Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blown shocks

+3
jedishon
85V-TWIN
Oldsmobility
7 posters

Go down

Blown shocks Empty Blown shocks

Post  Oldsmobility Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:36 am

Has anyone else had their shocks wear out excessively early? I first noticed my left rear shock was leaking at around 25k miles, which seems extremely premature, although this is my first bike. It is even more strange because I only weigh 150 pounds and almost never ride two up. Just wondering if anybody can tell me what the usual life expectancy on these is, and also, does anyone know what they cost from the dealer?
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Blown shocks Empty Re: Blown shocks

Post  85V-TWIN Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:53 am

on my bike,the shocks are 25 yrs old and i have allmost 36k on the bike.they dont leak but feel a lil wore out.i quoted some from the stealer at $250 a piece.however you can search on cruisercustomizing.com and get em a lil cheaper.good luck Smile
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:10 pm

You can usually get progressives on ebay for around $225 a pair.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:25 pm

$250 a piece... $225 a pair ... I'm used to paying seventy bucks for a set of four shocks. Those prices almost warrant replacing the things with box tubing and calling it a hardtail.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Could be cheaper depending on your bike. The price I mentioned was for a 1300. You might find some cheaper at a salvage yard.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:44 pm

Oldsmobility wrote:$250 a piece... $225 a pair ... I'm used to paying seventy bucks for a set of four shocks. Those prices almost warrant replacing the things with box tubing and calling it a hardtail.

That is what Carrib (Robert) did. Look on Ebay.
Now I had to replace mine prematurely as I had tried the highest setting and turned them the wrong way 5 clicks, twice. I know, I know. You needed to be around when they started to leak and then to explain why I needed new shocks on a 3 month old bike.

Hay I did not say I never made a mistake, altho they are few and far inbetween. ha ha Very Happy Very Happy

Peace Yall
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Progressives aren't cheap. I'm going with them this winter. They sell a pair with lifetime guarntee for $500 a pair. Wow! If I was going to keep the bike that long, I'd go for it.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:15 pm

Wow ... I've never dealt with shocks ... yet. Smile Be sure to post what you find so I'll know what to do when I cross that bridge. I've read good things about progressives though.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  xtradark Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:22 pm

ttexastim wrote:Wow ... I've never dealt with shocks ... yet. Smile Be sure to post what you find so I'll know what to do when I cross that bridge. I've read good things about progressives though.
I fitted progressives to my VT1100 and are very happy with them, progressives springs are softer at one end so they soak up the little bumps better, but still have the strength at the upper end for those bigger bumps and potholes without bottoming out. I think couple progressives with the darkside tire, which I believe soaks up the bumps in the road better, would give a much more comfortable ride. After I get my darkside tire fitted my next project will be progressive fork springs for the front end.
Another thing about progressive shocks is you can get different lengths, the ones I have lower my bike about 1"
xtradark
xtradark

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:38 am

I did progressives on the front, and LOVED IT! The only annoying thing was that I had to make my own spacers cuz progressive doesn't give you enough PVC pipe to make 2 the right length. No problem though. Sounds like you've got your bike running good for you!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum