Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DDS advantages

5 posters

Go down

DDS advantages Empty DDS advantages

Post  freeindeed Tue May 24, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm flippin my front tire around to wear the right side down some but will be lookin' for a replacement. Currently running a Metz 880 150/80/17 front on a 0613R. Anyway, at the risk of asking the same question as others, I apologize in advance, but what is the advantage of running a rear tire on the front? Now I'm sure I'll never get rid of the left side tire wear, thats fine, but if I can get more life out of the front tire, I'm in. Maybe thats not what I should expect, but I'm thinking, why else?
It's been a while since I've been here. Glad to see many of the same faces. Thanks. Rob

freeindeed

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

DDS advantages Empty Re: DDS advantages

Post  Doc Wed May 25, 2011 9:15 am

Glad you stopped back by Rob... Welcome

Basically the advantage is, the deeper tread and more rubber that makes the rear tire on the front last longer.

I run the Metz 880 @ 40psi on the front of my VTX and have never had a problem with left side wear or cupping.
I've never bought the road crown or kick stand lean or other explanations for it.
My opinion is that it is from a front axle installation that is not properly seated.
The procedure for seating the axle is to install the axle so the index groove on it is aligned with the fork leg cutout.
Tighten the left pinch bolt to 16 ft/lb, then tighten the axle bolt to 44 ft/lb, then tighten the right pinch bolt to 16 ft/lb.
Loosen the left pinch bolt, and bounce the front end against the brake several times
to align and seat the axle then retorque the left pinch bolts to 16 ft/lb.
The 40 psi prevents cupping.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  freeindeed Wed May 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks Doc, for the welcome.

I've tried about everything to lose the left side wear. And I have set the axle according to the manual. And I think the tire has not been off since I put it on, it has 5500 miles on it now. If I flip it soon I should get at least 3K more out of it. These Western NY roads are brutal on tires, the original Dunlop front tire made it to 7K and the rear 5500 miles. I run hard most of the time, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. At 17K I replaced the rear brake pads, still has good front pads on it. I keep tires at 40 psi and I think I'm pretty good about it, just not anal.

More tread on a rear tire? Thats something worth looking at. Any recommendations?

freeindeed

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed May 25, 2011 9:12 pm

I've heard good comments about the Avon Roadrider. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  SPyKER Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:00 am

Ride on the other side of the road.

90 percent of all roads are raised in the center to allow water runoff and to avoid pooling. This means that the left side of the road is raised slightly higher than the right side on the right lane of the road. The gyroscopic effect of a running rim provides balance and helps to keep the bike vertically straight. This means that there is slightly more pressure on the left side of the tire than the right, hence the extra left side wear we all get here in the US.

No matter that tire you run, what pressure you run, unless you ride down he middle of the road always one side or the other is going to wear differently then than the other.

By the way, this affects cars slightly less because of their four-point balance system instead of out two-point balance system.

SPyKER

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:59 pm

Actually, it's because their tires stay mostly flat on the road, regardless of verticality of the pavement.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:14 am

I think I tried thr Roadrider rear on the front first. Using the universal tire (front or rear fitment) you dont have to worry about how to put the rotation arrow.
Any way I know I had at least 8,000 miles on it before I had to leave it and take a job 10 hours away. It still looked fairly new. Had more tread than a new front tire. It did seem to take a lot longer to break it in. Was over 500 and probably closer to 1,000 before it really started to show how good it handled.

Good luck on your choice. Let us know what you go with.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down