Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a New Tire After Today

5 posters

Go down

Need a New Tire After Today Empty Need a New Tire After Today

Post  simpleman77 Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Riding to a B.A.C.A. meeting this morning with a buddy. Riding 80-85 M.P.H. along I-4 north of Maitalnd, coming up on Altamonte Springs when I felt a little wiggle out of the rear of the bike. My buddy was on his Sportster about 30-40 feet ahead of me. I wasn't sure if it was the old rear tire catching a road groove or the tire was going down. I wiggled the handlebars just a bit to see if the rear of the bike would walk to the side, and it did. Tire was flat.

I'm on the inside lane of a four lane Eastbound stretch of interstate and in moderate traffic. I immediately let off the throttle and eyeballed traffic in an attempt to get to the outside lane and on a safe shoulder. Not happening. As I try to turn right at around 40-50 M.P.H. the Beast almost dumps. I pull off to the left and get stopped. My buddy didn't see that I wasn't there until about a mile further down the road. I get stopped, kickstand down, off the bike, helmet and gloves off and set my butt on the guardrail. I immediately realize that God Himself had His hand on me or I would be plastered all over the pavement for 500 yards.

I check the tire, lost its bead in the slow down. Still haven't looked to see why it initially went down. Took about fifteen minutes, talked to my buddy on his cell and tried to calm down so as to come up with a plan. My buddy went on to the BACA meeting, there was nothing that his coming back would have done. I walk across the interstate and find some shade. Bring up towing companies in Altamonte Springs on my phones internet. Call the first one. Get William at Airborne Towing. He refused the tow because he didn't have the front wheel holder. I talked him into coming anyway, told him that I'd take responsibility for any damage. He went to a store and bought ratchet straps and came out. We loaded up, strapped the Beast down and got on the road.

33 miles and $161 later, I'm home, gulping down Bud Light to calm my spirit down. I explain to the wife what happened and the potential deadly ramifications. I do this because I want her to fully understand and comprehend the dangers of what I love to do and do for fun. She is o.k. with it.

2 1/2 years and 28,000 miles of riding (both low numbers) and I am proud of myself for recognizing an issue on the road, at speed, realizing the possible deadly consequences and remaining calm enough through it to come out the other side alive, unscathed and in one piece.

I have learned from this. First, replace the damned tires when I buy a bike. I knew these tires were old. They rode like shit and I continued to ride them anyway. The Beast will get a new set, front and rear. Second, it is good to have a phone with texting and internet, no matter the cost. That saved my butt from spending several hours out on the side of the interstate. As it is, I only spent just under an hour out there. Third, ride in my comfort zone. The speeds that we were going were too fast for my comfort. I was o.k. and the Beast had no problem keeping up (which is why I was enjoying showing my ass), but I was about 10-15 M.P.H. faster than I was comfortable going. Just ten minutes earlier we were running 90+ on the Florida Turnpike, scary crap.

Will be putting a c/t on this week. Any help with sizing will be appreciated. Looking at a 165/80/15. Might go 185 if I can. 1985 Shadow VT1100.

simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Need a New Tire After Today Empty Re: Need a New Tire After Today

Post  ToMang07 Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Glad you made it out ok. Let us know why it went on ya, and what to look for when you figure it out.

Ride Safe.
ToMang07
ToMang07

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2010-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Whew....that was close! We do accept our risk to do what we love to do and continue to ride! Glad it all turned out OK and learned some lessons from it.

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:01 pm

You guys missed it. He had a 7 year old mt on his bike.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm

jedishon wrote:You guys missed it. He had a 7 year old mt on his bike.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. Trying to keep my stupidity appearance to a minimum. What a Face
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:10 pm

simpleman77 wrote:
jedishon wrote:You guys missed it. He had a 7 year old mt on his bike.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. Trying to keep my stupidity appearance to a minimum. What a Face

Leave it to Jerry to state the obvious.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down