Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sidewal Stiffnes " T " rating

3 posters

Go down

Sidewal Stiffnes  " T " rating Empty Sidewal Stiffnes " T " rating

Post  pcaffeldt Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:40 am

So I went over to the guy at Big O. I go the " look " and the speech " it ain't gonna work "

After I got past that he gave me some of his books to look thru. There was a Toyo I was looking at but it had a "T " rating. He said that was too soft and would be wobbly. He went on to say that I should be looking at an " H " or a " V " rating. What do you guys say suggest ? bow

Thanks !

pcaffeldt

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-08-24

Back to top Go down

Sidewal Stiffnes  " T " rating Empty Re: Sidewal Stiffnes " T " rating

Post  twin1300 Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:29 am

Not sure that wobbly would be a term to use. PSI makes all the difference in the world to how it handles and because you run it in line with the lean of the motorcycle, it shouldn't wobble. Trust me..I ran the VW tire at first because that's the only tire that would fit my 1300 that we could find and it did fine for a couple of years with no wobble issues. JMO You can't get much softer side walls than that. LOL

..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Your Big O guy is full of BULL! Speed rating has nothing to do with a tire being soft.
What you need to be looking at is the service description for the tire, a 2 digit number and a letter.
The number is the tire's Load Index and represents the tire's load carrying capacity. These range from 70 which equals a load carrying capacity of 750 lbs to 110 which equals a load carrying capacity of 2337 lbs.
The letter is the Speed rating and is based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met.
The T rated tire you were looking at is good to a sustained operating speed of 118 mph at whatever the load carrying capacity was.
The stock tire on my Wing was a 74H which means it is good to 130 mph with an 827 lb load on it.
Will I ever go 130 mph??? hmmm
Not likely, but the Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP I put on her has a service rating of 87H which is 1201 lbs at 130 mph.
Like Bobby said pressure is the element that most determines how a tire feels.
I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion your tire guy caused. Vader
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Sidewal Stiffnes  " T " rating Empty Thanks Guys !

Post  pcaffeldt Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:39 pm

So, what I get from it is that a " T " rating should be just fine. Ya ? hmmm

pcaffeldt

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down