Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car tires vs Motorcycle tires on Bikes

+6
AD5ME
Badmoon
wayne
jedishon
nodakbassmaster
Wolfman
10 posters

Go down

Car tires vs Motorcycle tires on Bikes Empty Car tires vs Motorcycle tires on Bikes

Post  Wolfman Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Alright here is a take a good and long time friend of mine gave me. He works in r&d at a major tire manufacturer here in my current state of residence, he can not make an official statement for fear of reprisal, but the major reason manufacturers want us to run mc tires is ready? MONEY!!! Yep not safty, not handling, ever wonder why mc tire milage sucks compared to ct's? He stated the modern ct with a good tread pattern suitable for, mind this, a lighter vehicle, should work well with most cruisers with some mods needed in handling. Yep, they like selling their tires because they dont manufacture as many so the milage is designed to suffer. High milage mc tires are easily made but not practicle for the manufacturer because cost of production must be offset by a higher demand. So they build them to wear out. So his advice, a very reliable tire suitible for a small light weight sports car, think mg not Ferarri, should work well, just watch for hydroplaining, as the wider tread surface on rainy roads could be the biggest problem. Just the input of a friend who stopped by today to check out my bike.
Catch cha on the road. Wolfman

Wolfman

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Back to top Go down

Car tires vs Motorcycle tires on Bikes Empty Re: Car tires vs Motorcycle tires on Bikes

Post  nodakbassmaster Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:50 pm

interesting! Thanks for passing it on...
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Car tires vs Motorcycle tires on Bikes Empty Re: Car tires vs Motorcycle tires on Bikes

Post  jedishon Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:35 am

Imagine that. Money. I never would have thought of that.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:54 pm

And the car tire works better in the rain than a mc tire.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:36 am

I can see this side of the arguement. Still wont put a MC tire on the back of my bike. No reason too. Cant wear this one out, but tryin.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  AD5ME Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 am

Got mine on the bike Friday evening..... Weather went south Saturday.. can wait to try it out.... Michelin Hydroedge 205/70R15....
AD5ME
AD5ME

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am

and the closest mfg near the original poster,, Mich. in spartanburg/greenville sc

that's nice to know from your r&d guy

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:39 am

That's exactly what we have been saying all along! It's about the money!

I haven't bought a motorcycle rear tire in over 5 years!!!! Razz

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:16 am

What I've thought for all these years.
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:07 pm

I just rolled 10,000 miles on my Federal and it still looks like it has another 10-15,000 miles left. I love it.

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolfman Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Well he just cant say official, but he did mention a tire tested had surpassed most milage expectations..he wouldnt say the exact miles they got in tests but it exceeded their best comps ct in milage, and it was for a bike, makes ya wonder huh. Wolfman

Wolfman

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum