles low or flat. I thought there was no way the sidewalls would be any good so I got a new tire before I even took the tire off. Now keep in mind I have a bike tire sitting in the carport with 2000 miles that I wouldn't concider putting back on. After 10100 miles my first car tire had about 75% of the tread left. I would bet it would have made 30000 miles easily If I had not run it flat that far. When I dismounted it I couldn't believe the insides looked fine. I put it on a trailer to see if it was damaged. I will just feel better with the new tire on the bike we go on long trips on the bike and two up going 75 down the interstate is no place for a tire failure espically in another state and 5 to 700 miles from home.

Tommy Kelly

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:56 am

The "ONLY" issue I've ever had with a CT would be on old run down roads with deep ruts in them. The rut were caused by 18 wheelers driving on them. I found out the fun way that my ct wanted to follow the ruts regardless of where I wanted to be in the road. Good thing my buddy stayed back a little bit when we saw the road like that. The ruts were just a little over a foot deep when we came to them and I tried to just ride them like I always did in the section of lane I was in. Other then that I suddenly combusted into a horrible death with flames scorching the earth and my cookies all over the road. Just another reason to have my friendly girlscout come pay me a visit again. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool Cool
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum