Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High speed wobble

+6
Doc
maxmarchant@bellsouth.net
jedishon
W.Hack
Larry Simpson
duelxer
10 posters

Go down

High speed wobble Empty High speed wobble

Post  duelxer Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:44 pm

I have been noticing a high speed wobble on the bike and I was wondering if anybody else ran into the same issue. I am using a Yokohama AVID H4S 205/65/15, I have about 10,000 miles on it from when I put it on last year. I do not do a lot of highway travel so it is not very often I get above 75. I have noticed that once I get above 85-90 the rear end starts to wobble and I need to back off the throttle. It is worse if I am in a turn. I think there may be a couple of issues at work. Maybe I got unlucky in my tire choice, the sidewall may not be strong enough and I think running this wide a tire in the narrow 1300 rim may add to the issue. When I put the CT on I switched over to a set of C rims/tires and I still have my spoke rims/tires in the garage. Today I put the old rims/tires back on and took it out on the highway, wobble was gone. I am using dynabeads in both sets of rims. Anybody else ever run into this issue. I think I either have to try a different tire or try and do a foots mod so that I can run the wider 1800 rim.

Last edited by duelxer on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
duelxer
duelxer

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

High speed wobble Empty re high speed wobble

Post  Larry Simpson Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:21 am

Mine will do it around 80 if I let my rear pressure get below 30. running GYTT 205-60-16. Very Happy Very Happy
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

High speed wobble Empty Re: High speed wobble

Post  W.Hack Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:14 am

I've got a wobble as well. Changed the steering stem bearings as well as the shock bushings. I'm also using dyna beads. 3oz. in rear and 2oz in the front. New Metzeler me 880 in front. Only at higher rates of speed and in corners at times. Less noticeable with the wife on the back. General Grabber 205/70/15 is what I'm running on the back. Bearings are also tight in the rear and front rims. Rear is a new mag.
W.Hack
W.Hack

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:14 am

Most rear wobble starts at the shock bushings. Just put in the 4th set in mine, and its running smooth again.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  maxmarchant@bellsouth.net Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:44 am

I had the same wobble in my front, I was also running a Metz 880. I brought up my air pressure to 40lbs and added more Dyna Beads for a total of 3 oz. Everything is running smooth now.

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  duelxer Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:51 am

I have about 2.5 - 3 oz of dynabeads in the CT. I recently replaced the shock bushings. I replaced the steering bearings 2 years ago. I try to keep 40 psi in the tires. The bearings in the wheel check out fine, the flange bearing is good The wobble disappeared when I put the old rims and tires back on. It is either the rim or the tire. The most obvious seems to be the tire. I wonder of those getting the wobble how many are running the narrower 1300 rim and how many have a speed rated tire.
duelxer
duelxer

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:12 am

You may have a lateral inbalance problem with the tire.
It is a problem in a low profile tire that dynabeads can't balance out.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:06 am

duelxer wrote: I wonder of those getting the wobble how many are running the narrower 1300 rim and how many have a speed rated tire.

I run the narrow rim on the 1300 and it's not a speed rated tire like some performs tires and my second one like it in 4 years and counting and have ridden plenty of times in triple digits with Smokey and friends...with no issues.

I think you may have a tire going bad on you or the shock bushings or the bearings in the rim you are using. JMO

......................bobby

/
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

High speed wobble Empty Wobble

Post  starider Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:19 am

I experiene some wobble at high speed. It's obviously tire pressue. So slow down.
The VTX gulps fuel at fast freeway speeds because it's geared too low. And I hate giving my money to the internation fuel consortums......
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Code Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:37 pm

pull back on the bars and say a pray

Code

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  jaarch Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:12 pm

Mine had a wobble and when I changed out the front tire, the wobble was gone. I also keep up on my shock bushings and I have the all balls steering bearings installed. Good luck!

jaarch

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum