Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Here. 2004 Ultra with Harley Sidecar. Which Car tire?

+2
quadancer
zigeuner
6 posters

Go down

New Here. 2004 Ultra with Harley Sidecar. Which Car tire?  Empty New Here. 2004 Ultra with Harley Sidecar. Which Car tire?

Post  zigeuner Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Hello.

New here. I have a 2004 Ultra with TLE Harley sidecar. I usualy get about 6,000 on a rear tire. It's got the stock size Dunlop on it, 150 or so? I was wondering which car tire might fit on my stock cast rear wheel. Anything that gets me more miles will be a pleasant change. I'd like to hear any tips or tricks required to do this. I really don't want to change the wheel.

Thanks in advance.

zigeuner

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-09-05

Back to top Go down

New Here. 2004 Ultra with Harley Sidecar. Which Car tire?  Empty Re: New Here. 2004 Ultra with Harley Sidecar. Which Car tire?

Post  quadancer Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:58 pm

You'll love the Comtrac if you don't mind gearing up about 4mph - which will probably correct your speedo, like mine did:
http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-8480-vredestein-comtrac.aspx
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

New Here. 2004 Ultra with Harley Sidecar. Which Car tire?  Empty Re: New Here. 2004 Ultra with Harley Sidecar. Which Car tire?

Post  zigeuner Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:24 pm

quadancer wrote:You'll love the Comtrac if you don't mind gearing up about 4mph - which will probably correct your speedo, like mine did:

Hello. Which size Comtrac do you recommend for the rear Ultra wheel? Will the bead fit properly?

Thanks in advance

zigeuner

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:07 am

I assume your stock tire is a 150/70/16? The 175/75/16 will make you very happy and not gear it up too much. I only notice that I don't try to hit a 6th gear as much.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  zigeuner Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:20 pm

quadancer wrote:I assume your stock tire is a 150/70/16? The 175/75/16 will make you very happy and not gear it up too much. I only notice that I don't try to hit a 6th gear as much.

Yes, it's the stock size - 150/70/16. I presume that the 175/75/16 Comtrac will fit inside my swing arm. I'll take a look for one and try one next time. I've got to do something about mileage.

As to gearing, I already lowered my gearing from 3.15:1 to 3.37:1. That's a 6.5 % reduction for the sidecar. A little more gearing won't hurt at all. I have a five speed and it's got plenty of power with my stock 88" engine.

Thanks. I'll start looking for that tire.

zigeuner

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:49 pm

No need to:
Funny thing. Someone called them up and they told him that they'd never sold a pair or a set of these tires; it's always just ONE tire!

"I built it ONE piece at a time boys, ONE piece at a time..."
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  zigeuner Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:09 pm

quadancer wrote:No need to:
Funny thing. Someone called them up and they told him that they'd never sold a pair or a set of these tires; it's always just ONE tire!

"I built it ONE piece at a time boys, ONE piece at a time..."

Thanks for the responses. While I have you here, is there a difference in the rim/bead design that makes it more difficult to mount the tire? Since my favorite tire company here in Sacramento went out of business, I'm going to start doing my own tires.

zigeuner

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:19 pm

just use dish soap and expect to need 70 lbs. or more. IF you go more, park the car over the tire and keep your head away, DO NOT lock on the inflator chuck to the stem and if the rim is rough, sand it smooth. I didn't have to do anything to the chromed spoke wheel.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  zigeuner Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 pm

quadancer wrote:just use dish soap and expect to need 70 lbs. or more. IF you go more, park the car over the tire and keep your head away, DO NOT lock on the inflator chuck to the stem and if the rim is rough, sand it smooth. I didn't have to do anything to the chromed spoke wheel.

70 psi doesn't sound all that bad.

I'm still a bit curious - Maybe I didn't make myself clear earlier. My 2004 Ultra uses the standard 150mm tire. The one you are suggesting is 175mm. Is it the difference in profile that will make it fit in the same width? There is a bit of room on either side. 2003 or so was when HD started using a larger swing arm with a 1" axle so it will likely fit. I was just wondering if the 175 Vredestein Comtrac is similar in width to the 150 Dunlop? This is really the issue I guess. I wonder if car tires use the same measuring system as do motorcycles?

With my sidecar on more or less permanently, I intend to go to the car tire at the next change....probably another 3K miles or so. I would use it even as a solo, however, since I've heard enough here and elsewhere to know that it works. That's the good side of the Darkside. LOL. Very Happy

Thanks again!

zigeuner

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:09 pm

The sizes are the same: a millimeter is a millimeter, although going on a narrow rim with a CT made for a wider one, you lose a little bit of width *(they call it "depth") due to squeezing in the beads. You'll be about 6-3/16" wide as I recall, your closest point might be the left side fender at the top rear. You can read more about it here in my thread:
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/538419-first-heritage-darksider-afaik.html#post6996350
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  zigeuner Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm

quadancer wrote:The sizes are the same: a millimeter is a millimeter, although going on a narrow rim with a CT made for a wider one, you lose a little bit of width *(they call it "depth") due to squeezing in the beads. You'll be about 6-3/16" wide as I recall, your closest point might be the left side fender at the top rear. You can read more about it here in my thread:
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/538419-first-heritage-darksider-afaik.html#post6996350

Thanks! Will do some reading and get back to you.

Smile

zigeuner

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkDeuce Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:39 am

Should you decide on the Comtrac, I have a brand new one, 175/75-16. Never mounted nor pressured up. Won't fit my application. $110 plus freight to you. Email bobreeves@cebridge.net, leave a # and I'll call you.

DarkDeuce

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

New Here. 2004 Ultra with Harley Sidecar. Which Car tire?  Empty Anything new to report?

Post  donatalie Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:24 am

Zigeuner,
Have you found out anything on this? I also have an 04 HD tourer. It's an EGC, not an Ultra, but the frame, suspension and wheels are the same. I have a Hannigan sidecar on mine. The most I've ever gotten from my Dunlop MT's is 6000 miles. I am looking to put a CT on it, but can't confirm for sure that there is one that will fit. Like you, I'm not sure a 175 MM tire will fit where the Dunlop MU85 (which is 140 MM) is. Just curious if you've had better luck than me. Thanks, Don from PA

donatalie

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyDraco Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:24 am

Maybe the guys here could help ya...
I know many of them and they just love to help out when it comes to Hacks...
They all use CT on the rears...

ADV Hack Threads....

PS ... free to join also....
LadyDraco
LadyDraco

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2010-09-14

Back to top Go down

New Here. 2004 Ultra with Harley Sidecar. Which Car tire?  Empty What tires were actually used on the 04 Ultra with the sidecar

Post  ckeuper Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:16 am

I am thinking about using car tires on front, back and sidecar. I also have a 04 Ultra Classic with a side car. Right now I have the MU85 B16 on the rear and the MT90 B16 on the front and the sidecar. What were the replacement car tires used?

ckeuper

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum