Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unable to mount Kumho

+2
Otis56
TheMurkySwamp
6 posters

Go down

Unable to mount Kumho Empty Unable to mount Kumho

Post  TheMurkySwamp Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:25 pm

I had to give up going Darkside. Bought a Kumho 170/80-15 as many had recommended. Could not not get that darn thing to set the bead. Tried KY, veg oil, Windex and Dawn for lubes. Aired it up to ~100-110 psi, left it in the sun, yada, yada, yada. It never set. I then discovered that the bead was torn in several places on both sides of the tire after letting it sit overnight at 100psi. Didn't expect that. Not really willing to flush another 80 bucks and another week of no riding to try again. Picking up a Dunlop tomorrow...swell. Sad

The only good news is: I feel like an expert at removing and mounting tires now. So I have that going for me...which is nice.

TheMurkySwamp

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-04

Back to top Go down

Unable to mount Kumho Empty Re: Unable to mount Kumho

Post  Otis56 Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:44 am

I think you got the tire size confused, should be a 165/80/15.

mark
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:38 pm

Could you grind it a bit to fit and then put a tube in it? OR, go where there's more air and make her blow or go.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:01 am

When you say the bead was torn, what do you mean? Can you post some pictures of that tire, because I'd be willing to bet it's still perfectly fine.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 am

The 15" car tries really have a smaller inside hole than do 15" bike tires. The ones I measured were 1/8" total difference.

It required using a hand drill with a 5" grinder wheel on it to grind 1/16" off the inside part of the tire, all the way around the tire. This allowed it to pop over the safety bead on the rim. As far as I can tell, it has lost no air pressure in the last year, although I've not checked it for the last 2 months sitting over the Winter months.

I've also had a one day ride of 850 miles, over a lot of interstate in very hot conditions, led a group through the Dragon and left most behind. There is no problem in doing what I've done, as long as you are careful and keep everything smooth so that it seals the air.
Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 am

Sorry sir! Did you wash the rim really good and get the old rubber off and old soap because the car tire has such softer rubber that anything on the rim can grab the car tire bead and keep it from beading and if you do bind it like that, it can tear up the bead.

...................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down