Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running tires backwards is WRONG

+5
Mark5
Rambler
twin1300
ToMang07
quadancer
9 posters

Go down

Running tires backwards is WRONG Empty Running tires backwards is WRONG

Post  quadancer Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 am

I've had issues with this mainly over the water/tread relationship, but here is more:
CORRECTION: Everyone seems to have posted that old Metzeler FAQ that was RESCINDED due to being incorrect. Metzeler NOW has put THIS up as the corrected statement:
(from Metzeler FAQ)
# Rear tires can be mounted at front wheels?
One should never run a tire backwards. The exception to this rule is if the tire is marked (at the sidewall arrow) as a dual rotation tire. Tires have a tread pattern and tread cap (compound) orientation that is important to the tire's performance.
One should note that the construction differences between a front and rear tire are different in material, shape, and compound so this too could have a negative effect on the performance of the bike. The last thing to look at is the possibility of uneven wear when the tire is used backwards

I just thot I'd set the record straight. I was right all along.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Running tires backwards is WRONG Empty Re: Running tires backwards is WRONG

Post  ToMang07 Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:07 am

quadancer wrote:I've had issues with this mainly over the water/tread relationship, but here is more:
CORRECTION: Everyone seems to have posted that old Metzeler FAQ that was RESCINDED due to being incorrect. Metzeler NOW has put THIS up as the corrected statement:
(from Metzeler FAQ)
# Rear tires can be mounted at front wheels?
One should never run a tire backwards. The exception to this rule is if the tire is marked (at the sidewall arrow) as a dual rotation tire. Tires have a tread pattern and tread cap (compound) orientation that is important to the tire's performance.
One should note that the construction differences between a front and rear tire are different in material, shape, and compound so this too could have a negative effect on the performance of the bike. The last thing to look at is the possibility of uneven wear when the tire is used backwards

I just thot I'd set the record straight. I was right all along.

And because they said it makes it true, right? Suspect

Why don't you ask Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin what they think about putting a car tire on the back of a motorcycle. Laughing

If they tell you not to do it bacause it's bad and scarry will you believe them? Rolling Eyes

There is a lot of BAD information out there, and all the companies want to do is sell tires and CTA. (From CYA, get it?) Shocked
ToMang07
ToMang07

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2010-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:37 pm

What are you going on about? No one said anything about the CT's here, nor were they trying to sell more tires. They merely were answering a FAQ about reversing the direction of the tire on the front when using a back MT.
I personally have little faith anymore in Metzeler as a company after reading so much about tire problems and their lack of support when it happens. But I can't blame the techs for what the company does or does not do.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:17 pm

quadancer wrote:What are you going on about? No one said anything about the CT's here, nor were they trying to sell more tires. They merely were answering a FAQ about reversing the direction of the tire on the front when using a back MT.
I personally have little faith anymore in Metzeler as a company after reading so much about tire problems and their lack of support when it happens. But I can't blame the techs for what the company does or does not do.

Read what i wrote again. No

I am making the point that of course they are going to tell you not to reverse direction, just like they will tell you ya can't put a rear tire on the front, or a car tire on the back. Thay only care about selling tires and covering their collective @$$3$. Shocked

Thats what they do. Rolling Eyes
ToMang07
ToMang07

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2010-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:55 pm

I have to agree with you here. For me, when my BRIDGESTONE S-11 gets here, it will be mounted forward, as the RAIN GROOVES were meant to be used, regardless of any manufacturer's advice about belts and bonding on a tire made to take severe punishment, driving and braking forces.
'Ats my story an' I'm stikkin' to it. 🐰
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:49 pm

quadancer wrote:I have to agree with you here. For me, when my BRIDGESTONE S-11 gets here, it will be mounted forward, as the RAIN GROOVES were meant to be used, regardless of any manufacturer's advice about belts and bonding on a tire made to take severe punishment, driving and braking forces.
'Ats my story an' I'm stikkin' to it. 🐰

+1...that's what we have on Buddha's 1800 and we have the rain grooves facing forward like it suppose to and it does fantastic in all kinds of weather and curves! I am with you quadancer!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Rambler Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:27 am

I never thought of reversing the tire when using a rear tire on front.Since i didn't do that does that mean im going to crash burn or not be able to ride in the rain? if it does im sorry (not) 17k on it and it handles great ...oh it a dunflop white wall. i run a TT205/60/16 on backwith almost 40k on it. vn 200 so there is some weight there
Rambler
Rambler

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:26 am

Look at it this way: that back tire not only brakes like the front (albeit somewhat less torque), but it's carrying every bit as much weight or MORE when it does.
How on earth is that supposed to "come apart" when used in front? If anything, the belting and adhesives on the rear I would expect to be a lot tougher than on the fronts. 🐷
Anyway, no reported failures yet.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark5 Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:39 am

I agree with not running it backwards as the weight and torque of braking is still the same direction. The only difference I can determine from my experience is it won't have the torque in the opposite direction from acceleration on take off. I mean if nothing else the tire is designed for the rear to withstand forces from the "push" from the take off to propel the bike forward and the "pull" on braking slowing it down. If nothing else the design of the rear tire should perform superbly on the front due to its construction of being able to take the forces in both directions. Uni-directional car tires are only uni-directional because of the rain groove not the force exerted under acceleration or deceleration. Am I right?
Mark5
Mark5

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:11 am

I believe you are. Thus far, I can't find any belt-related or cord-related failures on any DD tire running forward OR backwards.
So that leaves us with the choice of running the rain grooves in a dispersal or collective direction.
Guess which one I pick.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Running tires backwards is WRONG Empty tire diretion

Post  Mikeyger Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:43 pm

I just got activated to this site. Today i mounted my first tire by hand. I bought a rear tire and put it on the front I meant to reverse the direction but after i had it all together again i noticed I had the arrow going in the right directionBoth the front and rear are the same size wheel and calls for the same size tire. My question was would it be ok to run the rear dunlope404 on the front without reversing the direction Probably so right? Bike is a nomad!

Mikeyger

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Mike, welcome to the madness.
Don't expect my expertise on this matter. All I can say is search for all that is
written regarding this topic and decide for yourself.
Personally I think you can't go wrong at all.

Robert.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Read enough and you'll leave it alone as is.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:19 am

Mikeyger, are you perhaps on the VRA Forum]VRA Forum. Is so, glad to see you here. If not, glad to see another Vulcan darksider here and suggest you go to my link.

Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Running tires backwards is WRONG Empty tire

Post  Mikeyger Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:25 am

Fly Hello buddy, Yeah this is me. Now I can ask you questions on both sides. Some of your answers to me in the past would fit right in here on the darkside.More ole school here!Begood

Mikeyger

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:28 am

when I run knobbies on front, they tend top wear like a saw blade if I hit too much pavment, at about 50% wear, I reverse the tires, the directional arrow on the front tire on my V-strom is pointing in the wrong direction , I even drilled hole in it for studs and have been over 85 mph with 2 plugs @ 45 psi when the sidewall sez max 35psi

I'm still waiting for it to explode Rolling Eyes
coldweatherfreak
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:23 pm

There's a good point. When I was racing dirtbikes, we'd only get about 5 four hour rides out of a rear. The motocross guys get more out of a practice tire, but have shorter runs and use new rubber to race. So I'd take the skilsaw and put a grinder disc in it, set the depth and re-face the knobs. Then once again. When that wore out, I'd reverse the tire, and later do the refacing again. This way I always had sharp knobs to cut dirt with...and never had one of the tires of ANY brand blow out or come apart on me.
we were hard to catch, believe me.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikeyger Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 pm

I did like you said quadancer and kept the tire going forward must have needed a new tire more than I thought because it steers and handles ten times better than beforeUsed dina beads i had to break the tire back down and just poured the beads in They kept getting clogged up I guess I was pouring them to fast

Mikeyger

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm

You can't just pour the beads into the valve stem. You have to have something to make it vibrate, like the engraver I use, and even that is slow. But well worth the effort. Maybe the wife has something in the drawer?
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikeyger Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:30 pm

That is a good idea But it is done now. I will know when it is time for my back tire Thanks they are working fine!

Mikeyger

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:43 am

Don't forget to put the 'thing' back, or she'll wonder what you were doing with it...
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikeyger Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Got ya covered!

Mikeyger

Back to top Go down