Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

frame stretching / moving rear wheel back

4 posters

Go down

frame stretching / moving rear wheel back Empty frame stretching / moving rear wheel back

Post  WacoBill Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:14 am

I have a 2001 Suzuki Intruder 1400 and the frame is about 6 to 8 inches too short. It is a great bike, but I just wish it was longer in the rear.

I have to figure a way to either cut the frame and weld extensions into it or cut the swingarm & driveshaft and extend those (with a corresponding relocation of the top mount for the shock absorbers).

Has anyone seen/heard anything like this? I expect to pay 2 or 3 thousand to have the work done to the parts and then I'll be the one wrenching it together.

My goal is to have my legs almost straight and not have my ankles past the front downtubes.

Thanks in advance.

WacoBill
WacoBill
WacoBill

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Back to top Go down

frame stretching / moving rear wheel back Empty Re: frame stretching / moving rear wheel back

Post  twin1300 Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:45 am

Hey Waco,

You aint asking for much huh? WOW! How about www.brandXbikeworks.com He's in Lafeyette, La. and has won some awards in Daytona Bike week with some of their metric work.

.....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

frame stretching / moving rear wheel back Empty Re: frame stretching / moving rear wheel back

Post  Muntz Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:29 pm

To me the scariest part of that mod would be extending the driveshaft. That thing has got to be damn near perfect.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:26 pm

Muntz wrote:To me the scariest part of that mod would be extending the driveshaft. That thing has got to be damn near perfect.

It's got to be even closer than that scratch
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:51 am

smokey2255 wrote:
Muntz wrote:To me the scariest part of that mod would be extending the driveshaft. That thing has got to be damn near perfect.

It's got to be even closer than that scratch

How much closer? Suspect
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

frame stretching / moving rear wheel back Empty mods by pros

Post  WacoBill Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:54 am

sorry if I was misleading in stating I would have to cut and weld - I'll be the one paying a driveshaft company to cut and weld and balance and smooth, etc. I'll use a metalworking company for the swingarm and driveshaft cover.

My work will be limited to unbolting and rebolting parts, rewiring, etc. I have not welded since the 5th grade and I have been out of school for more than a couple years now. Wink

On IA there is a guy called metricmuscle who has already done this, but only 2 3/4 inches - I am much more ambitious. He did it as part of a power upgrade - I want to achieve an actual stretch.

It may never happen - but if it doesn't I'll probably be looking again for a longer bike in 2 years.

*pout*
WacoBill
WacoBill

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum