Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rain gear

+6
nodakbassmaster
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
moparmandjh
Steve-O
simpleman77
Oldsmobility
10 posters

Go down

Rain gear Empty Rain gear

Post  Oldsmobility Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm interested in hearing what setups some of you guys have for wet weather riding. I've had my share of soaked rides, but don't have any sort of gear dedicated to making those rides less miserable. Are there any products that are absolutely must haves, and what about products that aren't worth buying.

Cold weather gear is another point of interest. What gloves is everybody using and how well are they working?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Rain gear Empty Re: Rain gear

Post  simpleman77 Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:32 pm

I bought a one piece rain suit from Jafrum.com. Paid around $40. Very good investment. Has the necessary reinforcements where needed and keeps me dry in the most intense downpours.

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:33 pm

More info on this one piece for $40.

I have a two piece and am looking for an upgrade.

Must be two piece
Pants must have stirrups
Pants must not melt on tail pipes
Top must be high visibility.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  moparmandjh Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:49 pm

http://www.froggtoggsoutlet.com/?gclid=CJbg1Iijtp0CFQ-bnAod0XhIkA

I love my Frogg Toggs, but they don't hold up very well on pipes. A local bike shop sells a slip on right leg cover that doesn't melt, I want to try one of those too.
Doc
moparmandjh
moparmandjh

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-12-19

http://www.geocities.com/moparmandjh/rflpokerrun

Back to top Go down

Post  moparmandjh Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:02 pm

Did a quick google, I may have found my next rainsuit....
http://rayprice.com/merch-rain.htm
Doc
moparmandjh
moparmandjh

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-12-19

http://www.geocities.com/moparmandjh/rflpokerrun

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:06 pm

I've got Nelson /Riggs and First Gear the First Gear cost alittle more but worth it IMO.
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:35 pm

I liked the high vis suit. Wonder how heat resistant that really is? My current right pant leg is no longer water proof....and my pipes need cleaning again.

Think I'll do some shopping at the bike show this November.... Usually some good deals there.

Forgot to mention that my pants and jacket make nice wind breakers when I get caught in the cold....
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:03 pm

I have Frog Togs, but haven't ever gotten to use them Rolling Eyes , I've heard of people sewing a peice of an ironing board cover on the inside of the right leg to keep them from melting on pipes...
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:44 pm

You could get some leather gaiters to wear over a rain suit to protect it. Cheaper than dirt sells surplus ones for like 5 bucks.

Are those Frog Toggs satisfactory or would I be better off shelling out the big bucks for a nicer set?
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  daves1300s Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:52 am

The Frogg Toggs work really well and can be had for around $60. They do not have stirrups but do have good velcro around the ankles and the suit breaths well to keep you from basting in your own juices. Rode 160 miles in April with driving rain all the way and only had about 2 inches of the bottom of each pant leg wet, that was my fault for not putting the velcro tight enough around my ankles. Over all for the price not a bad suit, on my VTX 1300 with the original pipes (drilled) the melted leg thing is not an issue.

Dave

daves1300s

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:04 am

I got a suit from Jafrum. Frog togs has a motorcycle suit with the leg patching already there.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Rogers Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:32 am

I have Frogg Toggs. Bout mine ebfore a trip this summer. Had my dounts if they would hold up or not but I put them to the ultimate test this summer.

First off, I have stock pipes on my VTX 1300R - never had an issue where they would be against the pipes.

Rode 3600+ miles in 12 days. First day rode 6 hours in the rain. My Frog Toggs had elastic around the bottom. I never had to strap them down to keep them from riding up. Only thing that was wet an cold was my feet. They fit over my jacket/jeans everything. Easy to put on quick too.

2nd day, rode through 2 hail storms and heavy rains. Kept Dry.

Another day we rode through Utah on Rt. 12. About 9000 feet, drizzly and 34-38 degrees all day. Great windbreaker and kept me dry.
Last 2 days wee hit rains coming through Nebraska and Iowa. Heavy rains just as we crossed into Iowa, 80mph wind gusts stopped us for the night.

Not a tear, not a broken stitch. Been very happy with them.

I do know a guy that had a problem with his though, right at the crotch he always gets wet but you can see there was a manufacturing defect where the seams didn't line up right. I give him a hard time.. "Seams...yeah right..." Wink

They break the wind great and are big enough to fit over your gear. Yet they are thin enough that they breathe well and pack down to a really small size. I keep mine on the bike all of the time.

I always carry spare gloves. I also carry the latex gloves you can get at the doctors office or the painting section of the hardware store. I usually just put them on under my gloves, My buddy wears them over his gloves. Just get a bigger size.

I use pledge or generic lemon furniture police on my windshield and visor. Bugs wipe off easy and keeps the rain rolling off easy. Just apply it once a day before I head out when on a raod trip. Everyone has said Ran-x will eventually haze your visor/windshield so I have avoided that.

To waterproof my boots I use SNO-EEZE. Works great unless you are doing 65mph in the rain for more than 3 hours. Even then I think the only reason I get we was because it rolled down the tongue and around the top of the boot.
Doc Rogers
Doc Rogers

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:11 pm

SNO-EEZE is some good stuff. Sealed my seat s with it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Doc, did you get the frog togg bike suit, or just a frog togg rain suit?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Ya'll will prob. laugh me out on this, well we all spend small fortunes on our farkles ,, I have a few, but went all out on my rain gear and do not regret it one bit, I went with gore-tex, the "Extreme Wet Weather" version, separate jacket and pants, even in the intense rain storm that blew out my headlight, I had not one wet spot on me. no damn light, but I was dry, the jacket and pants were about $190.00 each. (ouch I know) I had to save up and didn't buy them at the same time. Now still after 3yrs the pants are still like new, and after 2yrs the jacket is also.

go gore-tex, and not worry at all

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Otis56 wrote:even in the intense rain storm that blew out my headlight, I had not one wet spot on me. no damn light, but I was dry,

Yeah, Mark, I can see the cops report. "Don't know how he hit that building but he was dry as a bone!" Shocked Razz Laughing

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:23 pm

simpleman77 wrote:
Otis56 wrote:even in the intense rain storm that blew out my headlight, I had not one wet spot on me. no damn light, but I was dry,

Yeah, Mark, I can see the cops report. "Don't know how he hit that building but he was dry as a bone!" Shocked Razz Laughing

Eric

Eric, I was very very careful to follow other traffic, (kids don't try this at home Cool )

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum