Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear tire fronts?

+2
robw
Hound Dog
6 posters

Go down

Rear tire fronts? Empty Rear tire fronts?

Post  Hound Dog Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:25 pm

I just put on the Potenza in the link bellow yours. So far I think aI like it. Anyway..
I put a 709 Bridgestone on the Front and hope it is a good wearing tire.

I am interested in other options and want to hear about what will work. That Pilot is a bike rear tire going on front?
If so what size tire would go on the 09 1800 wing? Is the Pilot the prefered one or are all just as good?

Lou

Hound Dog

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

Rear tire fronts? Empty Re: Rear tire fronts?

Post  robw Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 pm

The BattleAx i use is a rear tire. Hard compound in the middle and the sides are softer for cornering. I got 31,000 miles out of my last one. I also use Dyna Beads for balancing. I ran it at 40 PSI, 42 two-up and when pulling the trailer.
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Rear tire fronts? Empty BattleAx BT45 130/70/18 Front Tire

Post  PAW58 Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:13 am

Does this tire get mounted backwords on the front? hmmm

PAW58

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Rear tire fronts? Empty Backwards Mount

Post  cpwomer Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:39 am

Yess I know some are doing it but can anyone explain the purpose/advantage to reverse mounting cause I ordered my tires as per reccomendations from other users but before I mount then I would like too know why on the reverse mount of a rear tire on the front... Craig
cpwomer
cpwomer

Number of posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:01 am

A rear tire carcass is designed to accommodate the rotational torque of acceleration. A front tire carcass is designed to accommodate the rotational torque of braking. The thinking is by reversing the mounting of a rear tire on the front you mimic the design of the front tire as it reacts to the torque of braking. I have heard that modern tires are so well designed that this is really a moot point. There is the design of the tread sipping for water channeling that seems to make more sense to me to mount the tire in normal rotation.
A lot of people say do it in reverse, and a lot say not to.
I personally think it probably doesn't make any difference which way you do it. yes
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Rear tire fronts? Empty Tire Rotation

Post  cpwomer Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:50 pm

The reason i ask is in big truck world there are rotational tire directions and i was told by firestone that if the tire guy mounted it backwards is could come apart on its own after 30-40 thousand miles and for a tire that can get 240,000 thats critical. but i think the construction of a MC tire is a bit different than a big truck. but if the MC tire is designed for that purpose as you put it than right it does make some sense, but on the other hand on the Pilot as you have and I ordered the water lines may only work one way...what is your experience in the water if none than hell i'll mount thing the way you did. thax Craig
cpwomer
cpwomer

Number of posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Rear tire fronts? Empty Battleax Rear Tire

Post  darrellj1 Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm looking at my owners manual for my 2003 GW and notice that they recommend using 130/60/16 rear. Are folks using this size for their front?

Thanks, Darrell

darrellj1

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post  robw Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:26 am

Darrell,
You would use an 18" tire on the front. Motorcycle tires are designated front and rear. The rear tire usually has more rubber; that is why a lot of people run them.
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum