Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedometer/Odometer/Trip Meter

3 posters

Go down

Speedometer/Odometer/Trip Meter Empty Speedometer/Odometer/Trip Meter

Post  ckilmer75 Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:00 am

Hey guys,

It seems like it's just one issue after another for me. My Speedometer/Odometer/Trip Meter stopped working yesterday. I took the wheel off to check the speed sensor and it was okay. I took the cable off the sensor and pushed the bike forward and noticed it was definitely turning the little part that plugs into the cable. So what else could it be? Has anyone had this problem and has a solution or another troubleshooting step I could use to narrow down the problem? I'm on a 2002 VT1100c Shadow Spirit. Mechanical Odo/Speedo/Trip.

Could it have simply come disconnected up inside of the Meter itself? I have not looked yet to see how easy it is to open up the meter housing to check. I'm at work so I can't get to it at the moment. I just hoped someone here had some guidance.

Thanks for the info guys,

Chris
ckilmer75
ckilmer75

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Back to top Go down

Speedometer/Odometer/Trip Meter Empty Re: Speedometer/Odometer/Trip Meter

Post  horseman8m Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:06 am

first , whet make / model / year and have you checked the ground with a meter.
an Ohm meter will help,, if it is the type that has a rotating cable then out it back together and then disconnect it from the back of the speedometer and role the bike again to see if the cable is broke inside the housing.
good luck,
horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ckilmer75 Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 am

ckilmer75 wrote:Hey guys,

It seems like it's just one issue after another for me. My Speedometer/Odometer/Trip Meter stopped working yesterday. I took the wheel off to check the speed sensor and it was okay. I took the cable off the sensor and pushed the bike forward and noticed it was definitely turning the little part that plugs into the cable. So what else could it be? Has anyone had this problem and has a solution or another troubleshooting step I could use to narrow down the problem? I'm on a 2002 VT1100c Shadow Spirit. Mechanical Odo/Speedo/Trip.

Could it have simply come disconnected up inside of the Meter itself? I have not looked yet to see how easy it is to open up the meter housing to check. I'm at work so I can't get to it at the moment. I just hoped someone here had some guidance.

Thanks for the info guys,

Chris

The year/make/model and speedometer type was in my op :-)

Thanks for the response. I'll check it out when I get home. In regards to disconnecting it from the back of the Speedo, is it just a case of unscrewing it? I don't want to break anything else. :-)
ckilmer75
ckilmer75

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:48 am

the shadow is easy to undo , just a coller unscrew and it slips off the back ,(at least the older ones were)
sorry i didn't see the m/m/y on your post i was thinking of whet it could be on most bikes.
I had a 1988 shadow and a 1982 silver wing both had the replacable speedometer cable and if not lubed would break and the bottom half would just spin inside the housing, the good thing was they were cheep to replace the inner cable.
let us know whet you find, it can help someone else with the same problem ,
have fun,
horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Speedometer/Odometer/Trip Meter Empty ..

Post  ckilmer75 Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:00 am

Yeah, I pulled the cable off the meter. I just had to use some pliers to get it started. The inner cable was definitely broken. Thanks for the info. I just need to go buy a new one. Hopefully this is the last thing that needs to be done for awhile :-)
ckilmer75
ckilmer75

Back to top Go down

Post  Zyrock Mon May 31, 2010 9:54 pm

I have the same problem. I have an 02 Shadow Spirit 750. I have power to the speedo/odometer but it's not logging miles. Pulled off the sensor and the cable is spinning. Had the sensor replaced a year ago with a used one. Could it have crapped out again or is it something else?
Zyrock
Zyrock

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum