Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bit the Bullet!

+10
vtxreaper
smokey2255
nodakbassmaster
greazman
spud1800r
Doc
t-bone22
RedTide
twin1300
ToMang07
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bit the Bullet! Empty Bit the Bullet!

Post  ToMang07 Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:54 am

Well, Im lookin at biting the bullet after getting 4k miles on my MEtz ME880...and the center is pretty much bald, already. Suspect

So, I'm looking at a GYTT 205-60-16. study Figured I'd post here instead of starting a Flame war on VTXOA, lol!

Been lurking on the board... I guess at this point my biggest fear about darkside is the Potential Insurance Nightmare. affraid

Basically looking for some tips, to make sure I have everything covered:

Im a bigger rider, at 330lbs, and ride 2up ocassionally w/ my 130lb GF.

Bike setup as follows:

2002 VTX1800C:
1300FD
Chopped Fender Bracket
12.5" Progressive 440's (STD...need HD's)
Progressive GW Fork Springs
MTC Clutch

I'm def. looking for that better tire...need more mileage. The M/C tires are too damn expensive for only getting 1 year (Or Less. Suspect )

Am I missing anything? Any tips on getting the tire mounted/balanced?

IF I go the Dynabead route; I will use Nitrogen....I don't want moisture in the tire, I do ocasionally run at "Excessive" spped...and do not want any high-speed wobbles. I'm just trying to figure out who I can con into mounting a C/T on a M/C rim....so far no one wants to touch it. Might just buy the HF kit and do it myself. 🐰

Thx folks!

Last edited by ToMang07 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ToMang07
ToMang07

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2010-07-03

Back to top Go down

Bit the Bullet! Empty Re: Bit the Bullet!

Post  twin1300 Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:01 am

Well congrats on your choice to go to the darkside and welcome to our site.

The GYTT is a good choice and so is the GO19 Bridgestone.

Quite a few of us have had accidents with the cars tires.....not the tires fault. I got pushed into another lane at Christmas time and front tire when out from under me on a panic stop and another time rear ended and insurance paid every time so far.

That's the allure of the darkside...if you ride hard like we do and get only a half a year out of a mt, then you have come to the right place. Heck, that's how I first went to the darkside 4 1/2 years ago. Then after you go, you find out that it does a bunch of things a ton better than the motorcycle tire and with more confidence.

If you go with Dyna beads, we use 78% nitrogen in ours and they work great.... Very Happy Very Happy Unless you can get all the air out of your tire and that would mean pulling a vaccum and that would collapse your tire and pull it off the bead...100% nitrogen is NOT attainable. Heck air already is 78% nitrogen. But it won't hurt you to put 100% in it, so if you think it helps, go far it.

Now, if you want to get really brave, you can use air soft pellets instead of dyna beads.

Thanks..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:11 am

twin1300 wrote:Well congrats on your choice to go to the darkside and welcome to our site.

The GYTT is a good choice and so is the GO19 Bridgestone.

Quite a few of us have had accidents with the cars tires.....not the tires fault. I got pushed into another lane at Christmas time and front tire when out from under me on a panic stop and another time rear ended and insurance paid every time so far.

That's the allure of the darkside...if you ride hard like we do and get only a half a year out of a mt, then you have come to the right place. Heck, that's how I first went to the darkside 4 1/2 years ago. Then after you go, you find out that it does a bunch of things a ton better than the motorcycle tire and with more confidence.

If you go with Dyna beads, we use 78% nitrogen in ours and they work great.... Very Happy Very Happy Unless you can get all the air out of your tire and that would mean pulling a vaccum and that would collapse your tire and pull it off the bead...100% nitrogen is NOT attainable. Heck air already is 78% nitrogen. But it won't hurt you to put 100% in it, so if you think it helps, go far it.

Now, if you want to get really brave, you can use air soft pellets instead of dyna beads.

Thanks..................bobby

Haha...yeah....NOT brave enough for the pellets....Im not 100% about the beads! affraid

I guess my worry about insurance is IF I get into an accident, (Esp. IF it is "MY FAULT,") that the insurance would try to deny coverage because of the car tire. Shocked

Insurance companies are shady as it is. But I am sick of 4-6k out of a tire. Suspect

Pricing them out....Looks like its gonna be about $150 for a GYTT..... MAY be able to get one used tho....need to call them Monday. study

ToMang07
ToMang07

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:40 am

Why you scared of the beads and NOT afraid of the car tire!!!.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Some folks will think that doesn't make sense.

Here's a vid to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

...............bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bit the Bullet! Empty Re: Getting ready to Bite the Bullet.......

Post  RedTide Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:54 am

As twin1300 pointed out thare really no issues going to the DS. CTs perform as well as MTs (and there are no stats to the contrary), so unless you plan on doing GP racing, which I doubt is going to happen with a C there is not a downside. A friend of mine has done the Tail of the Dragon many times with his DS '02 800 Retro. I am about to go to the DS with my '03 1800 Retro. It is a 1st for me with this bike, but I have done with a number of other bikes in the past. Never have I had an issue with anything. They do ride and handle a bit diffently (very much to the positive IMO), but that is to be expected. After a few miles you will probably have wished you had done it a lot sooner. And no, the world will not explode and be sucked into a black hole as some would have you believe.

Even with your size, etc. the 440 STDs should do the job fine. This will also be the 1st time I use Dyna Beads too. I am a bit skeptical, but ppl with tons more experience and know how than I tell me they are the cat's meow. What the hey, ya will not know till you try them for yourself.

As far as getting the DS tire mounted most stealerships will not do it. Find a custom bike shop or a mom and pop operation, there are lots of em around.

RT

RedTide

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  t-bone22 Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Went with the GYTTT 205/60/16 I'm on a 2003 1800C so far I'm very pleased with the way it handles and rides. The beads
works great !! it never felt so smooth. Go for it...I to was tired of 200 plus every year also...it's a little weird getting used to but 100 miles and your hooked..The bike will ride better, handle better, and looks dam cool to boot. just look..
Bit the Bullet! 100_3357
Bit the Bullet! 100_3358
Join us ..and learn the force young Jedi come to the Darkside........

t-bone22

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Your insurance company cannot deny coverage except for situations that are SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED in your policy. Things like racing, nuclear war, etc. are spelled out in my policy as excluded from coverage. There is no language that specifies what type of tire I may or may not use and therefore the insurance company is legally required to assume liability.

I have run Dynabeads for about 14,000 miles and am extremely pleased with their performance.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  spud1800r Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm sorry, I was watching your avatar...did you have a question??
spud1800r
spud1800r

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:53 am

Well, I officially ordered a GYTT 205-60-16 for $150.00, should be in wends!
ToMang07
ToMang07

Back to top Go down

Post  greazman Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 pm

That Avatar is distracting!!! Got anymore??? Laughing greazman(Rich) Cool
greazman
greazman

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:11 pm

greazman wrote:That Avatar is distracting!!! Got anymore??? Laughing greazman(Rich) Cool

Bit the Bullet! 4400075636_7a38029f22_o

Bit the Bullet! Bounce

Bit the Bullet! 46604793.jiggle
ToMang07
ToMang07

Back to top Go down

Post  t-bone22 Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:12 am

Boy is it hard to type with all that jiggling around What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face

t-bone22

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:17 pm

GYTT 205-60-16 is officially on the rim.....Took about 45 min TOTAL after talking it over with the tech....we used an older machine that had special plastic feet so it didnt scratch anything. Took our time, I had watch EVERYTHING, and turns out it was good I did. I explained what the dynabeads (3oz) were and they shrug it off as "we've seen them before." When seating the tire they were gonna leave the beads IN THE BAGS. Mad

Anywho, they used VERY LITTLE "lube" when seating it (at my request) ....it actually seated pretty quickly....I want to say 60-70PSI. One went around 40PSI. Shocked
(My METZ took almost 100PSI, for comparison.)

They were pretty cool about it.... They have never done it before, and I can honestly say I had the attention of the ENTIRE staff... It was kinda funny...they all "HAD TO SEE" if it would work, lol! Laughing

On a side note, the owner made a comment to me about my Metz tire... (He's a HD Owner).... He stated very definately that the tire appeared to have worn out as quick as it did due to overinflation. I always ran 38-40PSI as reccomended by EVERYBODY on VTXOA.....Its working fine on the front tire.....just not so much on the rear, obviously. Evil or Very Mad

I will get out of work around 9 tonight, and I spect to be home a little late...So it will be on late tonight WITH PICS....

I cant wait! What a Face

ToMang07
ToMang07

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Congrats!! Take it easy on the first 100 miles or so and make sure the mold release is off. Then ride it like you stole and give us a 500 mile review?

.........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:34 pm

twin1300 wrote:Congrats!! Take it easy on the first 100 miles or so and make sure the mold release is off. Then ride it like you stole and give us a 500 mile review?

.........................bobby

Absolutely. I am off Fri-Mon.....and I plan to put as many as possible on.....

CANT WAIT!!!!
ToMang07
ToMang07

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:40 pm

By the way.....

WHERES MY COOKIES!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

lol!
ToMang07
ToMang07

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:50 pm

IT IS ON!!! cheers

Went for my first virgin ride...and all I can say is WOW....VERY NICE!!!

You can fell the difference where it has the "upright" effect.... It seems to want to upright itself a little more than a m/c tire does. A TAD more effort when counter-steering.....NOT MUCH.

I did some figure 8's and circles...NO difference as far as performance from a M/C tire... but you CAN feel a difference. Suspect

I LOVE IT!!!!!! ❤

2 big, BID differences I noticed over a M/C:

1: handles INCREDIBLY better than a M/C tire on dirt/sand. WOW! Shocked
2: Burnouts are VERY HARD TO DO! TOO MUCH GRIP! Mad

lol!

Bit the Bullet! 4f06ec72
Bit the Bullet! D078b4f1
Bit the Bullet! Dc577cc5
Bit the Bullet! 69c42f2b
Bit the Bullet! 907f24f7
ToMang07
ToMang07

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:16 am

congrats! Glad you like it! cheers Cool
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:46 am

Congrats, and welcome. Now about that avatar ........... can you have her delivered to me??????? Thinking about 10 minutes ought to bring on the big heart attack. Laughing Twisted Evil

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 am

Welcome to our side. The C/T is by far the best upgrade I have done to my bike.
Enjoy the ride.
Also, that is the best avatar I have ever seen. I hope she is not related to you.
Like others have stated, very distracting!!

REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:12 am

that's a good thought on using very little lube along with dynabeads. I love what beads did for my Heritage. I didn't even KNOW I had vibrations, until putting them in!
If my ol' lady sees your avatar on the screen, it's gonna be WWIII in here! affraid
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:14 am

quadancer wrote:that's a good thought on using very little lube along with dynabeads. I love what beads did for my Heritage. I didn't even KNOW I had vibrations, until putting them in!
If my ol' lady sees your avatar on the screen, it's gonna be WWIII in here! affraid

Haha....I'm GLAD my lady isn't very internet saavy, lol! Shocked
ToMang07
ToMang07

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:29 am

Glad you made it to the darkside. Dont forget a 500-1000 mile ride report.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  t-bone22 Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Boy that avatar sure jumps out at ya .....now what was I talking about?????

t-bone22

Back to top Go down

Post  joe mama Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:37 pm

This is the secone tire on my bike and its all some even in the rain it handles great... best of luck and WELCOME to THE DARKSIDE.....
joe mama
joe mama

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next