Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The end of the Comtrac

+3
Dan Koich
twin1300
quadancer
7 posters

Go down

The end of the Comtrac Empty The end of the Comtrac

Post  quadancer Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:35 pm

We see the Comtrac now discontinued?
I don't understand this site I found: I looked for virtually 3 months before getting the Vredestein, as it was the only useable one of two 175/75/16's out there.
Now here are 14 manufacturer's claiming to have this size:
http://www.elitedirect.com/Tyres/Tyres-By-Size.php?section=175&profile=75&rim=16
I doubt it.

Or maybe not:
http://www.dandjtire.com/Light_Truck/Nankang/supertripper.htm

http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/tires/tire-presenter-single-view/view/singleView.html?aoetirepresenter[offset]=0&aoetirepresenter[tire]=30&aoetirepresenter[back]=214&cHash=f2253492d1

http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/tires/tire-presenter-single-view/view/singleView.html?aoetirepresenter[offset]=0&aoetirepresenter[tire]=34&aoetirepresenter[back]=214&cHash=8e6d1f0aa2

http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-catalogue.asp?man=goodyear&s=2
Oooops, that one was UK...

http://alisveris.baserler.com/index.php?cPath=20_2200_2204

Okay, it thinned out from there - I see a lot overseas - if you could get enough guys together for the same tire, shipping might be worth it. I just can't understand why I couldn't find these before?
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

The end of the Comtrac Empty Re: The end of the Comtrac

Post  twin1300 Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:43 am

That's what happened to the VW tire 165/80/15 that we used to run, until I found we out we could put a 205 on. So, we feel your pain!

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

The end of the Comtrac Empty End of the Comtrac?

Post  Dan Koich Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:52 pm

I've been searching for the Vredestein Comtrac 175-75R-16 for my 09 Heritage Softail Classic and have confirmed from the importer that they're no longer going to be made or imported. I doubt that there are more than 2 anywhere in the USA for sale right now. I won't absolutely need a new tire for a few months, but from what I'm finding, this is not going to be easy or quick to find a replacement. So I've been searching for another tire that should fit, and I'm finding that there are several, but they only appear to be available in Europe. A message to this sites sponsor, Motorcycle Superstore, this morning, showed me that they're unwilling to import any, so I'm now looking for an importer. I've sent an email directly to Pirelli USA in Georgia and hope for a positive reply on Monday regarding the Pirelli Chrono 175-75R-16. I haven't heard anything positive from Firestone regarding their Vanhawk nor have I heard anything positive about importing a Conintental Vanco 2. HELP!!!!

Dan Koich

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanx for joining in the hunt Dan. I even tried some Canadian dealers and couldn't find anything our size there either. We need to convince a dealer that if he orders a mess of 'em THEY WILL SELL!!! We can post on all the DS forums and Harley's DS threads. We WILL find someone who wants to make some money. Crap, you'd think every one of them would be jumping on this!
Oh, and speed rating must be in excess of 100-110 mph. And you know what? We all love the Triple treads, Altimaxes, and those water-shedding symmetricals, so maybe we find one of those in our size and focus on talking dealers into ordering a mess of them. That ensures the sales.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

The end of the Comtrac Empty End of the Comtrac?

Post  Dan Koich Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:55 pm

I spoke with a guy from Tires by Web a couple of hours ago. They are also looking for a tire to replace the Vredestein 175-75R-16. He said they sold hundreds of the Vredestein; one at a time. I asked him to call me if they find something and I told him I would post a notice on this forum that would act as advertising for him. Mutual benefit. He sells tires, we get tires. Teamwork.

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

The end of the Comtrac Empty the end of the comtrac

Post  Dan Koich Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:45 pm

I just received an email from Continental Tires in Germany. Continental no longer manufactures the Vanco 2 in 175-75R-16. I'm still trying to reach Pirelli USA in Rome Georgia regarding their Chrono (winter) in 175-75R-16 and I'm playing phone tag with a representative of Bridgestone/Firestone regarding their Vanhawk 175-75R-16, which is popular in Europe but not in the US.

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Koich Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:30 pm

I spent lots of hours looking and all I've come up with is is the Austone 175R16 taxi tire This is made in China and sold in the US by Universal Vintage Tire Co. The cost is $143.00 plus about $20.00 for shipping. I've found that the Austone has a speed rating of Q which =99mph, but the guy at Universal said there is a recommendation that speeds not exceed 87mph, but he did not know why. I have not learned what the aspect ratio of this tire is. I sent an email to the manufacturer asking for details and have not received a reply.
I sent two emails to a tire sales outfit in England specifically asking if they would sell and ship a tire to the US and have not received any response. The 175's are very popular there. I again called Pat at Tires by Web and again he assured me that they are looking into finding a replacement for the Comtrac. I'll call him again next week. A couple of distributors have told me that it's probably that the tires in 175-75r-16 by manufactures other than Vredestein have not gone through the process of having their line of tires in this size approved by the US Dept of Transportation and that may be why they haven't been imported into the US. I haven' t talked to anyone at US DOT to learn this process yet. I've also got messages into two different european tire importers. I'll contact them both again on Monday if I don't hear anything over the weekend.
I wonder if it's legal to import a container full of non-DOT approved tires. Anybody out there know anything about DOT approvals?

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Excellent work, Dan! I've been busy planning some camping trips in what time I have. Evidently the Vredesteins were approved, and I do know that the one stipulation of the insurance companies is that the tires be DOT approved.
I'm sure the Austone is, since a.) it's here and b.) it's a 100,000 mile tire. Someone here or on the other DS forum was going to get one; maybe we can get the height from him and figure the aspect ratio ourselves. I'll hunt that up.
I'm sure DOT approval may not be much more than an inspection, but wouldn't you expect they'll want thousands for the "service". Suspect

Edit: I see Timo found one from Coker, in another thread in here: https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t5017-new-tire-that-will-work#40541
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:18 pm

I wrote Baserler Online about their Goodyear 175/75/16 that is presently out of stock.
I've run out of search options and I'm sick of seeing "tyre" listings!!! But at least that separates us and keeps us from wasting time.
Wait...maybe I'll try "tyre, USA"... Neutral
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Koich Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:18 pm

I didn't have much progress today. I didn't get started till too late in the day and the east coast contacts I wanted to make were already closed. I did learn that Austone makes a car/van tire in 175-75R-16 that is different than the 175r16 taxi tire. The taxi tire is Austone's CSR81 and the car/van tire is CSR71 The CSR81 and the CSR71 both have a speed rating of Q The CSR71 is an 8 ply radial and the CSR81 is a 6 ply. Both are very similiar in size, but not exactly the same. I have not found an importer or retail distributor for the CSR71 yet. The CSR 81 taxi tire is available from Universal Vintage Tire Inc in Hersey, Pa. Apparently all Austone tires have the DOT approval, so maybe it will be less of an ordeal to have somebody import the CSR71 than any of the other brands of 175.

Dan Koich

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Tue May 03, 2011 12:29 am

Any movement on finding importers for the Austone?

Thanks
eidolon
eidolon
eidolon

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue May 03, 2011 5:31 am

I feel your pain guys! I hunted for years for my father n laws RK to no avail. Good luck!

............................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue May 03, 2011 9:06 am

twin1300 wrote:I feel your pain guys! I hunted for years for my father n laws RK to no avail. Good luck!

One Yippy click: http://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue May 03, 2011 2:11 pm

quadancer wrote:
twin1300 wrote:I feel your pain guys! I hunted for years for my father n laws RK to no avail. Good luck!

One Yippy click: http://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html

He finally solved the whole issue...he bought a 42,000 HD trike with two car tires!!!! ROFL

.........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The end of the Comtrac Empty FireStone antique tire

Post  quadancer Thu May 12, 2011 6:47 pm

I noticed a 185HR16 Firestone Blackwall Tire on the Universal site that says the tread width is just 4-3/4".
I mailed them the big question: how wide is it at the sidewalls.
Will keep you all posted. Oh, and it's tall, at 27.56 inches. Looks good too!!!
http://www.universaltire.com/185hr16-firestone-blackwall.html
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  pago cruiser Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:51 am

Any update on this tire, or similar for availability? The 185HR16 Firestone is listed at $265! Plus shipping. This is nuts...

pago cruiser

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Metalman Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Is a tire speed-rated at it's full load limit? If so, then would running it on a motorcycle allow for safe operation at higher speed because of a smaller load?

Metalman

Number of posts : 57
Location : Hernando Beach, FL (winter); Rineyville, KY (summer)
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  perfesser Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:45 am

The load isn't too much of an issue compared to the speed of rotation. The centrifugal forces trying to tear it apart are more a function of how fast it's spinning than what it's carrying (within normal design limits).

perfesser

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum