Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slow speed handling - u-turns

+2
twin1300
Jim-eye
6 posters

Go down

Slow speed handling - u-turns Empty Slow speed handling - u-turns

Post  Jim-eye Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:12 am

Hello, I am new here, but a longtime member of VTXOA. I have a darkside question. I did not find an answer in a quick search. I have a fairly new rear tire (Metzler 880) but have some questions for when I replace it in the distant future. I’m not looking to start argument, really just looking for experienced rider opinions.

I’m involved with the MSF classes, and one of the things I enjoy doing with my VTX1300 is demonstrating the U-turn box before and after class. (during class we use the trainer bikes) Are there any darkside riders here who teach MSF classes, or who have taken the experienced riders course (‘Skilled Riders’ if Riders Edge)? How does the CT affect slow speed handling and tight U-turns? I know that performing these maneuvers really leans the bike at relatively slow speeds, and I wonder how the CT affects this.

Thanks

Jim-eye

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

Slow speed handling - u-turns Empty Re: Slow speed handling - u-turns

Post  twin1300 Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:32 am

We had a MSF instructor that was darkside member here, but after a couple of years he sold the X and went to a crotchrocket/cruiser. He didn't have any issues doing the course, but he took a lot of grief because of it. He said no one with a motorcycle tire out performed him.

......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:13 am

One of our members, Joe, (Jaarch) is a MSF instructor at his Navy Base and on this topic, he posted
"I have taken at least two feet off of my u-turns and I have complete confidence in my cornering ability in any road conditions
(I do slow down in the rain a bit). I am an MSF Rider Coach and I use my bike for demos with absolutely zero issues in all exercises."
the thread is here: https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t4922-say-hello-to-the-newbe-me#39642
Joe is a great guy, and I'm sure he will be along soon to answer all your questions, or you could pm him.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  jaarch Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Thanks Doc,
I have a little over 4,000 miles on my tire now and I have taught several courses as well. I do usually use our demo bikes but I also like to go out and practice on my X. I can still easily complete the u-turns inside the 20 foot box (I would estimate 18 feet). I have not found a drawback to these tires yet (not that I'm looking for one, LOL). Let me know if you have any more questions.

Joe

jaarch

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:50 am

I've taught the RLAP style course a few times and practice occasionally myself. There is no difference whatsoever in slow turns on a DS tire. If anything, the extra 1/2" height in back helps.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:10 am

Depending on the bike, there can be a difference in the feel in very slow speed cornering of a car tire verses a bike tire. I've a Concours and a Kaw 900C. On both at walking speeds, I can most definitely fell when the sharper edge of the car tire comes into play on a tight turn, it's especially noticeable on the Concours.

It does require some getting used to, and can't be simply ignored for people new to the darkside, and does require some practice to get over the feeling of slight instability. Once you've done it a few times, this feeling of insecurity goes away, but it is there and cannot be denied.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:50 am

As far as my X...the slow riding characteristics are just fine. I can snap full lock 180's feet up and appear to turn a tad qucker than others with motorcycle tires. Not sure if that's just experience or the car tire???

Any slow riding advanced skills takes practice to include knowing and training with the car tire. Practice, practice...practice!

.........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim-eye Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:12 am

Thanks for the input!

Jim-eye