Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossing Back Over

+5
Tshirtmeister
Shockwave
jedishon
Larry Simpson
Doc
9 posters

Go down

Crossing Back Over Empty Crossing Back Over

Post  Doc Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Just ordered a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16 for my Wing. thumbup

I had been concerned with how the TPMS would work with this scenario regarding the pressures I would like to run. Seems like a lot of Goldwingers run Non-Run Flats at about 38-40 psi and Run Flats at around 32psi. A couple of buddy's who ride Goldwings swear by the Run Flat and the way they handle curves.
The stock pressure for the Wing in the rear is 41psi, I have been playing with my pressures to see how low I could run with out setting off the TPMS alarm and to see how much the pressures rise with running the tire at highway speeds.
I won't be able to run the 32psi that a lot of Goldwing riders are using with their run flats without the TPMS lighting up, but the pressure rises pretty quickly at highway speeds and that turns off the light.
I can live with this, so I selected the Michelin Run Flat.
When I get it mounted I'll post some pics and start playing with pressures on it. Vader
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Crossing Back Over Empty RE CROSSING BACK OVER

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Can you not re program the tps computer or the sensors in the rims?
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Crossing Back Over Empty Re: Crossing Back Over

Post  Doc Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Larry Simpson wrote:Can you not re program the tps computer or the sensors in the rims?
Without having a Japanese computer scientist that works for Honda as a good buddy, I don't think so, nothing in the owners manual about it, and no one on the Goldwing board has ever mentioned that. Shrug
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:42 pm

00 Doc wrote:
Larry Simpson wrote:Can you not re program the tps computer or the sensors in the rims?
Without having a Japanese computer scientist that works for Honda as a good buddy, I don't think so, nothing in the owners manual about it, and no one on the Goldwing board has ever mentioned that. Shrug

Sounds like you need to. Just sayin.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Crossing Back Over Empty re crossing back over

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Might check at the dealership to see if they are programmable in case you wanted to run lower pressure on the mc tire. hmmm hmmm
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  Shockwave Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 pm

I can't speak for Honda but the TPMS we use in the Chrysler world can have the threshold pressures changed to a certain extent. I would speak to the dealer or a tech at the dealer. Bring doughnuts for best results.

Mike

Shockwave

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:02 pm

I looked into this a bit more.
The TPMS has a control module in the fairing, it is not programmable, but it is replaceable.... For $400! Shocked
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tshirtmeister Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi Wes did you already wear out the back tire? Were you doin burnouts? hehe . I love my run flat, its small so it acts alot like a MT, 175/60R/16. I found i like it at 32PSI but it rises to about 37 psi when hot. At 34psi it rises to 38-39psi hot and still rides good. Does your TPMS show your pressures or is it just an alarm? Set it just above the minimum cold and im sure with your experiance it will be just fine. Now that i got both darkside patches im good to go too. MHMM(many happy motoring miles)

Paul

Tshirtmeister

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.a1colrs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:23 pm

lol! No I didn't wear it out.
I'm hoping the Michelin gets here and I can get it mounted before
I leave on a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway and then a few days in Cincinnati.
The TPMS on a Wing is just a light that comes on when pressures are lower than about 34psi.
I'm thinking on running it about 32-33psi and just letting the tire warming up turn the light off.
I'll still have a warning light if pressures start to drop... thumbup

Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Crossing Back Over Empty re crossing back over

Post  Larry Simpson Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:03 pm

thumbup thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  Tshirtmeister Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Thats the key with a runflat. if your light is staying on then check it, otherwise your good. Have fun with the new bike and dont scratch it.

Paul

Tshirtmeister

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.a1colrs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:05 am

Have a great ride Doc! just a little jealous here.

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Layed 'er over...
Crossing Back Over IMG_1709
Got 'er done!!!
Crossing Back Over IMG_1713

Took a short ride and I am liking it. First thing I checked.... It stops instead of skidding. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:22 pm

00 Doc wrote:Layed 'er over...
Crossing Back Over IMG_1709
Got 'er done!!!
Crossing Back Over IMG_1713

Took a short ride and I am liking it. First thing I checked.... It stops instead of skidding. thumbup

cheers Another sassy-fied customer!!! yeah
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  mrugg Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:18 pm

I am confused with mine CT.I have a little over 5000 miles and it is almost shot the only reason I would stay with a CT is the price.I believe I have enough tread left for the rest of the summer.Come spring I will make my mind up wich way to go.
mrugg
mrugg

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:08 am

I just got back from a 3400 mile ride to the Smokies, Blue Ridge Parkway, and northern Kentucky.
And I am impressed with my Michelin Alpin ZP. I had some fairly warm weather and measured my pressures with the tires warm and found that 40psi was a nice riding pressure. Incidentally the maximum inflation pressure fro this tire is 41psi. The 40psi warm pressure equaled a cold pressure of about 34 psi.
34psi takes about 5 miles for the TPMS light to stop blinking.
The Michelin has great traction and according to my riding buddies has a great looking contact patch.
Here is a pic from US129... Vader
Crossing Back Over 127002
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  greenie Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:04 pm

I would not bet my life on in but usually the max air pressure on a tire is also based on cold temp..So your tire is probably good up in to mid to high 40's...As the weather gets colder your tire will take longer to warm up but my light is usually is out in 20 miles or so on a cool day..On a real cold day it starts out with a solid light showing me the pressure is around 20% low..Then as it warms up it goes to a flashing light which is somewhere close to the 10% range of the 41psi...Then finally the light goes off when it breaks the 10% range somewhere around 38 to 40 psi..

greenie

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolfsbane Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:06 pm

I see this a few months old but I thought I'd comment.

Systems like this have an electronic sensor that checks the tire pressure. What you need to do is find the sensor, pull off the electrical connection and using a multimeter, test what the sensor's output is at various tire pressures. Then it's a just a matter of wiring in a resistor which changes the output of the sensor to fool the system into thinking the tire pressure is higher than it actually is.

Then system's idiot light will turn on at a pressure lower than the one the company originally specified.

There are resistor calculators on the internet you can use to determine what size resistor you'd need to change the output.

If you want to get fancy, you can set up a unit with several resistors so you can set various pressures as the minimum activation pressure for the idiot light.

Eric Wolfsbane

00 Doc wrote:Just ordered a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16 for my Wing. thumbup

I had been concerned with how the TPMS would work with this scenario regarding the pressures I would like to run. Seems like a lot of Goldwingers run Non-Run Flats at about 38-40 psi and Run Flats at around 32psi. A couple of buddy's who ride Goldwings swear by the Run Flat and the way they handle curves.
The stock pressure for the Wing in the rear is 41psi, I have been playing with my pressures to see how low I could run with out setting off the TPMS alarm and to see how much the pressures rise with running the tire at highway speeds.
I won't be able to run the 32psi that a lot of Goldwing riders are using with their run flats without the TPMS lighting up, but the pressure rises pretty quickly at highway speeds and that turns off the light.
I can live with this, so I selected the Michelin Run Flat.
When I get it mounted I'll post some pics and start playing with pressures on it. Vader

Wolfsbane

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:35 am

Thanks Wolfsbane, I haven't updated this thread, but I found an even simpler solution.
I have found that for me on my Goldwing that almost 40psi in the front tire and 32psi in the rear gives me the best handling and ride.
Honda's recommended tire pressures are 36psi front and 41psi in the rear. The TPMS doesn't start blinking until you are well over 10% below these pressures.
The sensors are part of the valve stems and send a radio frequency signal to the bike's TPMS computer to tell it what the pressures are. Each TPMS sensor has to be registered, so the bikes computer recognizes its own sensors and knows which sensor is in the front and which is in the rear.
There is a procedure for this in the service manual. It requires a trigger tool that I purchased from Tire Rack, an ATEQ VT-15.
What I did was re-register my sensors, but did it in the reverse order from the procedure in the service manual so as to trick the bike's computer into thinking that the rear tire was the front and the front tire was the rear.
This way I can run 32 psi in the rear Michilen and 39psi in the front Bridgestone and the TPMS thinks everything is within Honda's recommended parameters, and it all works just like it was designed. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down