Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

going darkside on 50cc moped stupid or smart?

+2
quadancer
nikomil1
6 posters

Go down

going darkside on 50cc moped stupid or smart? Empty going darkside on 50cc moped stupid or smart?

Post  nikomil1 Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Ok guys as you have seen in the topic the question is: How stupid/smart is to use car tyre on a small custom bike with a 50cc engine? At the moment i have the OEM chinese made tyre 4.5/12 and someone recommended me to change it to a 5/12 car tyre. the moped is made to look like chopper but it has very small engine oh 2kw power and goes only 30-40 mph Thats 45-60km/h.

this is where you can see the moped itself
http://www.regal-raptor.com/eng/products_read.asp?id=14&bid=4

if anyone wants to contact me on my email nikomil1@yahoo.com with his/her thoughts it would be great

thanks!

Nikola

nikomil1

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

going darkside on 50cc moped stupid or smart? Empty Re: going darkside on 50cc moped stupid or smart?

Post  quadancer Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 pm

What would be the point? I'd doubt you'd put 5000 miles on it anytime soon or do anything performance oriented. My 2c worth.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

going darkside on 50cc moped stupid or smart? Empty i forgot to mention the point

Post  nikomil1 Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:17 am

Hi Guys, forgot to mention why i considered the darkside option. it is because in 300 miles i had flat tire twice and it is 3 times more trouble and more expensive to unmount the rear wheel, take the wheel to the vulcanizer who might want or might not want to repair it. and as much as i know i never had a flat tire with my car when driving in the city (unless of-course i hit some hard metal nails) now these 2 flat ones i got just from some thorn or something wooden .. something that grows ... far less strong than a metal nail.

so the reason why i consider it? = possibly less flat tires in future if i choose the option. i am just worried about if the moped engine will be strong enough to run with the car tire, i read somewhere the tire is heavier and it bothers the engine more.

there fore please share your knowledge and expirience about 55cc mini-chopper with 2.1 KW engine power running on a darkside with a 130/12 tire?

Cheers!

Nikola

nikomil1

Back to top Go down

going darkside on 50cc moped stupid or smart? Empty Re: going darkside on 50cc moped stupid or smart?

Post  twin1300 Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:35 am

Go for it!
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:45 am

Can't hurt to try it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  nikomil1 Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:35 am

jedishon wrote:Can't hurt to try it.

Jerry

@Jerry ... Oh it can It can hurt a lot if you are expirienced as i am lol! (almost no experience here) For 20 years i drove bicycles and i love to go as fast as i can. That's why i bought myself a 50cc moped this time (not to kill myself with a bigger bike).

For those willing to see this is "my little one" https://i.servimg.com/u/f31/15/51/40/30/112.jpg

and this is the link to the producer web page http://www.regal-raptor.com/eng/products_read.asp?id=14&bid=4&types=4

Still waiting for your opinions

N.

nikomil1

Back to top Go down

going darkside on 50cc moped stupid or smart? Empty re going darkside on 50cc moped smart or stupid

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:59 am

If the darkside doesn,t work out try the foam fill like the use in lawn tractor tires ,I know of one that used it a few years ago and it seemed to work fine,no more flats peroid. Laughing Laughing
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  MAS Tequila Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Why not? I say 'Do It' and see how you like it.

The CT will have thicker rubber than the Chinese scooter tire, so maybe it will hold up better.

Let us know how it turns out.

MT
MAS Tequila
MAS Tequila

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  nikomil1 Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:05 am

MAS Tequila wrote:Why not? I say 'Do It' and see how you like it.

The CT will have thicker rubber than the Chinese scooter tire, so maybe it will hold up better.

Let us know how it turns out.

MT

Thanks for the encouraging guys. The Chinese tire holds for now but next time i'll have to unmount it then it definitely goes to the garbage, and i already found myself a nice "SAVA" 135/12 which is not that expensive (around 30 euros)

"SAVA" may not be the top of the brands but i am very satisfied how they behave on the car allowing me somewhere over 40-50. 000 km which for the driver like me means about 5 years driving.

Once i try the new car tire i'll write back

Nikola

nikomil1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum