Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1986 vt1100c - running poorly - Fixed

2 posters

Go down

1986 vt1100c - running poorly - Fixed Empty 1986 vt1100c - running poorly - Fixed

Post  Nickh Thu May 06, 2010 8:23 am

Ok, I'm pretty sure I need to rebuild my carbs but I want to make sure there isn't any other problem before I start. I have a 1986 VT1100C shadow with 12800 miles one it, I'm fairly sure the carb has never had work done. It has been running great for the past three months, I had to run some Seafoam through it a couple of times at first but then no problems at all.

Anyways, yesterday I was riding home from work, I pulled off of the road to light a cigarette, never shut my bike off, pulled back onto the highway and had no power. Low rpm's are fine, and low speed is fine but when I twist the throttle there is no power and the exhaust from the right side (front cyclinder) is very loud and when I let off the throttle I get some after fire in the left side exhaust. If I take it easy I can get up to speed pretty decently and everything sounds fine, but the temperature gauge drops too fast at highway speeds and runs normal at low speeds or idle.

It feels like I'm driving on one cyclinder except when the rpm's are under 2000. It started right up this morning too. and one other thing I noticed, when it's warmed up and I open the choke, the rpm's shoot up to 3000.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Nickh on Fri May 07, 2010 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Nickh

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Back to top Go down

1986 vt1100c - running poorly - Fixed Empty Re: 1986 vt1100c - running poorly - Fixed

Post  Nickh Thu May 06, 2010 8:56 am

Ok, I went out and checked for lose lines or connectors and I couldn't find anything. I also checked the spark jump at idle by dropping a small metal bracket into the plug wire and holding is close to the bike, shocked myself all four times too, but I was getting a good spark out of all four plugs. The spark was jumping well between a half to a quarter of an inch and it was a bright blue or orange spark depending on how far I held it away from the ground. So I don't think my coils are bad unless it's only affected at higher rpms's. Pulling each individual wire didn't seem to effect how well it was running either.

Nickh

Back to top Go down

1986 vt1100c - running poorly - Fixed Empty Re: 1986 vt1100c - running poorly - Fixed

Post  Nickh Fri May 07, 2010 10:05 am

It turns out my fuel lines were leaking and let air into the filter, it was vapor locked, replaced the lines and filter and it runs great now.

Nickh

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri May 07, 2010 11:03 am

Nickh wrote:It turns out my fuel lines were leaking and let air into the filter, it was vapor locked, replaced the lines and filter and it runs great now.

Very Happy
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum