Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

darkside-No Shop

+5
Beermand
wayne
Doc
twin1300
Georgemb
9 posters

Go down

darkside-No Shop Empty darkside-No Shop

Post  Georgemb Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Hey everybody,have been researching going darkside for a couple a months now.Sounds like it's for me.But now I can't find any place that will put the thing on the rim.I'm in St.Charles IL.anybodybody out there close with equipment that can do the job????????

Georgemb

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

darkside-No Shop Empty Re: darkside-No Shop

Post  twin1300 Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Welcome sir and what took you so long??? Very Happy Glad to have you!

Anyway....my suggestion is to remove the whole wheel from the bike and take it to a car tire shop and tell them it's going on a side car and let them mount if for you! JMO

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks Bobby for this reply and for your note to tennx on the VTX forum.I kind a don't want to pull the tire and rubber before I find some place to do the job.Don't want to be sitting around with a bare rim and not be able to ride for how ever long it takes to find a place to do the work.As it is,it's already going to take some extra time to seal the rims and let them cure.One of the pastors at my church sealed his rims and he had to wait 2 days for them to cure.So I'll just keep looking.

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Try a small independent tire shop. They usually appreciate the business. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Bring it to me, I will mount it for ya. Laughing

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:11 pm

I bought the regular 3M 5200 instead of the fast dry and had to wait 7 days for my spoke to seal. 2 days is a piece of cake, or at least a cookie! Laughing
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:08 am

wayne wrote:Bring it to me, I will mount it for ya. Laughing

Well....there you go then!!! Problem solved!!! Very Happy
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Mon May 23, 2011 12:53 pm

That's not really a solution,I can't drive out to OR.to get my tire mounted.But thanks for the offer.I guess going darkside on a 1300S with a Mich.205-65-15,was a big mistake,w/tax,a 156.43 mistake.I know to a lot of you that's nothing,but for me that's a lot.I guess that this is a sign that going Darkside is something I'm not supposed to do.
THANKS to all for your help and advise,this board and it's members ROCK !!!!!!!!!

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon May 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Georgemb wrote:That's not really a solution,I can't drive out to OR.to get my tire mounted.But thanks for the offer.I guess going darkside on a 1300S with a Mich.205-65-15,was a big mistake,w/tax,a 156.43 mistake.I know to a lot of you that's nothing,but for me that's a lot.I guess that this is a sign that going Darkside is something I'm not supposed to do.
THANKS to all for your help and advise,this board and it's members ROCK !!!!!!!!!

Sorry....but you will get tired of buying them expensive MT's and come back anyway! Hehehehe A couple of the members here did the Walmart $55 Douglas tire! You know you DON'T have to buy the most expensive car tire they make huh?

Take care...................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Mon May 23, 2011 3:03 pm

You could try to mount it yourself using this method with straps, you can cut the old tire off of the rim. I might try it next tire change with ratchet straps, I have a ton of those. Thanks to the guys at ADV rider for this tip check it out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Mon May 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Bobby I didn't get the HEdge because it was the most expencive I got it because it was all I could find in stock and I was in a hurry to get it on and ride.And form what I read on other forums I thought it would only cost me around 110.00 bucks.But I haven't totally given up.I was just a little down and frustrated on my last post.
Heading down to harbor freight to pick up some straps to give that a try.Thanks for your good sense of humor!!

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Mon May 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Please let us know if the strap method works for you. Would love to hear a report on how it goes and how hard or easy it is and maybe a photo with some description when you do it! Good luck hope it works for you!
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Wed May 25, 2011 3:36 am

Got the strapes today,2 for 5.00,couldn't find those .88 cent ones,but these will work if it's going to work.Left it sit out in the sun to get stretchy,but the temp was only in the 50's so they didn't warm up very much.will give the mounting a try tomorrow,it's 3:32am here so i guess i mean later today.If i can't get it on i'll wait for some warmer weather and try again.has anyone ever tried using a heat gun to heat up a tire?

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Wed May 25, 2011 4:45 pm

The straps really did not work.I'm sure they would work for a regular MT,but not for a CT,or should I say,for THIS CT.I have a friend who's brother has a hand tire machine,so the three of us are going to see if we can get it mounted sometime this week.Three of us pushing and pulling together,hopefully,can get it on.I need to get this done,my ride has been down for almost a month now.Rebuilt the steering w/all balls,new front tire,new breaks,rebuilt the front forks,put in new everything along with progressive springs,everything is back together except for this back tire.What a bummer.I'm getting cob-webs on my tail lights it's been down so long.

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed May 25, 2011 5:47 pm

I don't get you guys. We changed our dirt bike tires on the trail with little 6" spoons. I changed out both my DS tires with a couple of HF irons and some windex - no machines at all.
WHAT is the problem? Is the tire that tight? Or the underwear? lafer
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 pm

It took a tire changer a cheap manual one, and three guys pushing to get my GYTT on the rim of my 03 1800S. It took a couple of tries. I am not sure why it was so hard, the guy with the tire changer is a good friend and he has a General Altimax on his Vulcan 2000 and was on his 2nd one and his tire was mounted by himself on his changer, he did this GYTT on mine and it took 3 of us pushing on the tire to get it over the rim? It was tough!
Beermand
Beermand

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu May 26, 2011 9:16 am

I'm not saying it was totally easy - and after a slight ding in one of the steel rims, I began to see why some recommend no longer than 12" tire irons.
The biggest problem I've seen is getting enough of the bead to go down in the "well" of the rim to allow the rest of the bead to flip inside. The real trick I use is using a rubber mallet and whacking the iron sideways, imitating the tire machine tool. If you use windex, you have to go quickly or it dries out.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgemb Fri May 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Well here's the scoop,After 16 posts and a lot of advise from you guys tring to help out,I went back to the very first reply (which was from Bobby),and took the darn thing to the tire place where i bought the tire,told them it was for a sidecar and they mounted it for free.The guy did say "I never did this,if anybody asks" but finally got the thing on the rim,and now on the bike.It took 120 psi to pop.Took it out for a ride today and i have to say,it really was worth the trouble.Man it rides smooth,i love it.All that crap you read about the bad stuff about going darkside is just that,CRAP.I rode down to my church which is 12.5miles.By the time i got there i was used to the difference.There are a lot of differences too,all good!!!!
Thanks to all who took time to reply and offer help,and especially you bobby,who was the first to reply,and if I would have taken your advise in the fiirst place i would of avoided a lot of frustration.
Now,did i read somewhere,something about cookies for a new darkside convert ????????????

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  yabiah Fri May 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Welcome to the club! thumbup
yabiah
yabiah

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Fri May 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Congrats thumbup
It just gets better! thumbup thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Fri May 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Never give up and always listen to Bobby, although you have to forget the cookies.
Welcome & congrats.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri May 27, 2011 9:59 pm

You only get to smell them I think.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

darkside-No Shop Empty UPDATE !!!!

Post  Georgemb Mon May 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Well here we go.Rode about 30 miles the first day,next day checked my air pressure,it was okay,but it rained and no ride.Next day rode and it felt a little strange,i figured i was still getting use to it.Today the wife and i went out for a ride and at every take off it wobbled.Checked it when we got home and it had 10 lbs.of pressure in it.CRAP!Got out the soapy water and found 2 leaky spokes.You know,you live and hopefully you learn.So now I have to find somebody to take the thing back off the rim,reseal the leaky spokes,then get it put back on.Life is an adventure.
Now that i have ridden darkside there's no going back either.So my brothers,say a little prayer for me if you would.
~G~

Georgemb

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon May 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Georgemb wrote:Well here's the scoop,After 16 posts and a lot of advise from you guys tring to help out,I went back to the very first reply (which was from Bobby),and took the darn thing to the tire place where i bought the tire,told them it was for a sidecar and they mounted it for free.The guy did say "I never did this,if anybody asks" but finally got the thing on the rim,and now on the bike.It took 120 psi to pop.Took it out for a ride today and i have to say,it really was worth the trouble.Man it rides smooth,i love it.All that crap you read about the bad stuff about going darkside is just that,CRAP.I rode down to my church which is 12.5miles.By the time i got there i was used to the difference.There are a lot of differences too,all good!!!!
Thanks to all who took time to reply and offer help,and especially you bobby,who was the first to reply,and if I would have taken your advise in the fiirst place i would of avoided a lot of frustration.
Now,did i read somewhere,something about cookies for a new darkside convert ????????????

Just glad I could help a fellow rider out! Congrats and I am glad it was worth the hassle! yeah

Now go enjoy the darksid and slam some miles and it just try to kill it!!! Good luck with that though! LOl

.........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon May 30, 2011 10:52 pm

hopefully it will seat with less pressure this time. Gotta get you back non the road.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down